What Is THE Puritan Magnum Opus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lane, I have to confess I'm not very familiar with A'Brakel. How does he compare to others such as Bavinck or Vos? Appreciate your input.

A'Brakel is a Dutch Further Reformation systematic theology that includes ethics, doctrine, and devotional material, all wrapped up in a scholastic methodology that avoids jargon. It is a rather remarkable work, and one that ought to be on the short list of any layman who wants thorough yet understandable treatments of Christian doctrine. Much more basic than Bavinck, yet not trite. Lots more devotional content than Vos, though otherwise fairly similar.

I think Joel Beeke and Mark Jones A Puritan Theology deserves a mention. Particularly for laymen such as myself. An opportunity for an overview to see which authors one might want to delve into further.

A'Brakel is a Dutch Further Reformation systematic theology that includes ethics, doctrine, and devotional material, all wrapped up in a scholastic methodology that avoids jargon. It is a rather remarkable work, and one that ought to be on the short list of any layman who wants thorough yet understandable treatments of Christian doctrine. Much more basic than Bavinck, yet not trite. Lots more devotional content than Vos, though otherwise fairly similar.
Thank you, that's helpful.

Thanks everyone. You have not helped me at all in choosing something to purchase haha

Thanks everyone. You have not helped me at all in choosing something to purchase haha

To be fair, you did ask for what is the ultimate book. Maybe the question needs narrowed to type / size of books you would actually read and or interested in.

The new Beeke/Smalley volume is outstanding as well, and will be four volumes eventually.
I have looked through the sample on the Crossway site and see Beeke's appreciation of Bavinck. But no mention of Vos as far as I can see.

Do you know if he makes good use of Vos' RD in his doctrine of God? One reason I asked is that I was thinking that a quality modern Systematic Theology would make good use of the combined strengths of Bavinck and Vos (as well as outher solid theologians of course!).

Do you know if he makes good use of Vos' RD in his doctrine of God? One reason I asked is that I was thinking that a quality modern Systematic Theology would make good use of the combined strengths of Bavinck and Vos (as well as outher solid theologians of course!).
Beeke's book is probably largely based on his own lectures, and he's been teaching for a long time (note that Smalley is his teaching assistant). Vos's RD just came out a few years ago--my guess would be that the substance of what Dr. Beeke is putting in his ST was settled before Vos was available.

Someone with more inside information is free to correct me.

Beeke's book is probably largely based on his own lectures, and he's been teaching for a long time (note that Smalley is his teaching assistant). Vos's RD just came out a few years ago--my guess would be that the substance of what Dr. Beeke is putting in his ST was settled before Vos was available.

Someone with more inside information is free to correct me.

This is correct. These volumes are largely based on Dr. Beeke's course lectures. From what Paul Smalley told me last week, the last volume will take more time than the initial three as they are covering new ground.

Last edited:
Vos's RD just came out a few years ago--my guess would be that the substance of what Dr. Beeke is putting in his ST was settled before Vos was available.

Those who read Dutch had access to Vos before the recent Lexham publication.

One book that might be the magnum opus is Francis Roberts, The Mystery and Marrow of the Bible: God’s Covenants with Man (London: George Calvert, 1657). I have only dipped into bits of it, however, so I cannot say for definite. (See the extracts from here and here.) From what I recall when last looking at it is a massive work that covers a diverse range of subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back