What the Christians talk about when they meet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello my friends,

I noticed that we, as Christians, tend to talk about mostly anything when meeting up.
As examples: sports (this is a very loved topic), politics, basically everything under the sun. Butt as little as possible about faith and our Christian walk. And if someone starts talking about it, the conversation dies down immediately (there's no comparison to sports)

Do you think this is ok?

In my opinion, if our Christianity is the most important thing in our life (as it should be), we would like to talk about it.

Some say it's ok, since we do not talk about anything all the time, not matter how dear the subject (like family or job).
But I think this is wrong. This is not what the Christians are supposed to do when they meet up.

What do you guys think?

Thx a lot
Cristian

This has actually not been my experience. My Christian friends and I talk about a variety of topics, but our faith comes up fairly frequently. Its pretty hard to avoid when it informs your entire frame of reference.

Cristian,

I know what you mean. I have very few Christian friends that will talk about our faith. They would rather talk about sports or politics or hunting & fishing. I have noticed that men are worse than women. It is hard to find Christian men, where I'm from that desire to share their walk with Christ. When they do it's very shallow and short. I'm afraid many in the church are either unregenerate or immature. It is truly sad and I long for conversations with believers who love Jesus so much, that He is on their minds and hearts all day and can't wait to share about Him. I've been a member of 9 churches since I was saved and I can probably remember about 9 men I could always count on to have good conversations about our faith.

I don't think it's true in my case either..sometimes I have to find other topics to talk about..I'm not into sports, so that topic doesn't last long..

I don't keep up w/ the latest gossip of those in the acting world, so conversations about the latest antics of actors/actress/singers doesn't last long..

I can discuss politics but even then it leads me back to talking about the need for Godly men in office and the need to pray for our leaders..

Golf! ;)

When my wife and I first joined our PCA church all we talked about when people were meeting with us was the typical "church picnic" fare...Nice to meet you, do you have kids? ,etc.
Then it went to talking about reformed theology and what it's done for us in our lives, how we learned about it, etc.
Then it went to...Oh wow, I used to be a Baptist too!
Then with the guys...for me..GOLF, FOOTBALL, MORE GOLF GOLF GOLF!
Then they found out I was born and raised Catholic, so they had questions like: Do Catholics worship Mary, and I always thought the Immaculate Conception was about Jesus' birth, etc.
So it's always been a great secular/theological balance with the current church in which I hold membership.
To me that is totally refreshing from past experiences.
It's all good.

:)

SolaSaint;

I know what you mean. I have very few Christian friends that will talk about our faith. They would rather talk about sports or politics or hunting & fishing. I have noticed that men are worse than women. It is hard to find Christian men, where I'm from that desire to share their walk with Christ. When they do it's very shallow and short. I'm afraid many in the church are either unregenerate or immature. It is truly sad and I long for conversations with believers who love Jesus so much, that He is on their minds and hearts all day and can't wait to share about Him. I've been a member of 9 churches since I was saved and I can probably remember about 9 men I could always count on to have good conversations about our faith.

but it is through those activities that most men build friendships..

If you were to go on a Mission's trip w/ a group of men it might be different, as that would be the focus of the trip.

This has actually not been my experience. My Christian friends and I talk about a variety of topics, but our faith comes up fairly frequently. Its pretty hard to avoid when it informs your entire frame of reference.

:ditto: I enjoy fellowship with my Christian friends because we frequently talk about our faith amongst other things.

I have found that men are generally more reserved. I myself am one ready to jump into a theological discussion anytime. Most that I've met are not so.

Not everything has to be a theological debate though. Things like hunting/fishing/golf can be put into a God focused context. With Christians, nothing is ever secular, furthermore some things are just common sense in making friends and building relationships.

That said, anyone want to talk about where Jenson Button will be at next year in F1? :p

Last edited:
16Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

17And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

18Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

Read Owen on the grace and duty of being spiritually minded.

THE GRACE AND DUTY OF BEING SPIRITUALLY MINDED. PART 1.

I have found that men are generally more reserved. I myself am one ready to jump into a theological discussion anytime. Most that I've met are not so.

Not everything has to be a theological debate though. Things like hunting/fishing/golf can be put into a God focused context. With Christians, nothing is ever secular, furthermore some things are just common sense in making friends and building relationships.

