What should such a sick soul do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (The Throne of Grace), Works 1:84:

When the danger of sin is seen, and the wrath it deserves is perceived, then perplexing fears, and sensible sorrow, work in the soul. Now, what is the course such a poor creature should take? The sin is committed, the guilt is contracted, the conscience is defiled, the defilement is seen, disturbance and trouble is felt in the conscience; what should such a sick soul do? Will any say to him, Wash thyself where thou canst, and cast away the burden of thy sin the best way thou canst, and then come to the throne of grace? This would be strange gospel indeed. We know no other course a man should take in this case, but coming to the throne of grace, to have the conscience sprinkled with the blood of Christ, the only cordial for a disturbed conscience, and the only purger of a defiled conscience. Therefore Peter was quite out in his prayer; he prayed backward, when he said, Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord, Luke 5:8. Were ever those words uttered at the knees of Jesus Christ? He had said better, if he had prayed, “Lord, come near to me, and abide with me, and let me ever abide with thee: for I am a sinful man. Where can a sinful man be better, than with the Saviour of sinners?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back