What is wrong with Tim Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalvinandHodges

Puritan Board Junior
Hi:

I believe that Tim Tebow is a Christian, and that he is sincere in his faith to God. I also think that it is refreshing to see a sports figure who is not a drunk, drug addict, woman abuser, animal abuser, or a gambler, but displays an affection for God, and gives all the glory specifically to Jesus Christ. As such, I think that Tim Tebow's faith is one that should inspire many Christians in and out of sports.

What irks me about Tim Tebow is that his wonderful profession of faith is a means to justify working on the Sabbath. The Reformed view of keeping the Sabbath day holy is that we are to refrain from our work and recreations and devote the day to God. That only works of "necessity and mercy" are acceptable activities on the Sabbath day. Mr. Tebow's profession is that of a Quarterback in the NFL. This causes him to work on the Sabbath. Also, I have never seen a learned treatise that claims that the sport of Football falls into the category of necessity nor that of mercy. So, to play it or watch it played on the Sabbath seems to be contrary to the Christian Walk. What worries me is that such a wonderful profession is being used to promote unrighteousness rather than righteousness.

I gleaned this view of the Sabbath from reading the Bible, WSC Q60 and Q61 as well as Richard Gaffin's treatise on, Calvin and the Sabbath, Joeseph Pipa's, The Lord's Day, Walter Chantry's, Call the Sabbath a Delight, and Dennison's, The Market Day of the Soul.

The way to destroy Christianity is to put an end to Sabbath observance.

Blessings,

Rob

Last edited:
Rob, you and I and most everyone else on the board have been blessed by excellent teaching. I know many committed Christians who have no idea that the sabbath is required of them and have had the Bible twisted around so that they don't even see the plain truth in the reading on the subject. This is one area where we can be a witness within the community of faith. To me it seemed so evident because of excellent teaching: I haven't watched a pro game since maybe a month or so after coming to Christ, and no one even had to say that football was a problem; it was the natural outworking of the teaching on the law.

The way to destroy Christianity is to put an end to Sabbath observance.

Blessings,

Rob

So if the Sabbath is eliminated the devil wins?

It would seem that J.C. Ryle had a similar sentiment regarding the desecration of the Sabbath:

It is not too much to say that the prosperity or decay of organized Christianity depends on the maintenance of the Christian Sabbath. Break down the fence which now surrounds the Sunday, and our Sunday schools will soon come to an end. Let in the Hood of worldliness and pleasure-seeking on the Lord’s Day, without check or hindrance, and our congregations will soon dwindle away. There is not too much religion in the land now. Destroy the sanctity of the Sabbath, and there would soon be far less. Nothing in short, I believe, would so thoroughly advance the kingdom of Satan as to withdraw legal protection from the Lord’s Day. It would be a joy to the infidel; but it would be an insult and offense to God.

But the Westminster West thinkers say the Reformers were wrong and didn't take their theology to it's logical conclusion, which is that the Church should have nothing to do with Christianising secular institutions. That would be "cultural transformation" and to be avoided at all cost. So there is no more such a legit thing as a Christian work week as there is Christian education.

Is it a loophole to DVR your fav NFL team and watch them on Monday then? This thread is intresting and never really given much thought but Im a huge NFL guy. and was just thinking this to myself if dvr the games would then be ok.

Is it a loophole to DVR your fav NFL team and watch them on Monday then? This thread is intresting and never really given much thought but Im a huge NFL guy. and was just thinking this to myself if dvr the games would then be ok.
You would still be requiring people to work on the sabbath in order to entertain you. It is not as if it was just shown on Sundays. The entire spectacle is preformed on Sunday. Just food for thought

What's wrong with Tim Tebow?

I know little about Tebow, but I'd assume like most American evangelicals, he has a low view of the Sabbath. Is this really a surprise? (Or is he Reformed or confessional?)

What's wrong with Tim Tebow. He played college football for the University of Florida Gators. 'Nuff said.

He not only works on the Lord's Day, but contributes to the mindless entertainment that distracts from the Lord's Day.

I agree with Eric, that we are to be careful about what we have others do on the Lord's Day. When the fourth commandment is given under the Mosaic covenant, numerous groups are mentioned including the stranger that is within your gate -- a catch-all that would include even those who are unknown to us and outside the faith.

It is interesting to me that the NFL took hold and flourished after most of the US had abandoned even the cultural recognition of a sabbath rest. Before that, people watched football when they should: when the SEC was playing on Saturdays. :)

If I recall correctly, the NFL almost withered and died in the early half of the 20th century. It was TV that saved it. The fact that people could stay home and watch the game saved the league.

