What is your favorite study Bible and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite?

Why the Authorized 1611 King James bible! The only REAL word of God there is!

Study bible? That's the words of MEN! Why would I FOLLOW THE WORDS OF MEN??

I only follow the true word; the 1611 AV!!

Oh wait...nope that's not right...

I meant to say I have Logos Bible software and I'm waiting for the ESV but presently like what everyone else does...the Mac and the Reformed.

:lol:

1599 Geneva Bible, 1599 Geneva Bible, 1599 Geneva Bible, Nothing beats the 1599 Geneva Bible!

MacArthur NASB and Reformation Study Bible (ESV). I had an old KJV/NIV parallel bible that I used for a good 3-4 years before it fell apart on me. I considered the ESV Study Bible, but after looking at it in the store and reading and pouring over my friend's copy, I think I'll stick with my two choices.

Now if only I can find an ESV/NASB parallel bible...I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one buying it!

I copied most of the notes and outlines from seminary (especially Kelly and Pratt) into my ESV single-column reference Bible (which is still huge, BTW). The verse-per-line format is awkward to read, but leaves a ton of space for notes.

I have the New Geneva/Reformation Study Bible and also the KJV

:westminster:I have the New Geneva/Reformation Study Bible and also the KJV of the Bible.
I read and study from both. I am still new to Protestantism and the Reformed faith as a Presbyterian. :oops:I still have a copy of my roman catholic bible from when I was a roman catholic. I rarely open it any more and only if I am curious to see if there is any contradistion to the KJV or The Reformation Study Bible. :amen:

In Grace,
Dudley

My 1599 Geneva and 3-volume Matthew Poole go together like pancakes and maple syrup. And bacon.

Yum.

Why? Because the Reformers themselves participated in translation and wrote the notes, because it is a 'rebel's Bible', and because it's just the coolest thing since a cherry-vanilla Dr Pepper with extra strawberries at Sonic.

My favorite Bible was the signed Spurgeon devotional bible I found in a charity book sale during seminary that paid for a semester of tuition (thanks Chuck!).

These days I do get a fair amount of play out of my ESV study bible. I tend not to be really big on Study Bibles though...

A devotional bible signed by Spurgeon!? AND YOU SOLD IT?!!?!??!
I was in Seminary and had a pregnant wife. We needed the cash. It did pay for a whole semester, though. The guy I sold it to doesn't live very far from where I am now (I was in Scotland at the time) - maybe I should track him down and go visit the Bible. :)

Here is Phil Johnson's blog post on the Bible.

Honestly, though - no signature is worth $2500 to me. Well, maybe Jesus'. I have a couple of other old bibles and God provided it for me at the right time.

I was on a roll in Seminary - I also got a hold of a copy of the first edition of August Toplady's Psalms & Hymns (1776) for something like $40 (which I made by selling a book I'd bought for $2 for $200)...which I've held on to. Though if someone offered me $2500 for it, it'd be in the mail as well! :)

Personally, I think the NIV Reformation Study Bible is the best Reformed study Bible. It is really well done and is just chalk full of great notes. Two problems, though, NIV and the print is a little small (though not as small as the NIV Archaeological Bible! How do people even read that for longer than 10 mintues???). And to be fair, the print is the same size as a lot of diferent reference Bibles - I just have eyes that tire easy.

I don't really read from study bibles anymore though because the print is usually too small and my eyes get too tired from reading for too long. Right now I read a text HCSB and use various different commentaries as I go through different books. I listen to David Payne reading the HCSB text as well so as to give my eyes a break while reading (I read and listen at the same time).

I agree, though I have pretty much ALL the good ones: Sproul's, MacArthur's, ESV Study Bible, archaeology Study Bible, Apologetics Study Bible, Geneva Bible. S.O.T.R is the most complete, but I used them all. I'm really starting to like the ESV Study Bible, but it's just so darn big.

-----Added 8/7/2009 at 09:47:19 EST-----

You just have to carry a Bible the size of a cinderblock brick because, in an ABC congregation, it would be too difficult for them to figure out what that funny leather book was that you keep quoting from in the pulpit. :lol:

I have long had an idea ( and I know it's probably not a good one for numerous reasons ) of making something like the ESV Study Bible -- or Spirit of Reformation -- into 2 or 3 nicely bound volumes. It would make room for Extra large font size and additional study notes and NOT be too unwieldy to carry. Then of course the obvious problem(s) of loosing one of the volumes, or taking the volume to church that wasn't being addressed that day.

I was in Seminary and had a pregnant wife. We needed the cash. It did pay for a whole semester, though. The guy I sold it to doesn't live very far from where I am now (I was in Scotland at the time) - maybe I should track him down and go visit the Bible. :)

Well, I can't blame you there. You would deserve a good smack on the face if you neglected your family for the sake of a signature by a mere man. Good on you! :)

I prefer a nice ASV in red leather with a brief concordance at the back.

I recall a criticism of the Schofield bible for putting in headings in the body of the text reinforcing the dispensationalism. It apparently broke some bible translation rule about imposing onto the text. Since then I have been keen to keep my commentaries etc... seperate

Anyone have the 1993 Exegeses Ready Research Bible. Published in 1993 by World Bible Publishers. A literal and transliteration of the KJV with Strong's Concordance.

I used to have one, and do have the CDRom they sold before Herb Jahn died. It has some good word study - especially rendering the same Hebrew/Greek word with the same English word (even if he did sometimes make one up!). His dictionary in the back was excellent. However, a few problems

1) He believed the Peshitta was the original NT, not a translation of the Greek
2) He rendered Jesus' name as "Yah Shua", which has never been found in any Hebrew or transliteration of the Hebrew before the Sacred Name movement invented it. (It should be "Yeshua" or "Yehoshua")
3) Some of his statements moved from orthodox Christianity toward sacred nameism - I think he believed that "Jesus" comes from "Zeus".

i own the typical reform study bibles listed above, but i have to admit that i do like the criswell study bible

The ESV Study Bible is the most comprehensive I have seen and the online feature is very convenient. Plus, you can bench press it.

I was wondering about the Bibles most people use on the PB for their personal study. I have several Bibles and different translations but my favorite is my KJV Thompson Chain Reference. Here are the reasons:

1. KJV: preference of underlying text (not KJV only), it's been around a long time, and the beauty of the language.
2. Thompson Chain Reference: the best reference system available, no notes but a lot of study helps, very high quality Bible for the price (especially if you get the genuine leather). :book2:

That is the bible my Grandfather used. He was a Baptist Pastor for over 40 years. I prefer the KJV as well. I trust it more and test the renderings of all other versions against it for accuracy. I can't say why, it just feels more authoritative.

I would like to get a Thompson Chain KJV myself.

However, at home I read these listed in order of usefulness:

Macarthur Study Bible NKJV
Reformation Study Bible ESV
ESV Study Bible
Scofield Study Bible ESV
Catholic Study Bible NAB

I own a Rainbow Study Bible Living Translation. I don't recommend it.

I also use Matthew Henry's commentary of the whole bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back