What is the Historical Origin of the most common Idolatrous Image of Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwallard

Puritan Board Freshman
Unfortunately, you all know which image I'm talking about: white, "hippie" Jesus with flowing locks and blue eyes which the Roman Catholic religion often promotes. A friend put forward to me the theory that was made in the image of Cesare Borgia, an illegitimate son of pope Alexander VI.

I have no idea, so I submit it to y'all who know better: What is the historical origin of this idolatrous image?

When we were church planting in California, the local PCUSA church had a massive stained glass window with a purported picture of Jesus. Rumor had it that the face looked a lot like the artist who designed the window, whose first name was Frank. Ever since then, I have called them "pictures of Frank", since clearly there is no resemblance to Jesus.

When we were church planting in California, the local PCUSA church had a massive stained glass window with a purported picture of Jesus. Rumor had it that the face looked a lot like the artist who designed the window, whose first name was Frank. Ever since then, I have called them "pictures of Frank", since clearly there is no resemblance to Jesus.
My pastor does the same thing with his children, except they use the name “Jeffrey.”

Many years ago, while I was still at Moody Bible Institute, an art historian (who was a Christian) came and did a presentation on the development of the way Jesus is represented in art throughout history. I remember two things from that presentation: (1) the earliest images of Jesus were simply re-purposed images of Apollo, and (2) the general basic image of Jesus that has dominated in the West is based on a generic/composite of the Carolingian rulers. Maybe he was wrong, maybe he was right. But it seems plausible... especially when I look at paintings of those rulers.

There are images of Christ in the Roman Catacombs from the 4th century, and eastern iconography in some monasteries from about the 7th century that depict long hair and a beard. As for blue eyes, I'm not sure when that started...

Apollo? Don't think I've ever seen him depicted with a beard...

There are images of Christ in the Roman Catacombs from the 4th century, and eastern iconography in some monasteries from about the 7th century that depict long hair and a beard. As for blue eyes, I'm not sure when that started...

Apollo? Don't think I've ever seen him depicted with a beard...
The earliest depictions of Jesus had him smooth faced and short haired. They basically drew Apollo and called it “Jesus” since “Apollo was the fairest of the so-called gods, and in reality who could possibly be fairer than Jesus, but the fairest thing they could think of was Apollo,” so he was the model. At least that’s what was said. Kind of like why, when the people left Egypt and wanted to make an idol, they immediately went to a bull.

Images from the Catacombs are many and varied. Yes, some have him with long hair, but scholars agree that all the earliest ones are depictions with short hair and usually no beard.

Many years ago, while I was still at Moody Bible Institute, an art historian (who was a Christian) came and did a presentation on the development of the way Jesus is represented in art throughout history. I remember two things from that presentation: (1) the earliest images of Jesus were simply re-purposed images of Apollo, and (2) the general basic image of Jesus that has dominated in the West is based on a generic/composite of the Carolingian rulers. Maybe he was wrong, maybe he was right. But it seems plausible... especially when I look at paintings of those rulers.
I first read your post as "Apollos", the man who watered but God gave the growth and wondered why they chose him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back