What is your favorite study Bible and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just have to carry a Bible the size of a cinderblock brick because, in an ABC congregation, it would be too difficult for them to figure out what that funny leather book was that you keep quoting from in the pulpit. :lol:

You just have to carry a Bible the size of a cinderblock brick because, in an ABC congregation, it would be too difficult for them to figure out what that funny leather book was that you keep quoting from in the pulpit. :lol:

McFadd,

Everything's whacky on the left coast; come up to Michigan some time and see how Bible-centered and Christ-centered our ABC churches are.:eek:

I primarily use the ESV SB. I also have a Reformation SB, and a MacArthur SB that I reference from time to time.

I give a +1 to Joshua's mention of reading Matthew Henry as well. I consult Matthew Henry via Logos quite often.

McFadd,

Everything's whacky on the left coast; come up to Michigan some time and see how Bible-centered and Christ-centered our ABC churches are.

"Whacky on the left coast"??? Hey, we were the ones that pulled out of the ABC for reasons of biblical authority. Last time I checked, Zach, you were still in the body of the beast. :lol:

On the other hand, your executive minister is a very good man. Mike is one of the orthodox guys striving to work in a corrupt system. He is unabashedly evangelical (I remember when he was the world mission support guy in West Virginia) and walks a tightrope dealing with places like Woodside in Flint (AWAB) and those where my old buddy Joe Kutter pastored before becoming the ED of the Ministers Council ABCUSA. Joe was 17 years in churches like Dearborn Heights and Royal Oaks and unashamedly in favor of gay ordination. Your region is copying the pattern of Paul Borden up in northern California by flying under "Growing Healthy Churches" in order to get away from the "ABC" moniker. Mike has constantly agitated against the rampant liberalism of the ABC and used the fact that 40 or his 160 congregations were in danger of leaving the ABC if they didn't knock off the gay advocacy stuff as leverage with the VF brass.

My favorite is the NASB MacArthur study Bible. Great notes, great defenses of the five points and other doctrines, although it is dispensationalist.

ESV Study Bible. I like the notes, articles, maps and graphics. I appreciate the online version because that bad boy is way too heavy to cart around.
Kudos the ESV Reformation Study Bible. I also still consult my NIV Study Bible from time to time.

ESV Study Bible. I like the notes, articles, maps and graphics. I appreciate the online version because that bad boy is way too heavy to cart around.
Kudos the ESV Reformation Study Bible. I also still consult my NIV Study Bible from time to time.

I've gotta ditto the online ESV Study Bible...I can access it from my Blackberry and give the Bible to someone who wants to evaluate whether or not to purchase it.

Sometimes what i'll do is read the passage on a normal Bible, then go to my blackberry and check the study notes.

ESV Study Bible
ESV Reformation Study Bible

John MacArthur has a one-volume commentary on the whole Bible. Is his notes in that commentary the same as his notes in the MacArthur Study Bible?

I like the Reformation Study Bible, and the Complete Matthew Henry in One Volume.
The Thompson Chain Reference Bible, though, is one of my favorites because of all the cross-references. A Study Bible that employs the Scripture inteprets Scripture principle is hard to beat.

I was wondering about the Bibles most people use on the PB for their personal study. I have several Bibles and different translations but my favorite is my KJV Thompson Chain Reference. Here are the reasons:

1. KJV: preference of underlying text (not KJV only), it's been around a long time, and the beauty of the language.
2. Thompson Chain Reference: the best reference system available, no notes but a lot of study helps, very high quality Bible for the price (especially if you get the genuine leather). :book2:
I also use the Thompson KJV. My most favorite is the NKJV Reformation Study Bible, edited by Sproul. I have supplemented the RSB with items I have removed from the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible (the Confessions), the Open Study Bible (the Cyclopedic Reference), and MacArthur's Study Bible (the topical reference). I have all these inserts taped into the back of my NKJV RSB. Sort of a poor man's version of a customized Study Bible. ;)

Right now I am reading the 2007 NLT Study Bible and have to say I am impressed with it in many areas, while finding some problematic areas. But it is not too bad. My litmus test for this translation is to read it along with Bekhof, Grudem, and Bavinck's theology texts and see if the arguments made in these texts is supported by the translation. A Cambridge Pitt Minion version of the NLT, a reference edition, will be published on or around Aug 10, 2009.

AMR

Last edited:
NKJV MacArthur Study Bible is my favorite as I love reading the explanatory and devotional notes along with the scripture. There are historical and geographical explanations to the text given as well. I've used this one for years and really love it! I do have the Thompson Chain Reference as well and use it occasionally.

:ditto: Except that I prefer the NASB edition. I also use the RSB-ESV but not as often.

Me too. I tend to use that more than my other one (The Reformation Study Bible by Ligonier), but enjoy both.

Personally, I think the NIV Reformation Study Bible is the best Reformed study Bible. It is really well done and is just chalk full of great notes. Two problems, though, NIV and the print is a little small (though not as small as the NIV Archaeological Bible! How do people even read that for longer than 10 mintues???). And to be fair, the print is the same size as a lot of diferent reference Bibles - I just have eyes that tire easy.

