What Partial Preterism NEEDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Ok, I hope someone can tell me these exist already and where I can find them.

1) The Olivet discourse is 100% COVERED! I do not need any more books that go over this. I practically have the PP's response to Matthew 23-24 memorized!:p

However this is what I would love to find!

2) A complete and total commentary on Revelation. A few books mention some passages, but I would like to know DeMar's, Gentry's Sproul's, someone who is a partial preterits take on the book of Revelation from beginning to end.

3) Something that takes the Dispensational's views on the Millennium, including all the passages they use to cite as proof on Christs 1000 year reign from the throne of David in Israel, then debunking them. Passages in Daniel, Zacharia, and all the other places Dispensational's INSIST is speaking of the 1000 year reign.

I may need more to complete my study and feel confident defending it, but if I had these two things I would be very happy.

Anyone know of any?

Paul? I mean you got me started on this!:bigsmile:

[Edited on 1-11-2004 by houseparent]

Check out Mount Olive Tape Library. You can rent Bahnsen's 63 lectures series over the book of Revelation for $.25 a piece. Gentry, Demar et.al. are Partial Preterists because they were students of Bahnen's at RTS when he taught there.

Originally posted by houseparent
Ok, I hope someone can tell me these exist already and where I can find them.

1) The Olivet discourse is 100% COVERED! I do not need any more books that go over this. I practically have the PP's response to Matthew 23-24 memorized!:p

However this is what I would love to find!

2) A complete and total commentary on Revelation. A few books mention some passages, but I would like to know DeMar's, Gentry's Sproul's, someone who is a partial preterits take on the book of Revelation from beginning to end.

3) Something that takes the Dispensational's views on the Millennium, including all the passages they use to cite as proof on Christs 1000 year reign from the throne of David in Israel, then debunking them. Passages in Daniel, Zacharia, and all the other places Dispensational's INSIST is speaking of the 1000 year reign.

I may need more to complete my study and feel confident defending it, but if I had these two things I would be very happy.

Anyone know of any?

Paul? I mean you got me started on this!:bigsmile:

[Edited on 1-11-2004 by houseparent]

Vos' "Pauline Eschatology"
Cambell's "Israel and the New Covenant"
Chilton's "Days of Vengeance"
Gentry's "He Shall Have Dominion"
Bahnsen/Gentry "A House Divided"
Mathison's "Wrongly Dividing the People of God"
Terry's "Biblical Hermeneutics"
Allis' "Prophecy and the Church"
Stuart's "Commentary on Revelation"

In one way or another these works will cover your eschatological, hermeneutical, and covenantal needs, I believe.

Also note, historic dispensationalism is about dead. The final mound of dirt may need to be thrown on top, but notice that Dallas has even moved into a more progressive dispensationalist direction. I realize the zeal and fun it can be to attack traditional dispensationalism, but recognize it for what it is. A cute relic of the past that was bad for the American Church during the 20th century. I recognize that there are still an handful of pastors in pulpits that promote a thoroughly Dispensational view, but it is definitely on the wane.

openairboy

Originally posted by openairboy
I realize the zeal and fun it can be to attack traditional dispensationalism, but recognize it for what it is. A cute relic of the past that was bad for the American Church during the 20th century. I recognize that there are still an handful of pastors in pulpits that promote a thoroughly Dispensational view, but it is definitely on the wane.

openairboy

Actually, outside Reformed circles, in funamentalist and independent non-denominational baptistic churches, 9 out of every 10 pastors have a theology that differs little from the original Scofield. Block and Blaising have done good work, but for the majority of Dispensational churches, I would be surprised if they even knew they existed.

Originally posted by fredtgreco

Actually, outside Reformed circles, in funamentalist and independent non-denominational baptistic churches, 9 out of every 10 pastors have a theology that differs little from the original Scofield. Block and Blaising have done good work, but for the majority of Dispensational churches, I would be surprised if they even knew they existed.

Maybe, but I have definitely seen it dying, especially in people that are 35 and under, which is my key demographic, so maybe some older folk still hang-on, but as Dallas puts more people into "Bible churches" the last few heeps of dirt will be thrown on Scofield's coffin. I believe the intellectual battle is over, but, as Schaeffer pointed out, it takes some time for that to trickle down to the man in the streets. A few years back a friend of mine was at the ETS, I think it was, and Blaising gave a presentation on progressive dispensationalism. An old school Dispensational raised his hand and asked, "Then what's left of dispensationalism?" Maybe this made me sing a dirge too quickly, but my interaction with folk tell me it is well founded.

