What other denominations do well and not so well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Apologist

Puritan Board Freshman
Being raised in a conservative Baptist family, it wasn’t hard to look on other denominations as heretical abominations. However, as I have grown, matured and become friends with many Christians from every denomination there is, it’s almost impossible for me to maintain that view. Matter of fact, I’ve come to appreciate what I feel they do well. Based on my experience ( exceptions not withstanding ) this is what I feel other denominations to well, along with what they don’t do so well.

Lutherans:
Pros- possibly the best Christ centered preaching I have ever heard. Exceptional teachings of Salvation by Grace through faith.
Cons- over emphasis on sacraments, un healthy dependence on Luther. Roman Catholic corruption of the Decalogue.

Baptist:
Pros- best evangelism practices ( hands down). Importance of sanctification. Balanced teaching of Scripture.
Cons: Too legalistic. Overly autonomous. Unwillingness to entertain better interpretations of scripture, despite greater explanatory scope and power.

Presbyterian:
Pros- Outstanding grasp on the doctrines of Grace and the sovereignty of God. High value on education. Church government.
Cons- Can be intellectually snobbish. Over emphasis on logic

Catholics:
Pros- probably the best scholarship on ethics. They really are doing a lot of work in this area, and the irony is not lost on me.
Cons- they are apostate so, everything else.

Please enderstand, this is a generality and is not true for everybody. Still, this is largely what I have observed, and what I have come to appreciate about these other denominations. I expect a fair amount of disagreement, but I’m curious what you guys have found. Have you noticed what other denominations seem to do well? I think it’s ok that we disagree. We don’t have to fear disagreement and we should be able to take criticism; it can be a good thing, nobody is perfect. That said, I think we should also acknowledge what we do exceptionally well.

As a former LCMS Lutheran, I think the Lutheran's liturgy is very well done, although any Lutheran preaching I ever heard was pretty shallow, tending to little tales from life experiences, which sometimes reflected the Biblical readings.

I don't think they rely TOO much on Luther. I think they rely too much on being in the middle betwixt Rome and those dreadful Calvinists. ;)

Another con is def baptismal regeneration. I saw that work out in real life, and it wasn't so good in many instances.

Being raised in a conservative Baptist family, it wasn’t hard to look on other denominations as heretical abominations. However, as I have grown, matured and become friends with many Christians from every denomination there is, it’s almost impossible for me to maintain that view. Matter of fact, I’ve come to appreciate what I feel they do well. Based on my experience ( exceptions not withstanding ) this is what I feel other denominations to well, along with what they don’t do so well.

Lutherans:
Pros- possibly the best Christ centered preaching I have ever heard. Exceptional teachings of Salvation by Grace through faith.
Cons- over emphasis on sacraments, un healthy dependence on Luther. Roman Catholic corruption of the Decalogue.

Baptist:
Pros- best evangelism practices ( hands down). Importance of sanctification. Balanced teaching of Scripture.
Cons: Too legalistic. Overly autonomous. Unwillingness to entertain better interpretations of scripture, despite greater explanatory scope and power.

Presbyterian:
Pros- Outstanding grasp on the doctrines of Grace and the sovereignty of God. High value on education. Church government.

Catholics:
Pros- probably the best scholarship on ethics. They really are doing a lot of work in this area, and the irony is not lost on me.

Please enderstand, this is a generality and is not true for everybody. Still, this is largely what I have observed, and what I have come to appreciate about these other denominations. I expect a fair amount of disagreement, but I’m curious what you guys have found. Have you noticed what other denominations seem to do well? I think it’s ok that we disagree. We don’t have to fear disagreement and we should be able to take criticism; it can be a good thing, nobody is perfect. That said, I think we should also acknowledge what we do exceptionally well.

I can appreciate your opinions on the different denominations you have mentioned but there is a danger in trying to encapsulate entire movements using just "pros and cons". For starters, most of the members on this board do not consider the RCC to be an orthodox denomination, to which you alluded to when you called them apostate. Secondly, there are so many different strains of Baptists, Presbyterians, and even Lutherans that it negates using broad-brush statements.

One of the benefits I have gleaned from my time on the Puritan Board is an appreciation for different practices within orthodox Christianity. I have learned much from my Presbyterian brethren and even from other Baptists. One of the things that surprised me is that, like Baptists, not every Presbyterian denomination is like-minded in all their beliefs and practices. Over the years I have read respectful disagreements between brethren and learned a lot in the process. The main takeaway for me is that orthodox Christianity is not monolithic in all areas. That fact should serve to keep us diligent in understanding what we believe and why we believe it (Acts 17:11).

Which ones?

Which ones?

Which ones?

Er...

Yep. Do ELCA, ABCUSA, PCUSA, and Richard Rohr-style Roman Catholics and you'll have trouble making any of these work. The PCUSA has us confessional Presbyterians outnumbered in this country even as they continue to shrink, too.

Lutherans:

Baptist:

Presbyterian:

Catholics:

Baptists range from free will gospel, Dispensational, reformed, independent, so do have to define further that group.

Assuming you mean Bible-centric Presbyterians, the emphasis on covenant and the development of Biblical theology are likely our strongest contributions to the faith. :2cents:

I can appreciate your opinions on the different denominations you have mentioned but there is a danger in trying to encapsulate entire movements using just "pros and cons". For starters, most of the members on this board do not consider the RCC to be an orthodox denomination, to which you alluded to when you called them apostate. Secondly, there are so many different strains of Baptists, Presbyterians, and even Lutherans that it negates using broad-brush statements.

One of the benefits I have gleaned from my time on the Puritan Board is an appreciation for different practices within orthodox Christianity. I have learned much from my Presbyterian brethren and even from other Baptists. One of the things that surprised me is that, like Baptists, not every Presbyterian denomination is like-minded in all their beliefs and practices. Over the years I have read respectful disagreements between brethren and learned a lot in the process. The main takeaway for me is that orthodox Christianity is not monolithic in all areas. That fact should serve to keep us diligent in understanding what we believe and why we believe it (Acts 17:11).

Bill, we all know you're just here for the doughnuts. And quit hogging all the glaze ones! LOL

this church is a part of the ELCA. http://www.herchurch.org/
From their 'about us' page:
We are fortunate to have pagans, non-theists, yogis, spiritual seekers of all sorts as well as Christians, Jews, Muslims, and life-long Lutherans as members of our faith/spiritual community.

I admit a certain (blessed) ignorance of the ELCA, but I had thought that the PCUSA was furthest off the rails - this takes the cake. :barfy:

I did attend an ELCA church meeting once. Once was enough for me. :barfy: The sermon from the female pastor was just fluff.

I am currently a member of a Baptist church. This applies to this congregation: The pro's: Very bible focused and they a very friendly toward the members--not overly legalistic but strong on Biblical standards when it comes to moral issues. They speak often about the sovereignty of God. The Sunday sermons are meaty and bible based.

Cons: They are a number of dispensationalists in their number. (I am a Covenantalist) The small group material tends to be fluff.

I must admit that all of the Presbyterian churches near me are PCUSA, I was in my early 20's before I realized that not all Presbyterians were liberal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back