What must I do to be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A person must believe that they are a sinner, that they are condemned and separated from God, the maker of all things as a result, that they must confess and receive him by faith as their substitution for sin. :think:

Knowledge (Notitia), a cognitive function, is the foundation of saving faith. Men must “love the truth in order that they may be saved” (2 Thessalonians 2:10). “Faith” that is devoid of knowledge is “believing the lie” that ultimately condemns (2 Thessalonians 2:11-12).

Assent (Assensus) cognitively provides the conviction that the knowledge so acquired about Christ is indeed true and one’s spiritual needs are actually (not merely experientially) met by the provisions of Christ’s gospel. The unsaved can know the gospel’s propositions, and clearly comprehend how these propositions play their part in the Good News, yet still not believe in their factual truth or that they meet his or her needs spiritually. For example, see Matthew 21:25; Mark 11:31; Luke 1:20; John 2:22; Acts 8:12; Romans 4:3, and much more.

Trust (Fiducia), can be viewed as Clark relates it to assent: “as assent is cognition passed into conviction, so trust is conviction passed into confidence” (Religion, Reason, and Revelation, Gordon H. Clark). Confidence is the most characteristic act of saving faith, for the sinner transfers reliance for pardon, cleansing, righteousness in complete abandonment to Christ—joyfully received and rested upon for his salvation. This is an essential component of faith, otherwise a person’s “faith” is just the same as those of demons (James 2:19 and Matthew 8:29), who possess no cognitive love for Christ—instead they cognitively hate Christ—refusing to trust Him.

Matthew 24:10, Matthew 24:12; 1 Timothy 1:19; 1 Timothy 4:1; 1 Timothy 4:10, Hebrews 6:4-6; 2 Peter 2:20-22 all teach that “temporary faith” exists, and it is not true faith in Christ as described above. Just as in Matthew:

Mat 13:20 As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy,
Mat 13:21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while [endures = proskairos = temporary], and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away.

Likewise, as in 2 Peter 2:20-22, we find the Scriptures teaching that it is quite possible to have exhilarating and uplifting experiences of the power of the gospel, to have close contact with forces operating in the kingdom of God’s grace, such that the effects produced in a person are indistinguishable from those produced by true regenerating and sanctifying grace. Yet these experiences do not partake of Christ nor are its experiencers heirs to eternal life. These persons who have this temporary faith were never one of the elect of God, were never regenerated, and thus are not true believers. The prima facie evidence of their temporary faith is that they fall away from the faith, as John so rightly states in 1 John 2:19.

Have you ever considered Mark 10 : 17 - 31

Quote"
17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. 19You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'[d]"

20"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."

21Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"

24The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is[e] to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

26The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?"

27Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

28Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

29"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. 31But many who are first will be last, and the last first." " end quote

The young man started already with the wrong question, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" He couldn't do anything.
"With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." God has to do it.

Next read verse 29 - 30 there is no quantity of believing, there is a quality.

Now if we meet someone and his life style is that of a Christian but he is attending a false churchs then we should discipline him with brotherly love, as in pointing out the false teachings of the church. We should take care of the lost sheep!!!

Next is; when is someone "ready" to become a (professing)(partake lord supper) member of your/the church. This will be in your church order. But I think the important thing is that the person understands what it means to be a member of your/the church. This is why churches have catechism classes and preprofession classes.
I think it is the duty of a christian to seek a truth believing church, but in the end GODS WILL BE DONE. we can not say he or she is not saved, he/she might show that he/she is not saved. Let us as saved show them what this means end tell them that it is there duty, there purpose to give honor to GOD.

Feunekes

What about our confessions and catechisms?

Heidelberg Catechism

Question 21. What is true faith?
Answer: True faith is not only a certain knowledge, whereby I hold for truth all that God has revealed to us in his word, but also an assured confidence, which the Holy Ghost works by the gospel in my heart; that not only to others, but to me also, remission of sin, everlasting righteousness and salvation, are freely given by God, merely of grace, only for the sake of Christ's merits.\

If we're saved sola gratia, sola fide, it seems this definition of true faith would be helpful. Of course, the catechism goes on to the list the articles of the Apostle's Creed has the things that a Christian must surely believe.

Is that just faith or saving faith?

Question 32: How is the grace of God manifested in the second covenant?

Answer: The grace of God is manifested in the second covenant, in that he freely provides and offers to sinners a Mediator, and life and salvation by him; and requiring faith as the condition to interest them in him, promises and gives his Holy Spirit to all his elect, to work in them that faith, with all other saving graces; and to enable them unto all holy obedience, as the evidence of the truth of their faith and thankfulness to God, and as the way which he has appointed them to salvation.

Question 72: What is justifying faith?

Answer: Justifying faith is a saving grace, wrought in the heart of a sinner by the Spirit and Word of God, whereby he, being convinced of his sin and misery, and of the disability in himself and all other creatures to recover him out of his lost condition, not only assents to the truth of the promise of the gospel, but receives and rests upon Christ and his righteousness, therein held forth, for pardon of sin, and for the accepting and accounting of his person righteous in the sight of God for salvation.

