Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious to see what are the favourite translations. Feel free to briefly comment on why you love a particular traslation, but I don't want this to be a Bible translation debate.

Because I believe the TR and the Byzantine texts to be superior, I prefer the AV or the NKJV. When I want to see how a more modern translation words a particular passage, I will normally use the NASB or ESV.

I put the ESV, though I am torn between it, the NASB, and the KJV. It's like asking which of my children I love most.

Just curious to see what are the favourite translations. Feel free to briefly comment on why you love a particular traslation, but I don't want this to be a Bible translation debate.
The main translation that I had been using for majority of my time saved has been the 1977 edition of the NASB version, but also did use the 1984 Niv for just skimming purposes, and noe also using quite a bit the Esv version, as to me it read much like a modernized version of the KJV...

I start with the ESV for personal study and devotional reading, and nearly always use it in my writing. So in terms of the amount I use it, the ESV is far and away my top choice.

But when I teach children under the age of 12 or so, I often turn to the 1984 NIV for classroom activities or for reading along, because most kids find it easier to follow and take to heart. I collect, repair, and keep repairing old NIVs for that purpose, and travel to Bible camps and such with a small suitcase full of them.

Finally, I love the sound of the KJV, probably the greatest English translation ever made, which is sheer beauty at times for reading aloud.

Note for clarification: I realise many (myself included) love more than one translation. I was just courious to see what generally is you most preferred translation

My favorite translation is the KJV hands down. There isn't really a close second. I've tried to like the ESV, but keep going back to the KJV. Most of the commentaries, sermons, lectures, etc. that I read are from guys long dead who used the KJV, so I suppose its just what I'm used to.

That said, for casual reading I've been enjoying the NIV lately -- not the 1984, but the 2011. Not long ago I received a RL Allan NIV Proclamation Edition as a gift and it's been a joy to read through.

I had to give it to the AV, though I like the NIV quite a bit, and use it to make sure I'm 'getting' passages that I might find obscure. I also use the NASB and NKJV. The ESV not so much.

The KJV will always have a firm place in my heart, but the NASB has become my favorite because of its readability and formal equivalence to the original text (s).

I see the HCSB has not received any votes. I thought its Optimal equivalence approach may appeal to some on the Puritanboard.

I see the HCSB has not received any votes. I thought its Optimal equivalence approach may appeal to some on the Puritanboard.

I know there are a few who do appreciate the HCSB, but perhaps it is just not their favorite. It might seem that a middle of the road approach, such as optimal equivalence, might appeal to a large audience, but in my experience most people would prefer either a fully literal version or a fully idiomatic version. As Lyle Lovett once wrote "If you're going out to California, then don't linger in New Mexico."

Bill, I appreciate your colorful analogy, but I think the HCSB reads the way language naturally flows today. I think it has the right balance between acknowledging that individual words mean something, and yet also is aware of idiomatic expressions, and larger levels of discourse. Of course, most of the translations listed in the poll have such an awareness. It is merely a question of degree. I like the ESV, but I have just enough annoyance with some of its English choices (as in bad English), that it cannot be my first choice.

Bill, I appreciate your colorful analogy, but I think the HCSB reads the way language naturally flows today. I think it has the right balance between acknowledging that individual words mean something, and yet also is aware of idiomatic expressions, and larger levels of discourse. Of course, most of the translations listed in the poll have such an awareness. It is merely a question of degree. I like the ESV, but I have just enough annoyance with some of its English choices (as in bad English), that it cannot be my first choice.

Rev. Keister,

What are your thoughts on the new CSB?

I am excited to see it. I think that going back to LORD from "Yahweh" is actually a good move, making it a more standardized translation. I also think removing "Holman" from the title will make it more attractive as well. I would really like to see more resources available in that translation. Until they come up with a Study Bible as good as the ESV Study Bible, the translation will probably not take off as I think it should.

None of the above...I use a Spanish translation - which we all know is the language we will speak in the eternal state! :)

NVI, La Biblia de las Americas (similar to NASB), Reina Valera 1960 (Similar to NKJV) - in that order.

Last edited:
HCSB reads the way language naturally flows today. I think it has the right balance between acknowledging that individual words mean something, and yet also is aware of idiomatic expressions, and larger levels of discourse.
I wonder who did the 1 vote for the HCSB :)

I prefer the ESV, having read it regularly since just after it was first published in 2001.

I note that the NKJV is 35 years old this year (published in 1982) and that the translators haven't tinkered with it at all, as far as I know. It's the same text as first published 35 years ago. Very unusual for a Bible translation.

I prefer the ESV, having read it regularly since just after it was first published in 2001.

I note that the NKJV is 35 years old this year (published in 1982) and that the translators haven't tinkered with it at all, as far as I know. It's the same text as first published 35 years ago. Very unusual for a Bible translation.
They claimed to have used the same text sources as the KJV had, so no surprise that they have not updated anything, as their source material has not changed!

I love the KJV (and much prefer its text family) but I simply have too many difficulties with it to use as my daily Bible even though my favorite print Bible is a Clarion KJV that I use especially when I check my translation work from Hebrew or Greek thanks to the more meaningful pronouns in the KJV compared to contemporary translations.

Anyhow, as such, I use the NKJV for my devotions and family worship, which I find to be a very much under-appreciated contemporary translation. As it also comes from the TR texts, it like the KJV, is in conformity with my Confessional Standards (see the Lord's Prayer). As noted by the brothers earlier, it also doesn't have a shifting edition put out every couple of years.

I love the KJV (and much prefer its text family) but I simply have too many difficulties with it to use as my daily Bible even though my favorite print Bible is a Clarion KJV that I use especially when I check my translation work from Hebrew or Greek thanks to the more meaningful pronouns in the KJV compared to contemporary translations.

Anyhow, as such, I use the NKJV for my devotions and family worship, which I find to be a very much under-appreciated contemporary translation. As it also comes from the TR texts, it like the KJV, is in conformity with my Confessional Standards (see the Lord's Prayer). As noted by the brothers earlier, it also doesn't have a shifting edition put out every couple of years.
Have you tried out the Modern version Bible, as believe that it is the KJV put into current grammar? Also, have you tried the WEB bible, as that is based upon the Greek Majority text?

David, I have not looked into either. Though I believe that one of my professors at the Seminary, Dr. Watt, was involved with the MEV translation project. Between the NKJV and the KJV, I am more than satisfied with my English Bibles, so haven't felt a need to look elsewhere.

When a Reformed Church gets involved in a translation project then my interest would be piqued!

David, I have not looked into either. Though I believe that one of my professors at the Seminary, Dr. Watt, was involved with the MEV translation project. Between the NKJV and the KJV, I am more than satisfied with my English Bibles, so haven't felt a need to look elsewhere.

When a Reformed Church gets involved in a translation project then my interest would be piqued!
They did, as the Reformed Church was involved, along with Baptists, in the original Niv translation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back