If a christian was talented enough do you think they could get signed to a team if they refused to dress on The Lord's Day? Are there enough Monday night games a year for a team to pay a player the minimum salary. Probably a dumb question but I thought I would throw it out there.

If a christian was talented enough do you think they could get signed to a team if they refused to dress on The Lord's Day? Are there enough Monday night games a year for a team to pay a player the minimum salary. Probably a dumb question but I thought I would throw it out there.

Absolutely no way an NFL team would sign a player who refused to play on the Lord's Day.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

You would still be requiring people to work on the sabbath in order to entertain you. It is not as if it was just shown on Sundays. The entire spectacle is preformed on Sunday. Just food for thought

But he's not watching on the Sabbath. If the logic is we shouldn't watch any NFL, even on the other six days of the week because they play on the Lord's Day, wouldn't this logic expect us to not ever eat at restaurants that are open on the Lord's Day? For example, McDonald's is open on Sundays. Even though I won't go there on Sundays, is it wrong for me to eat there Monday since I'm supporting a business that requires people to work on the Sabbath?

But he's not watching on the Sabbath. If the logic is we shouldn't watch any NFL, even on the other six days of the week because they play on the Lord's Day, wouldn't this logic expect us to not ever eat at restaurants that are open on the Lord's Day? For example, McDonald's is open on Sundays. Even though I won't go there on Sundays, is it wrong for me to eat there Monday since I'm supporting a business that requires people to work on the Sabbath?

If I am understanding this correctly, I don't think that logic is right. A closer view might be that we wouldn't eat the food on Monday that was cooked on Sunday, since even if we put off consumption, the production was still done on the Sabbath.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just throwing the idea out there and not trying to be dogmatic. The nfl is a non issue to me anyway so I guess I approach it with an attitude that it is all silliness, as spoken from a man in an apron. I was not attempting to bind anyone's conscious to the notion

If I am understanding this correctly, I don't think that logic is right. A closer view might be that we wouldn't eat the food on Monday that was cooked on Sunday, since even if we put off consumption, the production was still done on the Sabbath.

Good point. You're right that analogy is probably better. Now with that in mind, I'm thinking the majority of restaurants do some sort of prep work the day before, therefore Monday's consumption involved some sort of work on the Lord's Day. Does anyone on the board boycott restaurants all-together or at least consider this implication?

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

I was just throwing the idea out there and not trying to be dogmatic. The nfl is a non issue to me anyway so I guess I approach it with an attitude that it is all silliness, as spoken from a man in an apron. I was not attempting to bind anyone's conscious to the notion

No worries brother. In all honesty, I've struggled to in the past on whether I could in good conscience enjoy NFL games on Monday that I recorded on Sunday. I still don't know the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now see... this is getting awfully close to the pharisaical view of the Sabbath In my humble opinion. We need to be careful about this.

Is the question really what is wrong with Tim Tebow? Or should it be what is wrong with our culture? I have struggled with this myself recently and still haven't found a good answer. I do not watch the NFL or any other professional or college sport, for biblical reasons, including the Sabbath breaking that is involved. But it seems that we have raised up another "popular" Christian and endowed him with almost idol like qualities. He stands for what passes for evangelical Christianity in our day and that is a sad commentary on the church. Examining Tebow and the whole craze has made me grieve over current state of the church and look more and more unto Christ, who alone is able to defend His church and raise her from the dust in which she seems so comfortable!

I do not watch the NFL or any other professional or college sport, for biblical reasons, including the Sabbath breaking that is involved.

Just curious as to why you don't watch college sports since you brought it up and said there were biblical reasons for not doing so.

Hi:

I thank you all for your excellent posts and thoughtful thoughts. I could now use some advise: A short time ago a friend of mine fully endorsed the actions of Tim Tebow in a public forum. He posted a picture of himself and his family all wearing Denver Bronco uniforms, and pointed out that he wished more Christians were like Mr. Tebow. When I pointed out the contents in the above OP on the public forum that he was writing on he then sent me a private message saying that I was being disruptive in the Church because I should have aired my difference with him in private. I then pointed out that he posted on a public forum, and that I replied on the same forum.

What bothers me is that he is an associate pastor in a Reformed church, and he should have known better, or, he should have qualified his endorsement of Tim Tebow. Posting such things as a pastor would cause other Christians to follow the example of Tim Tebow.

What do you think?

Blessings,

Rob

The only problem with Tebow is he is not a Bear. As for the sanctimonious drabble, you turn on the heat, use electricity, running water, drive on the roads, get online etc. By doing these things, you compel someone else to work on the Sabbath.