Seems this would be what we would have to know.

Question 73: How does faith justify a sinner in the sight of God?

Answer: Faith justifies a sinner in the sight of God, not because of those other graces which do always accompany it, or of good works that are the fruits of it, nor as if the grace of faith, or any act thereof, were imputed to him for his justification; but only as it is an instrument by which he receives and applies Christ and his righteousness.

Last edited:
What about this? Do you have to know this?

CHAPTER XV.
Of Repentance Unto Life.

I. Repentance unto life is an evangelical grace, the doctrine whereof is to be preached by every minister of the gospel, as well as that of faith in Christ.

II. By it a sinner, out of the sight and sense, not only of the danger, but also of the filthiness and odiousness of his sins, as contrary to the holy nature and righteous law of God, and upon the apprehension of his mercy in Christ to such as are penitent, so grieves for, and hates his sins, as to turn from them all unto God, purposing and endeavoring to walk with him in all the ways of his commandments.

III. Although repentance be not to be rested in as any satisfaction for sin, or any cause of the pardon thereof, which is the act of God's free grace in Christ; yet is it of such necessity to all sinners, that none may expect pardon without it.

IV. As there is no sin so small but it deserves damnation; so there is no sin so great that it can bring damnation upon those who truly repent.

V. Men ought not to content themselves with a general repentance, but it is every man's duty to endeavor to repent of his particular sins, particularly.

VI. As every man is bound to make private confession of his sins to God, praying for the pardon thereof, upon which, and the forsaking of them, he shall find mercy: so he that scandalizeth his brother, or the Church of Christ, ought to be willing, by a private or public confession and sorrow for his sin, to declare his repentance to those that are offended; who are thereupon to be reconciled to him, and in love to receive him.

The Apostles Creed is really the truly fundamental statement to that end as well.
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended into hell. [See Calvin]

The third day He arose again from the dead;

He ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost;
the holy catholic church;
the communion of saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting.

Amen.

I used to say the AC at the beginning of every Rosary. All Roman Catholics do. How does this advance the conversation with a RC or EO?

As many have already said it, the best way has been seeing the "fruit" produced in the life of said believer. I certainly don't believe there's a specific list one must subscribe, since simply put, all growth and knowledge is provided by the Holy Spirit. And for whatever reason, the elect grow and develop at different rates. In the same sense, not all Christians when they are called home will possess the same amount of knowledge.

But I like how Spurgeon reportedly put it.

If God would have painted a yellow stripe on the backs of the elect I would go around lifting shirts. But since He didn’t I must preach "whosoever will" and when "whosoever" believes I know he is one of the elect.

To have a credible profession of faith must you know

The law, what you have repented of and what you are turning to?

So what exactly is the bare minimum that someone must believe to be saved? I am coming more into contact with groups like the Eastern Orthodox and Catholic traditions whose churches teach much false doctrine. But what about the individuals? I think most of us would say that there are individuals who are Christians even though they are in the apostate Catholic church, but how do we determine this? What key doctrines are absolutely non-negotiable? Please provide specific Scripture references if you can!

:detective:

I should have been more nuanced in my response above. Sufficiency is the key.

The issue with many EO/RC is believing the Gospel rather than doing the Gospel. The Apostle's Creed is the Gospel! Most catechized Roman Catholics have knowledge of the facts of the Gospel. What they don't believe is the sufficiency of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus applied by the Holy Spirit through faith in Jesus Christ alone. RC teaching (and Orthodox) is an admixture of "graceful" works.

A trained Roman Catholic will balk, rightly so, at an accusation of works righteousness. So don't accuse them of believing in "earning their way to heaven." This might fly with a bone ignorant Roman Catholic but not one with much of a knowledge of his faith. Tridentine teaching excludes Pelagianism (and many forms of Semi-Pelagian) as a viable belief for Catholics. A knowledgeable Roman Catholic in good standing will believe that from beginning to end all of the works necessary to salvation were initiated, sustained and completed by God's grace.

Our impatient society pressures us to twitter and elide every godly concept down to a crass slogan. Slogans are useful but we need to be careful. Justification is by grace through faith. If we are not careful we turn faith into a work.

Stress the external nature of the Gospel. The Gospel is not what we have done with God's help. We do nothing. It took me literally years to come to terms with this. In fact before I finally embraced the truth of salvation, I got to a stage where I wished it were true. As wretches we want to crow bar our way in to the solution no matter how wonderful the Gospel sounds. It is something we continue to struggle with. This is where Roman Catholicism is such a delusion. Our grace wrought works are every bit as damnable as the works done outside of God's help. Sin taints the works of believers as well as non-believers. I spent thirty minutes trying to explain this to a Roman Catholic New Testament professor a couple of years ago. I think I got through to him what I was trying to say. It is up to the Holy Spirit to make him believe it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back