I don't really read from study bibles anymore though because the print is usually too small and my eyes get too tired from reading for too long. Right now I read a text HCSB and use various different commentaries as I go through different books. I listen to David Payne reading the HCSB text as well so as to give my eyes a break while reading (I read and listen at the same time).

I would reccomend buying the Ref. study Bible's notes via libronix (logos bible software) and that can be synced with any bible of your choice. For personal use the ESV study BIble as replaced the great notes in the NIV study Bible (though I am not a fan of the translation because it just doesn't read well) in terms of theological quality. The problem with the ESV study bible is the size but I think it its well worth this small disadvantage.

exegeses ready research bible

Anyone have the 1993 Exegeses Ready Research Bible. Published in 1993 by World Bible Publishers. A literal and transliteration of the KJV with Strong's Concordance.

Paul Borden's model

Your region is copying the pattern of Paul Borden up in northern California by flying under "Growing Healthy Churches" in order to get away from the "ABC" moniker.

Not entirely. A full-on Bordenization would involve giving the region way more power than any true Baptist would be comfortable with.

This is probably not the place for this discussion, but I'd very much like to hear your opinion on Borden's methods and philosophy. I pretty much lump his ideas in with a Saddleback/Willow Creek law-lite sort of a confusion of Law and Gospel.

In fact, in my recent "Manifesto-type" sermons, "The Church Must Be Gospel Driven" (part 1 & part 2), I told about a gathering of the conservative regions at Green Lake, during which Rev. Borden (although I did not name him in the sermon, of course) made a case for the "self-feeder" nonsense that came out of the Reveal study... I'd personally rather contend with some liberalism than that "seeker-friendly," "felt needs," "aaaalmost emergent" stuff.

RL Allan

I have the Allan ESV in Highland Goatskin, and a Cambridge NIV, also in goatskin.

If you haven't tried a true, quality Bible -- please do.

It's expensive, but so are $300 boots and $1000 rifle, and I wouldn't hunt bear or deer in rifle season without either.

I love the ESV Study Bible. However sometimes I will use The Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible simply because it contains many of the Confessions and Catechisms in the back and links to them in the study notes but the downside is that it is NIV.

I have the Allan ESV in Highland Goatskin, and a Cambridge NIV, also in goatskin.

It's expensive, but so are $300 boots and $1000 rifle, and I wouldn't hunt bear or deer in rifle season without either.

I've had my eyes on an Allan ESV1 for sometime now... saving my pennies...

Worth every one of those pennies...

Though the Cambridge Single Column NIV is a wonderful reading Bible...

I bought an Allan ESV2 and was somewhat disappointed for what I paid for it. The pages are wavy, there are no maps, and no Book introductions. The paper doesn't seem as good as some Cambrige Bibles I own. However, the leather is top notch with semi-yap edges, and I like the red under gold gilded pages.

ESV Study Bible
ESV Reformation Study Bible

John MacArthur has a one-volume commentary on the whole Bible. Is his notes in that commentary the same as his notes in the MacArthur Study Bible?

Basically, yes. But it is expanded with more info, the outline is incorporated and there are more illustrations, maps and biographical info. It's a great resource.

I use my old Nelson NKJV Study Bible first. The notes are basic and show some insight. There is an interesting influence of covenant theology mixed with a dispensational perspective. It's due for rebinding pretty soon. I don't think I can replace it.

MacArthur and Sproul are my main two study Bible references though. Both are near at hand whenever I study. When we do devotions I use the Nelson, my wife uses the Mac and my son uses his Reformation, all in NKJV. It's helps stimulate our discussion.

The Thompson Chain reference is great. I haven't used it in years, but the reminder here is good for me. I'll have to break it out again. I'd like to pick up an ESV study Bible for reference too, but am not willing to shell out the clams for it right now. Maybe on Logos one day...

Classic Concord with M/Psalms - Calfskin
Centre Reference Authorised (King James) Version
two marker ribbons
bold-figure cross references
self-pronouncing text
page summary heading
Bible word list
eight colour maps and gazetteer

Product Code: PS8U
ISBN (Black): 9781862283237

After that a Thompson Chain.

I agree with larryjf:
I prefer using a regular Bible and a separate commentary. That way i can switch commentaries and i'm not chained to one in particular.

Right now I'm reading KJV, and the Matthew Poole Commentary along side
Matthew Henry is good too.

However even if I change commentaries, the KJV I shan't change. I'm hoping before I die to know it so thoroughly that the exact words of any text I ever need will come into my mind whenever I need them -- and so if ever I can't read it or even hear it read, I can still read it and meditate on it inside my own head.

Esv - NASB

I first read the KJV. But after 2 years changed to the NASB (tha't the version Paul preached out of) :)

I now read the ESV. And occasionaly the NASB.

I bought an Allan ESV2 and was somewhat disappointed for what I paid for it. The pages are wavy, there are no maps, and no Book introductions. The paper doesn't seem as good as some Cambrige Bibles I own. However, the leather is top notch with semi-yap edges, and I like the red under gold gilded pages.

Interesting -- that has not been my experience. I've been pleased with the Allan ESV in every regard.

I'll add a comment -- I had to look high and low for a Bible without notes or helps -- My other Bibles have aides a-plenty, but sometimes they are distracting, and then I prefer an unadorned, clearly laid out text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back