What means "Or, the 'trent'" in Geneva notes for Ezekiel 1:18

Status
Not open for further replies.

russelljohnson

Puritan Board Freshman
In the Geneva notes on Ezekiel 1:18, it says (for the word "rings"):

Or, the trent.

I have checked dictionaries, both old (1828 Webster's) and new, both American and British, and the only definitions I've seen for "trent" are:

• the Trent River - in either England or Canada
  • Trento, Italy - site of the Council of Trent
Obviously, it means something else, but what?

Thanks.

MY 1928 Websters has an entry in the bottom margin listing trent as an obsolete form of intransitive verb "to trend".

Not that this is any clearer. I looked it up in a facsimile pdf and I can't tell if the word is "trent" or "greus."

Attachments

• Ez 1.18.jpg
    Ez 1.18.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 14
MY 1928 Websters has an entry in the bottom margin listing trent as an obsolete form of intransitive verb "to trend".

Not that this is any clearer. I looked it up in a facsimile PDF and I can't tell if the word is "trent" or "greus."

Hmm! It looks like different editions of the Geneva Bible have quite different alternatives for this margin note:

I originally saw

Or, the trent.

in my printed 1599 Geneva Bible -- published by Tolle Lege Press.
I had checked it against Bible Gateway's 1599 Geneva Bible, and that agreed.

Your facsimile PDF looks to me like it instead has "greus".

And my printed KING JAMES BIBLE WITH THE (1599) GENEVA BIBLE NOTES (1672) -- published by Still Water Revivals Books -- has "strakes".

Is your Webster's 1828 (like mine) or 1928? Mine has no such bottom margin listing "trent".

Thanks.

Is your Webster's 1828 (like mine) or 1928? Mine has no such bottom margin listing "trent".

Mine's a 1928 edition. On each page at the bottom (sometimes it takes up a third of the bottom of the page) are short entries for obsolete words whose spellings fall withing the range of the main part of the page.

Someone may have changed it as trent, middle low german for ring, as noted above, might have been a bit obscure even then and someone replaced it?

Here's your answer: "Trend" originates from Middle English "trenden", which means to roll, turn, revolve. Sometimes applied to a ring.

Trend Synonyms, Trend Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

I saw this entry on the side of the above linked page (emphasis added):

Word Origin & History
trend 1598, "to run or bend ina certain direction" (of rivers,coasts, etc.), from M.E.trenden "to roll about, turn,revolve," from O.E. trendan,from P.Gmc. *trandijanan (cf.O.E. trinde "round lump, ball," O.Fris.trind, M.L.G. trint "round," M.L.G. trent"ring, boundary," Du. trent"circumference," Dan. trind "round");origin and connections outside Gmc.uncertain. Sense of "have a generaltendency" (used of events, opinions,etc.) is first recorded 1863, from thenautical sense. The noun meaning "theway something bends" (coastline,mountain range, etc.) is recorded from1777; sense of "general tendency" isfrom 1884. Trend-setter first attested1960; trendy is from 1962.

Someone may have changed it as trent, middle low german for ring, as noted above, might have been a bit obscure even then and someone replaced it?

Didn't see your post until after I posted my latest. Yes, I think that must be what happened.

It appears to be "trent" in three editions given here: William Whittingham (c.1524-1579) / 5 titles, 8 vols. | PRDL
I checked the Oxford English Dictionary and it pointed me to "trend" and under the verb in the etymology, it has 'trent MLG ring'. Middle Low German apparently.

Sorry, like VictorBravo, I

Didn't see your post until after I posted my latest. Yes, I think that must be what happened.

My thanks to both you and VictorBravo for your helpful responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back