What to do with spoiling milk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBaldwin

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I seem to remember from my distant past a discussion about what to do with a lot of spoiled milk. Does anyone have a suggestion for a recipe?

This is about a 1/2 gallon of whole organic milk. Milk is getting so expensive here, I hate to just throw it out.

Thanks

How spoiled is it? Sour or...chunky? If the latter, the compost pile would really love it! If it's sour, you can make biscuits and such with it. Look for Southern recipes online. Southerners used to let their milk sour on purpose.

Also, baking. Pancakes made with lumpy milk is great. Also, bread, cakes, etc. - all wonderful. But unless you're really hungry, it's not going to fully utilize a 1/2 gallon of milk.

From a Southron here: Soured milk that is of the store bought pasteurized / homogenized variety is not the same as 'soured milk'. Real milk (unpasteurized unhomogenized) raw milk that sours is wonderful for baking. Using the store bought variety soured is a whole other experience.

From a Southron here: Soured milk that is of the store bought pasteurized / homogenized variety is not the same as 'soured milk'. Real milk (unpasteurized unhomogenized) raw milk that sours is wonderful for baking. Using the store bought variety soured is a whole other experience.

Right you are, and this from a northern westerner. I'd say that spoiled store-bought milk is good as pig feed, chicken feed, or fertilizer, and not much else, (unless you are into microbiology).

I seem to remember from my distant past a discussion about what to do with a lot of spoiled milk. Does anyone have a suggestion for a recipe?

This is about a 1/2 gallon of whole organic milk. Milk is getting so expensive here, I hate to just throw it out.

Thanks

Whatever you do, don't cry over it.

Oh, never mind. You said spoilt.

Rice pudding! Everyone always has rice on hand. And I echo the recommendations NOT to wait until your milk sours. UHT milk doesn't sour, it spoils.
Edit: Oh, well, if it's already spoiled, then there's a recipe for next time. :)

I assume you typically go through the same amount of milk per week. Why not estimate how much you go through per week and find other uses for it before it spoils? An idea would be a day where you make some french toast.

If you were making a side dish Mac and Cheese usually incorperates a bit of milk (1/4 cup)

Using the store bought variety soured is a whole other experience.

Well, us city boys grew up with spoilt pasteurized milk, and by golly we liked it! Pancakes made with lumpy "boughten" milk is great (we never had the choice of pasteurized or not back then, but I have since then and I know what you mean...)

Last edited:
Do you have a dog? Dogs love sour milk (or any dairy product as far as that goes) and it won't hurt him either as they can eat just about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back