What won't you be drinking this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mere housewife

Not your cup of tea
Mr. McMahon posted this situation of a Peruvian man in the thread about "not providing = worse than an infidel"

[quote:ecc7a6c100]
...one church member of a Peruvian church just had a baby, has no money, no job and no help...
[/quote:ecc7a6c100]

I was thinking this morning about how when Christ saw how poor we were, He "emptied Himself": He took pity on us, and gave all that He had sacrificially for us-- as He has instructed us to do for our brothers and sisters in Christ: "Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others." What if Christ had responded to our poverty the way we often respond to this command?

I was wondering if we could all try this weekend to do without something-- fast food, or cigars, or going to the movies, trying a new beer, or whatever, and send the five or ten dollars to Mr. McMahon for people like this. I know that sometimes that isn't possible: but maybe this weekend at least we can spend as much on the needs of other believers as on "luxuries" for ourselves.

Here is what Mr. McMahon says about the current situation of funds for Peru:

[quote:ecc7a6c100]
Donations to the Peru trip for these men is what I have been trying to raise for 3 months now. We divided up the need in three areas: 1) Physical Relief, 2) books, 3) trip exspenses

We have covered #3, and the pastoral conference (becaused we actually pay for that for them) but not the other 2.

If any would like to help, you can use the donation button on A Puritan's Mind to this end (Its been there for this purpose since last year).

http://www.apuritansmind.com/ChristianWalk/PeruMissionTrip.htm
[/quote:ecc7a6c100]

Here is what Job says:

"If I have withheld the poor from their desire, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail; Or have eaten my morsel myself alone, and the fatherless hath not eaten thereof; (For from my youth he was brought up with me, as with a father, and I have guided her from my mother's womb;) If I have seen any perish for want of clothing, or any poor without covering; If his loins have not blessed me, and if he were not warmed with the fleece of my sheep; If I have lifted up my hand against the fatherless, when I saw my help in the gate: Then let mine arm fall from my shoulder blade, and mine arm be broken from the bone."

May we, by God's grace, be able to say the same. (without losing our arms...)

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by a mere housewife]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back