What wonderful condescension is this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Sermons from 1 Peter 1:1-4), Works 4:46-47:

There is herein to be observed the most wonderful abasement and condescension of Jesus Christ, that he should stoop so low as to shed his blood that it might be sprinkled upon ungodly sinners. There is none that the Father loves so as he did his Son, and there is nothing that he hates as he doth sin. Now, that the only beloved of the Father’s soul should be given for the expiation of the only thing that his soul abhorreth, what marvellous condescension is here! That Christ himself should stoop so low, who was in the form of God, and thought it not robbery to be equal with God, or as God, Phil. 2:6, 7; that he should stoop so low as to be made of no reputation, and to take upon him the form of a servant; that this great one should count it no shame to be made sin, and to be made a curse for us, 2 Cor. 5:21; Gal. 3:13; what wonderful condescension is this!

And if we are to follow Christ, it is to emulate His example, as the Apostle Paul aptly described in Philippians 2. Matthew, interesting that you should quote Robert Traill, as he was notably quoted in yesterday's sermon:

"There is more of grace in the promise, than there can be of sin and misery in the man that pleads it."

As the preacher stated Traill's words I thought to myself, "It is only because of the grace in the promise that I can live the Christian life."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back