What Systematic Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
still learning the ends and outs of reformed historical theology

Make sure Dabney is on the list then. He's most always worth the read. Make use of Jacob's free resources link.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Turretin, Bavinck, and a'Brakel. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them, and you should eventually have all three. Shedd is very good, and Horton is excellent for modern issues, though he does have some idiosyncrasies (as does Reymond). The new Beeke/Jones Puritan Theology looks to be very good as well, although it is really a Puritan historical theology/systematic theology/practical theology (much like the Puritans themselves). This is not to knock the volume, but only to say that it doesn't feel like a regular systematic theology.

Turretin, Bavinck, and a'Brakel. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them, and you should eventually have all three. Shedd is very good, and Horton is excellent for modern issues, though he does have some idiosyncrasies (as does Reymond). The new Beeke/Jones Puritan Theology looks to be very good as well, although it is really a Puritan historical theology/systematic theology/practical theology (much like the Puritans themselves). This is not to knock the volume, but only to say that it doesn't feel like a regular systematic theology.
:agree:

Well, with all the rave reviews of a'Brakel, I thought it'd be appropriate to notify anyone who has kindle, a'Brakel's systematic, all 4 volumes are free: FREE EBOOKS

Vol. 1: http://biblicalspirituality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/reasonableservicevol1.pdf

Vol. 2: http://biblicalspirituality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/reasonableservicevol2.pdf

Vol. 3: http://biblicalspirituality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/reasonableservicevol3.pdf

Vol. 4: http://biblicalspirituality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/reasonableservicevol4.pdf

Also, thanks to the link to all of Dabney's works for free! Will be putting those on my kindle!

Also, just like to add my recommendation of Reymond and Horton. As people have already said, Horton is good, and excellent with new recent issues. Reymond is generally good all round. Brekhof is good all round, though is quite dry, but that's part and parcel of a systematic aiming to condense Bavinck I presume.

As far as W.G.T. Shedd goes, his was the second systematic I ever read, and at the time it was the most detailed I had been exposed to. I really loved it then; but looking back now, while I think he is useful and worthwhile to consult for someone who is fairly conversant in the classical, mainstream understanding of theology, I wouldn't recommend him as an introduction, or as a guide for the perplexed.

I like him for taking Coleridge seriously, and I haven't noticed other theologians making such frequent reference to the Cambridge Platonists. But I don't think he always pulls off the style he aims at, and there are certain points where he is not reliable. Bavinck criticizes his realism, for instance, and doesn't think very highly of his historical theological claims. Mr. Winzer said he often teaches sub-calvinistic concepts, though he also recommended him as a proponent of the traditional calvinist view of psychology over against the innovations adopted by Edwards and others. In 2008 Carl Trueman made a blog post about how he sold his set of Shedd without regret when he needed shelf space. Though I haven't been able to locate that post again, I believe the rationale was that there was nothing good in Shedd which could not be found just as well somewhere else, and without his defects.

As far as W.G.T. Shedd goes, his was the second systematic I ever read, and at the time it was the most detailed I had been exposed to. I really loved it then; but looking back now, while I think he is useful and worthwhile to consult for someone who is fairly conversant in the classical, mainstream understanding of theology, I wouldn't recommend him as an introduction, or as a guide for the perplexed.

That was my impression on Shedd. I was weak and new on the "systematics conversation" and Shedd, while pleasing literarily, was way over my head. I wish I could go back and read him now.

I'm just reacting to the latest discussion here. I'm not plugging Shedd, even though he's probably a decent acquisition for someone buying.

Shedd was reedited and reissued in a single volume a decade ago by P&R.
Dogmatic Theology: William Greenough Thaye Shedd, Alan W. Gomes: 9780875521886: Amazon.com: Books

I've read that the new format makes him easier to comprehend, but his was also a late purchase for me, and I'd already learned a lot; so I could be reading him with a practiced eye.

William Shedd: Dogmatic Theology

Besides enjoying his literary style I think he does a good job explaining how the doctrines of grace do not hinder the universal offer of the gospel and has a balanced view of divine sovereignty (predestination) and human responsibility (reprobation). Would not recommend him to you if supralapsarian, unless want to see what a sublapsarian view consist of.

For His Glory-Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back