What soundtracks have influence you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gettysburg. I find myself in the heat of battle on Little Round Top, defending against a Confederate attack with my ammunition running low and nothing left but my bayonet.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
The Soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian really influenced me during some interesting times.

Okay, I worked in the swamps one summer under emotionally draining circumstances. In other words, it was easy for me to go into frenzies (not in a psycho way, though). There are parts of Conan where the drums and the horns fit perfectly and the Age to Come presently visits me and I am like, "Wow! That was awesome!" and the tune stays with me.

Braveheart soundtrack as well. When I am facing insurmountable odds I can just hear the pipes in the background (it is the scene where they are rallying hte clans and right before they charge the fields at Stirling).

I enjoy using sound tracks as background music while I am reading or studying. I listen to Braveheart, The Mask of Zorro, Chariots of Fire, and the LOTR trilogy CDs. And while it is not really a soundtrack, but a collection of music used in a movie, I get a kick out of the music from Oceans Eleven.

:cool:

[Edited on 10-5-05 by pastorway]

I have just about worn out The Lord of the Rings Trilogy soundtracks. They make perfect reading music.

I also enjoy Braveheart.

There are too many to list. Here are my top 12.

Thin Red Line (Melanesian Choir, World Music)
Gattaca (Ambient, Symphonic)
21 Grams (very moody with guitar)
Garden State (relaxing & positive)
Magnolia (Convicting)
Bleu (foreboding)
Blade Runner (Vangelis, Synthy New Age)
Decalogue (Dark, Haunting)
Dancer In The Dark (Bjork, Whimsical, Avant Garde)
Solaris (Soothing Ambient)
O Brother Where Art Thou (Bluegrass, Somewhat Southern Spiritual)
The Hours (Philip Glass)

[Edited on 10-5-2005 by Saiph]

"The Man In the Iron Mask." It inspires such a wide range of emotions and senses, strengths and vulnerabilities, joys and mournings. I barely ever listen to solely instrumental music, and this is the single exception. I loved the film as well, but I have even seen countless reviewers who hated the film say they loved the soundtrack. If you haven't heard it yet...then get 'er done!

1083475.jpg

[Edited on 10-5-2005 by Me Died Blue]

For me, it was the cult film Rollerball.

I first saw it when I was 18 back in the 70s. I decided I just had to learn to play the main theme: Bach's Toccata in d minor. The thing was, I had never played a keyboard before.

It took me about a year to learn it, and then I decided to be an organ major in college. A lot of twists and turns followed, but I still play Bach and I still compose music, all because Rollerball.

I thought the movie was pretty good too.

Vic

Originally posted by crhoades
I liked ... the Rush Soundtrack (Eric Clapton)

:ditto: The scene where Jennifer Jason Leigh is running on the white sandy beaches of Corpus Christi accompanied by "Tears in Heaven" moved me deeply. That song has been on automatic replay in my mind since my brother's death.

Speaking of running along the beach, I once had the opportunity to run on the beach at St. Andrew's (just like in Chariots of Fire) and you can be sure I was playing Vangelis in my mind (though I probably looked more like Chevy Chase and Anthony Michael Hall racing at Wally World).

"Nearer My God to Thee" in Titanic was deeply moving, though I don't think it is on the official soundtrack.

Vacation has some tunes that I really get a kick out of to this day. "Holiday Roads" by Lindsay Buckingham is one. Great road trip songs.

When I was a kid, we used to watch old classic musicals. The soundtracks to Camelot ("C'est Moi"), My Fair Lady ("Wouldn't It Be Loverly"), Singin' in the Rain ("Make 'Em Laugh"), The Sound of Music ("Eidelweiss"), Fiddler on the Roof ("If I Was a Rich Man"), The Wizard of Oz ("Over the Rainbow"), West Side Story ("Somewhere"), Song of the South ("Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah"), Mary Poppins ("Feed the Birds"), and South Pacific ("Honey Bun") bring back many memories.

I love the classic soundtracks to Forrest Gump, American Graffiti, The Blues Brothers, Mr. Holland's Opus, The Big Chill and Grease which also bring back a lot of memories.

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and The Wedding Singer remind me (with guilty pleasures) of my own musical tastes in the 1980's. The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Do the Right Thing are two movie soundtracks I really wore out during that decade which I am sad to report.

Catchy tunes from movie soundtracks that still resonate with me include the themes from Superman, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Bridge Over the River Kwai, The Sting and the James Bond movies.

Other solid and memorable soundtracks include Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Lord of the Rings, Shine, and Point of No Return.

Some of my favorite songs are found on the soundtracks for The Spy Who Loved Me, Live and Let Die, Continental Divide, The Goodbye Girl, Risky Business and Cool Hand Luke.

Those Nora Ephron movies (When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail) have great soundtracks. (Jimmy Durante, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, et al.)

The haunting instrumentals and vocals from Dr. Zhivago, Braveheart, Gods and Generals, Casablanca, Amadeus, The Mission, Somewhere in Time and Henry V (Non Nobis) still resonate deeply with me.

However, my favorite all-time movie soundtrack and the one with most personal significance to me is from the movie Blown Away.

Movies and music go together like popcorn and butter. :2cents:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Speaking of running along the beach, I once had the opportunity to run on the beach at St. Andrew's (just like in Chariots of Fire) and you can be sure I was playing Vangelis in my mind (though I probably looked more like Chevy Chase and Anthony Michael Hall racing at Wally World).

:lol:

You have entirely to much brain power. You absorb way to much knowledge and haven't succombed to the cruelty of a insane asylum. A feat many wish they could do. Wanna share?

Originally posted by puritancovenanter

:lol:

You have entirely to much brain power. You absorb way to much knowledge and haven't succombed to the cruelty of a insane asylum. A feat many wish they could do. Wanna share?

Bet you didn't know that special padded rooms have internet access these days! (How else do I have so much time to post on the PB?) Don't worry, serenity now, insanity later! :banana:

[Edited on 10-5-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by wsw201
Rocky !!!!

Oh yeah -- Eye of the Tiger, baby! :cool:

Eye of the Tiger was good, but I like the main theme song where in Rocky I they have Rocky running through the streets and up the stairs then doing the :banana: dance!

Wanna see me cry....

Schindler's List.

Everytime I hear that music I think of Christ's passion. And the way that Perlman plays it really makes me weep.

My favorite scene is at the end when he's getting ready to run. He's in prison clothes and he falls to his knees when he thinks about all the other people he could have saved if he had only not spent all his money.

It's got strong imagery for the pastorate.

And you guys thought I was hard and crusty...

KC

P.S. John Williams is a genius. I could listen to anything of his.

Rocky !!!!

Oh yeah -- Eye of the Tiger, baby! :cool:

Eye of the Tiger was good, but I like the main theme song where in Rocky I they have Rocky running through the streets and up the stairs then doing the :banana: dance!

ROcky IV is the best. I like "War" and "Burning Heart."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back