What Seminary 'Produces' the Best Preachers?

What Seminary "Produces" the best Preachers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot my alma mater, Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary!

Hello, Mr. Eshelman!!! :D Yes, I was going to mention PRTS -- my husband and I met you last month there at Dr. Murray's conference on Biblical evangelism. Typed up my notes from that conference and sent them around to a couple of dozen people/families... who all enjoyed them immensely.

I vote for PRTS.

Given that the product of most seminaries is mediocre at best, the poll seems a bit nonsensical. As a former member of a candidates and credentials committee, I've listened to a lot of "fresh faces" work their way through the licensure/ordination process. I must say that I’ve never heard a good preacher who was the result of a seminary environment.

Related question; if you have to choose, would you want a man who is a good preacher but a poor pastor or vice versa?

Given that the product of most seminaries is mediocre at best, the poll seems a bit nonsensical. As a former member of a candidates and credentials committee, I've listened to a lot of "fresh faces" work their way through the licensure/ordination process. I must say that I’ve never heard a good preacher who was the result of a seminary environment.

Related question; if you have to choose, would you want a man who is a good preacher but a poor pastor or vice versa?

Good preacher.* This is essential. There are the other elders who can pastorally care for the people, too.

*it all depends on how you define "good". Does it mean accurate or persuasive or what?

What do you mean by "good preacher"?

When I think of "good preacher" I think of someone who can expound the Scriptures (ability to deliver is always an added plus, but I don't think it matters.)

When I look at what the Scriptures teach about elders, it says they are to be "apt to teach", but they should also have shepherding hearts. So often, I think, men who love to teach, but have no "heart" for the flock take on the roll of pastor. They often end up falling flat on their faces, because they are not able to shepherd the flock. Those men belong in strict teaching rolls (In my humble opinion).

If God calls someone, He also equips them with the gifts necessary to complete the task at hand.

When I think of "good preacher" I think of someone who can expound the Scriptures (ability to deliver is always an added plus, but I don't think it matters.)

I wonder if that's the whole idea. Some of my friends who are in the pastoral ministry are wonderful teachers of the word in small groups, and are very skilled in expounding the Scriptures, but are really lousy preachers behind the pulpit.

Good preacher.* This is essential. There are the other elders who can pastorally care for the people, too.

*it all depends on how you define "good". Does it mean accurate or persuasive or what?

"Good preacher" was not defined in the OP. I suspect it is a somewhat subjective term.

I have to disagree with your premise, however, "other elders who can pastorally care for the people". I believe that pastoral gifts are primary for all the elders. Some are also qualified to preach and teach. I don’t think a "good preacher" who cannot pastor ought to be the leader of a congregation. After all, we do not typically refer to them as "senior preachers" but rather senior pastors, etc. E.g., see PCA BCO 23-1; 1 Tim. 5:17.

I wonder if that's the whole idea. Some of my friends who are in the pastoral ministry are wonderful teachers of the word in small groups, and are very skilled in expounding the Scriptures, but are really lousy preachers behind the pulpit.

That is true, but even so, I would much rather have a pastor who is a good teacher, but lousy preacher, AND has a shepherd's heart than a pastor who who preach, but can't shepherd.

REALLY? 8 for WTS PA? Is that because you guys have only ever heard of that one seminary or ....? [Not saying you are wrong, I'm just surprised]

I too was surprised to see that Covenant was not on the list. I guess it must be under "other" along with catholic and mormon.
I am probably biased in favor of Covenant, but I have heard several good preachers who have graduated from there.

I think Westminster, PA gets it's recognition for the pastors it has graduated in the past, not the ones it currently graduates. I voted for it for that reason.

Covenant scares me a little because it's more Broadly Evangelical than Truly Reformed, or so it seems to me.

If I were to attend a seminary, I would attend one of the RTS campuses, hands-down, but then I would not be going to seminary to be a pastor anyway.

I think Westminster, PA gets it's recognition for the pastors it has graduated in the past, not the ones it currently graduates. I voted for it for that reason.

Covenant scares me a little because it's more Broadly Evangelical than Truly Reformed, or so it seems to me.

If I were to attend a seminary, I would attend one of the RTS campuses, hands-down, but then I would not be going to seminary to be a pastor anyway.

Interesting observation, brother. I certainly have strong reservations about Covenant. It is the only seminary of the PCA. I would encourage students to consider Mid-America in Indiana, Puritan Reformed, Greenville, WTS in California or RTS in Charlottee.

Last edited:
I have to vote for PRTS not just because it is my seminary, but because PRTS is one of the only seminaries to emphasize experiential preaching.

I voted for my own seminary (Mid-America Reformed Seminary) because all the professors are ministers and have experience preaching themselves, the curriculum places great emphasis on preaching, and of course I know some fellow students who I believe are "good preachers." Perhaps a more objective way of determining an answer to the question in the OP would be to compare the number of classes offered that have to do with preparation and delivery of sermons. :)

Sounds exactly like RTS Jackson

I voted for my own seminary (Mid-America Reformed Seminary) because all the professors are ministers and have experience preaching themselves, the curriculum places great emphasis on preaching, and of course I know some fellow students who I believe are "good preachers." Perhaps a more objective way of determining an answer to the question in the OP would be to compare the number of classes offered that have to do with preparation and delivery of sermons. :)

Hi:

Students who leave Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary (not on list) have preached 90 sermons. I think this seminary should be high on the list.

-CH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back