When I pointed out the contents in the above OP on the public forum that he was writing on he then sent me a private message saying that I was being disruptive in the Church because I should have aired my difference with him in private. I then pointed out that he posted on a public forum, and that I replied on the same forum.

I think your friend is right.
If I posted something in a public forum that was questionable due to a lack of judgment or understanding, I would much rather have a friend say something to me privately than to use the same public forum to try to correct me.

Like the conversations we have all the time on PB? If you say something in conversation in front of folks that is an error (and obvious exception to one's confession of faith) a response from someone would be natural to inform that person and those who just heard what was said. Same goes in a public discussion forum. He needs to get over it and spend more time working on his confessional stance than getting all defensive about how the grievousness of his statements was brought to his attention.:2cents:

I then pointed out that he posted on a public forum, and that I replied on the same forum.

Or maybe the better question is how obligatory is it to qualify one's appreciation of a Christian by pointing out short comings.

Or maybe the better question is how obligatory is it to qualify one's appreciation of a Christian by pointing out short comings.

Ditto.

I don't know the full context of this scenario with Rob's friend, but from the little that is described it doesn't sound like such a bad thing. I too wish more Christians were like Tebow.

The only problem with Tebow is he is not a Bear. As for the sanctimonious drabble, you turn on the heat, use electricity, running water, drive on the roads, get online etc. By doing these things, you compel someone else to work on the Sabbath.

You might benefit from this discourse in Edward Fisher's book, 'The Marrow of Modern Divinity'.

CHARACTERS APPEARING IN THE DIALOGUE:
EVANGELISTA, a Minister of the Gospel
NEOPHYTUS, a Young Christian
NOMOLOGISTA, a Prattler of the Law

EVANGELISTA
. Well, then, I pray you consider, that as the Lord in the third commandment doth prescribe the right manner how he will be worshipped, so doth he in the fourth commandment, set down the time when he will be most solemnly worshipped, after the right manner; and in this commandment there is an affirmative part, expressed in these words, "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy," &c.: that is, remember that the seventh day in every week be set apart from worldly things and business, and be consecrated to God by holy and heavenly employments; and a negative part, expressed also in these words, "In it thou shalt not do any work," &c. That is, thou shalt not on that day do any such thing or work as doth any way hinder thee from keeping an holy rest unto God.

NEOPHYTUS
. I pray you, sir, begin with the affirmative part, and first tell us what the Lord requires of us in this commandment.

EVANGELISTA
. In this fourth commandment the Lord requires that we finish all our works in the space of six days, (Deut 5:13), and think on the seventh day before it come, and prepare for it, (Luke 23:54), and rise early on that day in the morning, (Psa 92:2, Mark 1:35,38,39). Yea, and the Lord requires that we fit ourselves for the public exercises by prayer, reading, and meditation, (Eccl 5:1, Isa 7:10); and that we join with the minister and people publicly assembled, with assent of mind, and fervency of affection in prayer, (Acts 2:42); in hearing the word read and preached, (Acts 13:14,15,44); in singing of Psalms, (1 Cor 14:15,16, Col 3:16); in the sacrament of baptism, (Luke 1:58,59); and in the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, so often as it shall be administered in that congregation whereof we are members, (1 Cor 11:26).
Then afterwards, when we come home, the Lord requires that we seriously meditate on that portion of the word of which we have heard, (Acts 17:11), and repeat it to our families, (Deut 6:7), and confer of it with others, if there be occasion, (Luke 24:14,17); and that we crave his blessing when we have done all this, (John 17:17).

NEOPHYTUS
. And is this all that the Lord requires us to do on that day?

EVANGELISTA
. No; the Lord also requires that we do works of mercy on that day, as to visit the sick, and do them what good we can, (Neh 8:12, Mark 3:3-5), and relieve the poor and needy, and such as be in prison, (Luke 13:16), and labour to reconcile those that be at variance and discord, (Matt 5:9).
And the Lord doth permit us to do works of instant necessity on that day, as to travel to places of God's worship, (2 Kings 4:23); to heal the diseased, (Hosea 6:6, Matt 12:7,12); to dress food for the necessary preservation of our temporal lives, (Exo 1:1); to tend and feed cattle, (Matt 12:11); and such like.

NEOPHYTUS
. I pray you, sir, proceed to the negative part, and tell us what the Lord forbiddeth in this commandment.

