What Kind Of Accent Do You Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no accent.

I am from Boston, and only have an accent that is "diet Bostonian" if I hang out with my cousins for a couple of days, or if really think about the way I used to talk before I came to Florida where everyone has no accent.

"Park the car in Harvard Yard" becomes "Pawk da ca en Havad yad."

After I read the Puritans for an hour or two, that same sentence sounds like this:

"Geeves, my good man, 'mind pulling around the Bently? We're off to a picnic on school grounds." :rofl:

richaccentkc7.gif

Interesting. I grew up as a Military brat and have never really lived in the Northeast but both my parents are from New London, CT. I guess I have a slight NE accent. Scott definitely sounds like someone from that region.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

How did their mom-n-em know I lived near Lanta?

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland

Boston

North Central

The Inland North

The Northeast

Philadelphia

The South

Amazing, I was born and raised in Vermont but matriculated in Chicago and settled in Wisconsin. Over the years, ridicule of my New England accent forced me to mid-westernize it. My family sound like hill people to me now.

Sorry John, I started typing 'hicks' (sorry Josh), then 'hayseeds', then 'hillbillies' then opted for a more politically correct 'hill people'. Of course I meant it as the most endearing of terms. Beneath my very thin veneer of midwest sophistication I am a Vermont hillbilly and always will be.

PS, for the sake of my southern brethren I only refer to that war in the 1860's as the War of Northern Aggression. One of many ways the PB has changed me. Besides, a bunch of my Acadian ancestors fought for the Confederacy in that war.

Sorry John, I started typing 'hicks' (sorry Josh), then 'hayseeds', then 'hillbillies' then opted for a more politically correct 'hill people'. Of course I meant it as the most endearing of terms. Beneath my very thin veneer of midwest sophistication I am a Vermont hillbilly and always will be.

:rofl:

It says I have a midland accent, I'm from North Florida (southern Ga.), but have lived in various places.. North Central...says I'd have a good radio or TV voice..
hahaha...they are funny.

Tennessee, Texas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Georgia, Southwestern Pa. (which has a very distinct accent, I can pick out in a crowd)

I changed my answer from pray...and it was still payphone ringing..

I went back and changed many answers...so it really doesn't matter what the answers seem to be...it's still the same...

Last edited:

PS, for the sake of my southern brethren I only refer to that war in the 1860's as the War of Northern Aggression. One of many ways the PB has changed me. Besides, a bunch of my Acadian ancestors fought for the Confederacy in that war.

Are you talking about the Civil War? If so, the side that wins names the war/battle...so Civil War is correct.:cheers:

I don't know Andrew, referring to any war as 'civil' is like saying a terrorist was 'responsible' for the death of many. There is nothing 'responsible' about blowing innocents up. The news readers should start saying 'the terrorist was irresponsible for the deaths of many'.

Hey, what was this thread about? Oh yeah, accents. Tehehehehehe.

I came out as NorthEast; it wasn't really any more specific than that. Of course I speak the Queen's English, and I resent the implication that I might speak any foul American perversion of the One True dialect. Everyone knows that us Aussies have no accent, it is the rest of the world that speaks funny (actually, Kiwis and Taswegians are about the closest to Received Pronunciation.)

]
I think of it as the War between the States, seems the most accurate descriptor of a conflict that I don't want to take sides in.

Midland with South a close second. Can't get the code to work here, but it works here.

I have lived in Louisiana all my life. I say "y'all" and "fixin to" and other Southern expressions, but I tend to talk rapidly at times which makes some folks think I'm from another part of the country. Working for a guy from Northern New Jersey years ago has also had an influence that comes out occasionally. My parents, my father moreso, do not have as strong of a drawl as do some here.

Last edited:
Myaccentresults.jpg

I've only ever lived in the West. I do not have an accent. :candle: However I am a born mimic and I pick up not only accents but speech patterns from people very quickly. I remember swimming in a hotel pool in Victoria, BC when I was about 9yrs old with some southern kids and my sister and I came back to the room with southern accents. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back