What to Read in Rutherford and Murray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Hello, friends.

For my birthday, my wife got me the Collected Writings of John Murray from The Banner of Truth, and my pastor got me the Letters of Samuel Rutherford from the same publisher. I'm wondering, are there any letters (Rutherford) or articles (Murray) in these books which I should read first? Are there any letters or articles that struck anyone as very, very good? I know all of it is great, of course, but you understand what I am asking.

Thanks!

With Murray it depends on what topic you are interested in. I read a Letter a day of Rutherford for a while. They really aren't meant to be systematic, and each one is short, so it can be like a devotion text for a month.

Firstly, Happy Birthday Taylor. May the richness of Eph 1:15-19 be a blessing to you today.

I don't have the Murray work so can't comment. Re Rutherford, you don't specify if you have the BOT hardcover edition or the Puritan paperback edition. If you have the hardback (which is the fuller edition) it contains 365 letters, so a great way is to read one a day for the full year. I found this system a personal blessing. It is also worth reading the sketch of Samuel Rutherford, especially the part of how the letters will be precious to the reader.

But I don't know how the paperback edition is organised.

You are always so helpful. I feel like I should pay you something.

;)
While a bit cheeky, I also meant it in earnest. I listen to an audible version of Rutherford's Letters almost every evening on the way home from the Pastor's house on the Lord's Day.

While a bit cheeky, I also meant it in earnest. I listen to an audible version of Rutherford's Letters almost every evening on the way home from the Pastor's house on the Lord's Day.

Very nice! I think I will end up reading one per day, as has been suggested multiple times here.

...you don't specify if you have the BOT hardcover edition or the Puritan paperback edition.

Ah, yes, it is the much larger hardback edition.

I would start with vol 3. the life of John Murray, by Iian Murray. I was in awe of his Christian walk throughout his life, and surprised to find he was a combat veteran of WWI, having lost an eye from shrapnel. He also lost his brother Daniel, who was KIA in France, and his body never recovered. Looking at the portrait of JM, on the cover, I immediately noticed his eyes did not focus in unison. My ex-wife had lost sight in an eye, being hit in the eye with a rock when she was 9 and I suppose the similarity their appearance brought it to my attention before I read the bio . Anyway, the bio of JM is where I would start.

The 4 volumes are a smorgasbord of content. I haven't read all 4 from cover to cover, but began by looking at items of interest in the table of contents, of which there are too many to list. Picking shorter articles first, and then items of particular interest. Notably, vol 4, 'The Free Offer of the Gospel,' a report written by JM for the 15th GA of the OPC. In Vol 1, 'The Atonement and the Free Offer of the Gospel,' published in a 'The Torch and the Trumpet,' in 1965 is interesting by comparison. It is a great set. I'd also highly recommend the short book, Redemption, Accomplished and Applied, which is not included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back