EVANGELISTA
. In this commandment the Lord forbiddeth idleness or sleeping more on the Lord's day in the morning, than is of necessity, (Matt 20:6); and he also forbiddeth us to labour in our particular callings, (Exo 16:28-30); and he also forbiddeth us to talk about our worldly affairs and business on that day, (Amos 8:5, Isa 58:13); and he also forbiddeth us to travel any journey about our worldly business on that day, (Matt 24:20); or keep any fairs or markest on that day, (Neh 13:16,17); or to labour in seed time and harvest on that day. In a word, the Lord on that day forbiddeth all worldly works and labours, except works of mercy and instant necessity, which were mentioned before. And thus have I also declared, both what the Lord requires and what he forbids in the fourth commandment. And now, neighbour Nomologista, I pray you tell me, whether you think you keep it perfectly or no.

NOMOLOGISTA
. Indeed, sir, I must confess, there is more both required and forbidden in this commandment than I was aware of; but yet I hope I go very near the observing and doing of all.

NEOPHYTUS
. But, sir, is the bare observing and doing of these things sufficient for keeping of this commandment perfectly?

EVANGELISTA
. Oh no! the first commandment must be understood in all the rest, that is, the obedience to the first commandment must be the motive and final cause of our obedience to the rest of the commandments, otherwise it is not the worship of God, but hypocrisy, as I touched before; wherefore, neighbour Nomologista, though you have done all the duties the Lord requires in this commandment, and avoided all the sins which he forbids, yet, if all this has been from such grounds, and to such ends, as I told you of in the conclusion of the second commandment, and not for the love you bear to God, and the desire you have to please him, you come short of keeping this commandment perfectly.

NEOPHYTUS
. Sir, whatsoever he does, I am sure I come far short not only in this point, but in divers others; for though it is true, indeed, I am careful to finish all my worldly business in the space of six days, yet, alas! I do not so seriously think on and prepare for the seventh day as I ought; neither do I many times rise so early on that day as I ought; neither do I so thoroughly fit and prepare myself by prayer and other exercises beforehand as I ought; neither do I so heartily join with the minister and people, when I come to the assembly, as I ought, but am subject to many wandering worldly thoughts and cares even at that time. And when I come home, if I do either meditate, repeat, pray, or confer, yet, alas! I do none of these with such delight or comfort as I ought; neither have I been so mindful nor careful to visit the sick, and relieve the poor, as I ought: neither can I clear myself from being guilty of doing more worldly works or labours on that day, than the works of mercy and instant necessity. The Lord be merciful unto me! I pray you, sir, proceed to speak of the fifth commandment, as you have done of the rest. But first of all, I pray, tell us what is meant by father and mother.

There are such things as works of necessity. Things that are permissible for the sustenance of life are okay. NFL football is not in the list of necessity for sustenance of life in my estimation. I am not so sure what to make of your comment about sanctimonious drabble. Are you accusing Sabbatarians of Sanctimonious Drabble because they believe that there is a line that is to be drawn concerning what is permissible and not permissible?

That's some charitable language. There are two other issues with this remark. One is that being a sinner oneself does not mean others aren’t, or that they can’t be called out for it. The same prophet who rebuked Jeroboam for his altar disobeyed the word of the Lord and got killed by a lion. If we could only rebuke where we are perfect, well then, you couldn’t have rebuked anyone for “sanctimonious drabble.” The other is that works of necessity are permitted; and certain matters of infrastructure and security are necessary (if not strictly to being, still to well-being): but sports are unnecessary by definition.

1) Any basic reformed discussion of the Sabbath includes provision for the providers of necessary basic services like electricity, water and gas (the internet is questionable perhaps). This has been hashed and rehashed myriad times on the PB and elsewhere. No need to dredge it up again, as it's a non-starter.

2) Are you seriously arguing that those who watch Tim Tebow play football on the Lord's day compel him to do so? There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever to be made between emergency services workers honorably serving the public on the Lord's Day and athletes breaking the 4th commandment. NONE. Your rhetorical attempt lacks both logic and reason.

And more seriously:

[MODERATOR] Characterization of the debate about NFL football as a Sabbath-breaking activity as "sanctimonious drabble" is not acceptable. The position of the confessions is clear, and characterizing adherence to it as "sanctimonious"? You should know better. No more, please. [/MODERATOR]

In this commandment the Lord forbiddeth idleness or sleeping more on the Lord's day in the morning, than is of necessity

Randy are you really good with that?

1) Any basic reformed discussion of the Sabbath includes provision for the providers of necessary basic services like electricity, water and gas (the internet is questionable perhaps). This has been hashed and rehashed myriad times on the PB and elsewhere. No need to dredge it up again, as it's a non-starter.

? The fact that you call firing up the internet on Sunday questionable shows there's a lot of room for bringing the subject up again. You're either buying electricity for something you don't need or you aren't, is my take on it. If there's any question you can go outside and watch the meter turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back