That said, anyone want to talk about where Jenson Button will be at next year in F1? :p

Golf and theological discussion, In my humble opinion are a wonderful combination! :)

Last edited:
Its been a mixture for me. I find there are certain people who always want to talk about the Lord, and others, only on their terms.... for example if it gets remotely theological they switch off. I'm not into sports really, but I think thats bigger in America than here. Music was an idol for me, so thats gone from my enthusiastic talking topics list... er... I'm quite boring really. I've been accused of being too serious, when actually I'm quite lighthearted most of the time. I think many Christians think that theology is for very serious people with no other interests. Just because I'm serious about wanting to know God and His ways, doesn't mean I'm serious about EVERYTHING.

Then all my Christian friends are Arminian.

Oh yes, I have been described as too serious often too. As though theology is a serious topic as opposed to everything else.

Strange really.

This may have been true some time ago for me, but not so anymore. I actually dictate the conversation towards God in most cases if those I am speaking to have not already

From my experience, whenever i bring up anything relating to "religion" whether at church or among saved friends, the conversation dies pretty quickly. I have only a couple of people (i.e. 2) to speak to on a regular basis about my faith, walk, spiritual and theological matters, etc. That is why I enjoy the Internet and the chances for communications it gives.

(that said, I always would like to talk to some of your privately on PM/IM/etc! haha)

I enjoy talking about the truths of our faith. I also enjoy discussing every day life from a Christian prospective.

For me it depends on the friends. If it is my baptist family or friends, theology is off the table because I am one of those crazy Calvinists who baptizes their babies. On the other hand, when talking to my Presbyterian friends theology comes up quite frequently.

Cristian,

I know what you mean. I have very few Christian friends that will talk about our faith. They would rather talk about sports or politics or hunting & fishing.
It is truly sad and I long for conversations with believers who love Jesus so much, that He is on their minds and hearts all day and can't wait to share about Him.

Thx for the reply, Rick (and thx everyone, too). So I'm not the only one here to whom it happens...
Yes, this what I meant, to go to someone and say "just tell me about Christ", and that he would gladly and enthusiastically do that.
In a way I would even expect that Christians would react to even a more blurred topic. That they can't wait to jump in and talk about their faith.

I guess I didn't properly formulated my question, since at least someone understood sth else than I intended. I didn't mean to talk about theology, much less debate theology. I was only thinking about our Christian walk.

Has anyone ever read this from A.W. Tozer?

The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone.

The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

The man [or woman] who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens.

He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else."

Tozer also said this: "I can tell how much God you've got by how much entertainment you need."

There's a damning statement for you.

I can definitely relate to your longing and frustration.

This was one of the many issues that led me to begin deeply studying reformed theology; and maybe more specifally, those truths of God which some Christians simply do not seem to admire (namely, His justice, wrath, holiness, etc.). The shallowness of my college and career group, at a Calvary Chapel a few years back, left me thirsting like mad for a deeper Christian understanding and experience. Then, praise God, I was turned onto John Piper, and consequently, J. Edwards, the Puritans, etc.

At this fairly large church, my roomate and I would schedule a prayer meeting, and 2-3 people would attend. A few days later someone would schedule a movie night, where theyd watch something profane, and the whole group would show up. We would invite people to take part in community outreach; few, if any, would join us. Someone would plan a day trip to disneyland, and everyone would attend. We got fed up; and God, during this season, led us to understand reformed theology! It was beautiful!

Sadly, even some reformed people seem more lukewarm in their conversation than hot. Obviously, a mere intellectual grasp of sound doctrine can't cure worldliness. Even now, I have often wanted to beat my head upon a brick wall after college group Bible study; because within minutes of listening to a powerful sermon, people will be on talking about the stupidest, temporal things known to man. God is good though; He has blessed me to have a handful of saints in my life who have similar passions and longings! Conversation with these people is an oasis for me.

A word for those who may themselves be the ones who talk of worldly things too often; and that to the neglect of spiritual things: "Redeem the time". Resolve to let your talk be primarily about God, His redemptive purposes in the world, and what awaits us in eternity! Sometimes it's a matter of subjecting your flesh to a higher calling, and centering your convos on spiritual things, for the edification of those who may not be Spirit-led enough to know better.

It is very rare to find that Christian Brother with whom one can discuss true matters of the Faith. Most conversations with fellow Christians are on superfluous matters.
I however have and continue to have many great theological discussions with Orthodox Jews and Muslims. I would rather discuss Talmud or Midrash with an Orthodox Jew than Contemporary Christian music with an Evangelical|----which seems to be all that today's Evangelicals are interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back