What to do with monuments of idolatry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Chris! I think that this is a topic that is little understood and less practiced in our day.

For a causal interest that is sufficient. The original 17th and defective 19th century editions are certainly available freely now. For study and seriously getting into it, the NP edition is a critical edition collating the texts and noting errors (even in the first edition), translating all the Latin and providing a bibliography of the 'players' and citations. For the difference simply compare the section I've put up with those texts. I did not mention it because it was the Lord's Day but the title is currently on sale for US ship tos. I wish I could extend that internationally but the USPS makes it prohibitive.

"Every idolatry is superstition, but every superstition is not idolatry"

Can one of the Learned amongst us please expand that thought please?

Gillespie footnotes the chapter on idolatry in the Synopsis Purioris Theologiae of the professors of Leyden (1625). This made the cut in the first volume of the very expensive translation of that work which is going to be multiple volumes I gather. See the opening of the chapter if that helps. Something like this distinction may also be in someone like Ames.
https://books.google.com/books?id=kIvPBAAAQBAJ&lpg=PR1&pg=PA453#v=onepage&q&f=false

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back