Then again, you are in Mississippi, so Scofield's notes may still be terribley influential through the "Bible belt".

openairboy

[Edited on 1-11-2004 by openairboy]

Originally posted by openairboy
I realize the zeal and fun it can be to attack traditional dispensationalism, but recognize it for what it is. A cute relic of the past that was bad for the American Church during the 20th century.

:amen:

1. They need to start publishing Josephus War of the Jews Books 3-6 with Matthew Chapter 24 as the front page.

2. A movie of A.D 70.

Originally posted by Slippery
1. They need to start publishing Josephus War of the Jews Books 3-6 with Matthew Chapter 24 as the front page.

2. A movie of A.D 70.

Somebody told me that Mel Gibson made a couple extra bucks off a movie called "The Passion". Maybe he could give it a go. Of course the charges of anti-semitism would be outrageous!

In all seriousness, for some reason in the back of my mind I thought I remember a site that said that he was actually contemplating it. If not what a great rumor! J/K...

I considered the charges of antisemitism, but it is the truth. Jesus predicted the destruction within his generation, so it is within this context the movie should be shown.

But the way this culture is, I guess accusations of antisemitism might make it not a wise choice.

I considered the charges of antisemitism, but it is the truth. But the way this culture is, I guess accusations of antisemitism might make it not a wise choice.

Who cares? I have found out the hard way that you will not please everybody. There will always be charges of racism (i.e. mentioning R E Lee's name without an anathema is a hate crime) and "hate-speech," let us accept the fact that there will be cries of "Hilter Redivivus!" and get on with it.

:ditto: Indeed. Politics is literally the art of governing, or the art of getting things done. Therefore, political correctness is incorrect and non-political.

Originally posted by Finn McCool

Who cares? I have found out the hard way that you will not please everybody. There will always be charges of racism (i.e. mentioning R E Lee's name without an anathema is a hate crime) and "hate-speech," let us accept the fact that there will be cries of "Hilter Redivivus!" and get on with it.
:ditto: I'l follow close behind you, since my courage is not at that level as yet.

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
:ditto: Indeed. Politics is literally the art of governing, or the art of getting things done. Therefore, political correctness is incorrect and non-political.

Wow...deep:bigsmile:

ditto: I'l follow close behind you, since my courage is not at that level as yet.

Thank you. My courage, however, will not be expended in the movie business; the Lord has called me to other battles. IF you want to put fire in your soul (and I need this more than anybody else, go to here and look for the lectures by Dr. Joe Morecraft III on the Reformation, or even better, look for his sermon, "If the foundations are shakened, what can the righteous do?"

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by Finn McCool]

Originally posted by Me Died Blue

Thanks! I can't wait to use that!

Milton S. Terry includes a commentary on Revelation in "Biblical Apocalyptics." I would describe his view as Preterist-Idealist.

Originally posted by Paul manata
Chilton has a commentary on revelation (Paradise Restored, I think). He wrote it as a PP but became FP on his deathbed.

Chilton's commentary on revelation is called Days of Vengeance - out of print, but available free in electronic format from Gary North's group at http://www.freebooks.com/sidefrm2.htm

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by Philip A]

Going on secodhand sources, I would stick with Paradise Resotred. Bahnsen supposedly criticized Chilton on Days of Veangence.

Excellent, thanks for pointing that out. Pardon me for stating the obvious, but Bahnsen carries a whole lot more credibility than North!

Has anyone listened through the 22 tape series on Revelation by Ken Gentry?

Originally posted by houseparent
Has anyone listened through the 22 tape series on Revelation by Ken Gentry?

no, but now I would like to!

And does anyone have an answer for my Calvin question?

No, he didn't completely stay away from it, but he never wrote a commentary on it.

You can download every lecture by MP3 through Covenant Media's website, or you can rent them through Mt Olive Tape Library.

While Gary North has lost some street cred with his Y2K debaclle, I think he does a good job of wrestling with the text in certain areas, especially in his "Victim's Rights".

openairboy

openairboy

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by openairboy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back