What Systematic Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peairtach

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm thinking of buying another systematic theology? What would you suggest I get next, and why?

I already have Calvin's Institutes, Dabney's, Berkhof's, Grudem's and Hodge's.

Calvin's, haven't heard of Dabney's to be honest, and because Calvin is the bomb and an essential.

Depends on what you are looking for. I wouldn't include Calvin among the options simply because you have to have him regardless.

Grudem is the best to read and he is great against Arminianism and Feminism.

Hodge is the best against Catholicism, excepting perhaps Turretin.

Berkhof is the best all around pick.

All of Dabney's works, including his theology, are available here.

If you can, definitely Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics. It's four volumes, though there's also an abridged one volume version, and he also wrote a one volume summary called Our Reasonable Faith.

If you can, definitely Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics. It's four volumes, though there's also an abridged one volume version, and he also wrote a one volume summary called Our Reasonable Faith.

I've read volumes 1-3 and I think I would go with the abridged edition. Sometimes Bavinck's discussion gets lost in the various analyses of Hegelianism that he must refute.

Berkhof is a summary of Bavinck, Now that Bavinck is available in English, get Bavinck.
Horton is VERY up to date and responsive to latest issues.
For the good of your soul, aBrakel's A Christian's Reasonable Service.

See what you can access from on-line university libraries for free, and use the money elsewhere.

I'm thinking of buying another systematic theology? What would you suggest I get next, and why?

I already have Calvin's Institutes, Dabney's, Berkhof's, Grudem's and Hodge's.

It depends on how much you have available to spend, of course. If you can, buy Turretin. He will clearly define the position of Reformed orthodoxy over against various opponents. The quantity of things to be learned per page would be hard to match.
Bavinck used to be a little cheaper, but I don't know if that's still the case. That would also be a wonderful choice (and some of the best lines come out in the refutations of Hegelianism or other errors). One of Bavinck's peculiar excellences is his ability to derive from every position what is worthy, without accepting what is not. He seems always to appreciate why an error is attractive, but without falling prey to that attraction.
If you are looking for one volume, John Brown of Haddington's systematic is saturated in Scripture, depicts theological truth with a clarity and imaginative vividness that are not often found elsewhere, and is especially incisive with regard to the covenants and union with Christ.

I second this. Bavinck is amazingly clear.

In this order, get and read these: Bavinck, A'Brakel, Turretin, and of course A Puritan Theology.

How about a little Southern Baptist, Abstract Of Systematic Theology by James P. Boyce?

A New Systematic Theology Of The Christian Faith 2nd Edition - Revised And Updated: Robert L. Reymond: 9780849913174: Amazon.com: Books

Robert Reymond "A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith"!,this book even smells great!

Out of print but worth the hunt,you can find it out there if you try,it's also in an electronic format if you can't get the real hard copy.

A friend,who loves this,spoke to Nelson Publishers,and they said,that they believe the reason it's OOP may be that the time limit for the publisher's right's on the book may have expired,and revert back to Reymond,if this is true it can be republished again,perhaps by another publisher,he supposed it would be up to Reymond,or whoever now has the rights to it

Did anyone mention WGT Shedd? That would probably be a literary feast. Shedd wrote in the same grand literary style as Gibbon, and Shedd has much to feast on. I foolishly gave away my copy years ago. Now that I slightly know something about historical theology, I wish I had kept it so I can reference what Shedd said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back