What Scriptures this refers to in this sermon quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I've my guesses below but am not satisfied; I think the Isaiah is not really right; but what think ye? Am I missing something obvious? This for the Dickson on Lamentations sermons.
There was no nation God fought for as for them, for He went as captain and leader of them and guard. The soldiers stood by till He slew their enemies ere ever they drew a sword and when they were to pursue their enemies He broke in upon them as a mighty flood of waters [Josh. 5:13; 10:10, 11; Isa. 28:2, Deut 20:4, Judges 4:15; 2 Sam. 5:20], and taught His people sometimes such stratagems of war that their enemies were forced to acknowledge that they had a more skilled general and leader of their armies than any people under heaven. Therefore they called the gods of Israel, mighty, strong gods, out of |130| whose hands their gods were not able to deliver [cf. 1 Kings 20:23; 1 Sam. 4:8]

Also this, which as to fire, given the context of war, seems to imply something other than the plagues Egypt and Elijah at Mt. Carmel. I found hailstones in Joshua 10 but not fire. Also which battle was it that a flash flood destroyed the enemy? I recall a preacher saying a flash flood in a wadi was in view and my memory and all I cannot find what I'm looking for. As to responses and directions one could adduce many examples Moses and Joshua.
For messengers were sent for them from heaven, to direct them and fight for them. Fire, hail, etc., fought for them. Their food was rained from heaven to them and every necessary thing was provided for them from heaven. They got responses and directions from heaven​

Also this, which as to fire, given the context of war, seems to imply something other than the plagues Egypt and Elijah at Mt. Carmel. I found hailstones in Joshua 10 but not fire. Also which battle was it that a flash flood destroyed the enemy? I recall a preacher saying a flash flood in a wadi was in view and my memory and all I cannot find what I'm looking for. As to responses and directions one could adduce many examples Moses and Joshua.
For messengers were sent for them from heaven, to direct them and fight for them. Fire, hail, etc., fought for them. Their food was rained from heaven to them and every necessary thing was provided for them from heaven. They got responses and directions from heaven​
The flash flood you are thinking of is probably Judges 4-5, which neutralized Sisera's 900 iron chariots. Fire from heaven could include 2 Kings 1.

Thanks Bruce. I think I'm going with the Judges 4:15 as best fitting the context. Thanks everyone. The MS I'm working with rarely adduces scripture references so it was set as a practice to try to run down all apparent citations and note them. Thanks for your help everyone. I sure hope to finish my last full read of this MS this week. I started the project in September and this is way over time. But I think it was an important find and hopefully will be published some way.
flooding: 2 Kings 3 (N.B. v14)

For as applicable as Lamentations is to a church in need of repentance, reformation and restoration, Lamentations seems to be under-represented in sermons and commentaries. Thanks for doing this, Chris. I can't wait to read it.

For as applicable as Lamentations is to a church in need of repentance, reformation and restoration, Lamentations seems to be under-represented in sermons and commentaries. Thanks for doing this, Chris. I can't wait to read it.
I am happy to have worked (working) on it. It is as I've indicated a very nice find and presents principles of arguing from the book that are sobering but needful for a church declined away from purity of God's worship to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back