• Kiwi Bible (I could not resist :-) )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...it still uses those old thee and thous...

Unless I am mistaken, the NASB 1977, like the RSV, uses these types of pronouns only in speech directed toward deity. It does not use them in any other context. So, because of this, you will not find "ye" (second-person plural) in the NASB 1977.

Unless I am mistaken, the NASB 1977, like the RSV, uses these types of pronouns only in speech directed toward deity. It does not use them in any other context. So, because of this, you will not find "ye" (second-person plural) in the NASB 1977.
Believe that you are correct, and also have read that when they smoothed over the reading tone of it in 1995, there was some loss of the literalness...

The Nasv can be hard to read at times, due to them trying to preserve into English the Greek Verb tenses it seems!

EVS. I want to get the single column journal bible. I'll have to wait for my birthday bc it's pretty pricy.

I'm a CT guy. I've been reading the NASB since 1979, but I appreciate the literary structure of the KJV.
What did you think of the update done in 1995 to Nas, and think another one due out 2018? just trying to figure out just when a bible version should actually be updated, as should that be done only when they is a real and legit need for such?

What did you think of the update done in 1995 to Nas...

Just putting the two translations beside each other in Accordance (Accordance has this awesome comparison feature that highlights differences between two texts of the same type and language), the differences are so minuscule and few-and-far-between that, had I not had the comparison tool in Accordance, I wouldn't have even been able to find anything.

The most notable (and common) changes are in English usage. For example, nobody uses the word "shall" (1st person future tense; 2nd and 3rd person imperative) anymore. Most of them have been changed to "will." Also, as has been previously noted, the older forms of the 2nd person pronouns have been changed to common usage (for better or for worse). As I said before, these pronouns were rendered useless by the fact that they were only ever used in prayer or speech to deity; they could only then ever be 2nd person singular.

The translations are really hardly different, as far as I can tell.

What did you think of the update done in 1995 to Nas, and think another one due out 2018? just trying to figure out just when a bible version should actually be updated, as should that be done only when they is a real and legit need for such?

Anymore that is conservative. In that time frame the ESV would have had 10 updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back