What was that Star that Stephen spoke of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
It was important enough that he brought it up at his stoning:

Acts 7:43
You took up the tent of Moloch and the star of your god Rephan, the images that you made to worship; and I will send you into exile beyond Babylon.´

...anyone have any specific info on this?

Stephen's quote is from Amos 5:25ff, specifically the Septuagint version. I think that it is probably referring to some symbol of idol worship. Acts 7:42 says, "But God turned, and gave them up to serve the host of heaven; as it is written in the book of the prophets..." Serving the "host of heaven" was a means of idolatry. One can point to various forms of star-worship, sun/moon worship, or astrology.

Stephen is presenting a counter-indictment against those who accuse him of blasphemy. The passage in Amos is from a previous indictment regarding the national propensity.

Interesting. I just wonder about the star symbol in our culture as well. You have Masonic people with their "eastern star" and then somehow every law enforcement badge that isn't a shield... is a star and ofcourse there is that other "Star of David" everywhere. Just wondered about star symbolism, the significance of the verse and why so little is said of it. I know I hear of Moloch or Molech a lot because we are also a baby killing society but I never hear much about the star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back