What philosophy books should every Reformed theologian read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Please supply a list of the most pertinent books on philosophy that Reformed theologians ought to read.

It may be useful to divide your lists into the works of earlier philosophers and modern commentators.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't have much to recommend, but the two on my shelf are:

1. Robert L. Dabney - The Sensualistic Philosophy
2. John M. Frame - A History of Western Philosophy and Theology

Plato: Republic, Phaedrus, Euthyphro.
Aristotle: Metaphysics
Medieval philosopher-theologians should go without saying (Augustine, Anselm, Thomas, etc.)
Descartes: Meditations
Hobbes: Leviathan
Reid: Essays on Human Understanding
Kant: Critique of Pure Reason, Critique of Practical Reason
Hegel: Phenomenology of Spirit
Kierkegaard: Sickness unto Death, Concluding Unscientific Postscript, Training in Christianity
Feuerbach: The Essence of Christianity
Marx: Das Kapital
Nietzsche: Genealogy of Morals
Heidegger: Being and Time
Wittgenstein: Philosophical Investigations
Austin: How to do Things with Words
Ricoeur: Interpretation Theory, Fallible Man
Buber: I and Thou
Plantinga: Warranted Christian Belief

Most of these, obviously, I recommend because of their impact, not because they are right.

I second the mention of Frame's History of Western Philosophy and Theology. I'm about a third of the way into it. So far, it's quite good.

Gordon Clark's "Thales to Dewey", "Intro. to Christian Philosophy", Religion, Reason and Revelation, just to name a few....

In addition to Philip's list:

Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy

it is fascinating how things have changed. A generation ago, Herman Dooyeweerd's New Critique of Theoretical Thought] would have been included on someones list. Thankfully we have moved on.

In addition to the worthy titles listed already, I had a project reading much of the corpus of Gordon Clark a few years back (9 volumes) and found it quite proftiable (I am NOT a Clarkian). There is something to be said for getting a consistent presentation of a philosophy of history, science, education, etc. from a single author and perspective.

C.E.M. Joad "Teach Yourself Philosophy" and Volume I of Francis Schaeffer's Collected Works.

A shorter, punchier read on Marx's materialistic philosophy of history and eschatology is "The Communist Manifesto"

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

R.C. Sproul's The Consequences of Ideas is an excellent read. The book introduces you to the greatest thinkers and thoughts of the history of philosophy. Sproul's Not a Chance: God, Science, and the Revolt against Reason is also another good small book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back