What is the purpose of a Church Constitution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambrose

Puritan Board Freshman
What is the purpose of a Church Constitution? As distinguished from a Book of Church Order, Government, Worship, etc.?

In reviewing the Constitutions of several churches, my impression is that they may have come about to define the Church's relationship to the civil government and are essentially articles of incorporation. For example, they often cover such things as Trustees and property disputes. This leads me to wonder if these documents only came into being because of the practice of church incorporation, as this requires the Church to set up corporate officers and by-laws. However, that is just speculation on my part. Yet I still wonder if a Constitution is at all necessary for an unincorporated Church.

Greetings Chad,

My brief 2 cents worth:

WCF Chap 25 "of the church" states:

IV. This catholic (universal) Church has been sometimes more, sometimes less visible.[8] And particular Churches, which are members thereof, are more or less pure, according as the doctrine of the Gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and public worship performed more or less purely in them.[9]

V. The purest Churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error;[10] and some have so degenerated, as to become no Churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan.[11] Nevertheless, there shall be always a Church on earth to worship God according to His will.[12]

The constitution is required to describe the structure and order of the church so as to describe how the church will set out to remain "pure". Thus, the constitution often incorporates those other items you have listed or at least makes reference to them specifically by name to accomplish that. The constitution may also include a means to alter the constitution but it is usually quite a lengthy process designed to really test the need to change and therefore prevent rapid departures from the standard that's been set.

Outside of the constitution that defines the subordinate standards (such as WCF, Book of worship etc) & ties those things to the existance of the denomination, those things might be altered, or swapped out at the will/discretion of the congregations etc. For example, the approach to worship might be changed by individual congregations. Elders might be replaced by "leadership teams" and as the WCF describes it may become "less pure".

God bless,

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back