What sorts of teaching can/should an unordained layman do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoretical

Puritan Board Professor
In trying to think in a confessionalist direction, I'm at an impasse on what sorts of informal theological instruction and discussion that I should conduct with fellow Christians. Also, what should I do where my doctrinal views differ from the practice of my particular congregation (most notably Sabbath and RPW issues), where my views more fit a strict subscriptionist position when my church falls into a "good faith" category? I don't say this to bash my church, which is the first where I have received quality elder shepherding and that has given me a framework to thrive spiritually.

For instance, I have about 4-5 peers at my university and a few other people I've come across who I try to care for as a good friend, and part of that includes engaging them in theological discussions to spark and promote their development. In doing this, I've prepared mini-Bible studies, participated in long and varied arguments/discussions, and given quality books to these individuals. Out of this group of friends, I'm the only confessionalist Presbyterian and the only member of my church.

Some of these people are members of churches and others in the common college student phase of regular attendance but non-membership, due to the *relatively* short time in the area. Most particularly, I have McArthurish Baptist/non-denoms and Missouri-Synod Lutherans that I regularly correspond with and do provide lots of doctrinal and applied doctrinal material. I have mentioned a fair amount of what I'm talking about/teaching with my shepherding elder and that he can and should hold me to account on it. Nonetheless, I am concerned that I might be overstepping authority that I do not have in being such an assertive teacher-mentor of these friends. I do not want to try to subvert their proper pastoral authority, even where I disagree with them rather significantly.

Obviously, I have teaching/shepherding authority over my household, but I'm unsure about what I should do in these fuzzier areas. Any thoughts? If these are really dumb questions, please just note that they are coming from musings surrounding trying to operate under the care of elders.

Scott, not dumb at all. Consider the dynamic of the PB. We engage in theological discussion and debate out of desire to understand the truth. The authority of your local church does not prohibit you for your own convictions, nor does it limit what you can discuss in your personal relationships. That said, it would be wise not to work against your church leadership, especially when they are settled on a theological position. To some degree we all have to compromise. I prefer hymns, but we sing a mixture of hymns and worship choruses. It is not my ideal, but I am not going to separate over that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back