What Would You Do With 5 Months to Prepare for Seminary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Baptist

Puritan Board Sophomore
This question is mainly for those who have completed seminary, but all can chime in. If you had 5 months to prepare before beginning your seminary study...what would you do?

If you are married, pray with your wife to make sure this is the what the Lord is calling you to do. Pray with your elders for guidance also.

Make sure your living arrangements are set and get a job lined up. Pull your share of the financial responsibilities. Don't forget your wife, she will be your daily support. Always include her in your studies. Share what you learn with her.

These are just some things that I have learned through my studies.

did a 4 yr (though finished in 3) yr ba in biblical studies at Criswell which was about a 130 hr degree with about 80 of those credits being in biblical studies.
I would let the wife pick some courses she has interest in and let her sit in on them through out your degree
teach her what you learn, make sure you are continuing to disciple her and that her spiritual needs are kept first

if you dont have a wife then ignore what I just stated lol

Regardless, evangelize on a weekly basis, going out into the community or colleges and sharing the gospel
Make sure you are devoting yourself to Him and that your devotional and prayer life is where it should be at and stable

Your life is about to get hectic, you will have great down times and great spiritual high times, thus make sure you spiritual life is at a high priority and stable!

-Start Greek if you haven't. If you have, start Hebrew.
-Read some novels that you have planned on getting to (you won't have time).
-Read and Reread the Westminster Standards so that you have a sure footing as you begin.
-Memorize as much Scripture as you can: read HUGE portions of the Word of God.

Just a few helpful hints from Heloise.

I would take beginning Greek or Hebrew courses, and make sure the credit is transferable. If that's not an option, I would teach myself using a grammar book. (That's the route I took, actually.)

Good words. I am married, and have been for nearly 14 years. We have gone through schooling before, but this will be distance education. We have prayed together, agreed, and consulted leadership and counsel on the matter. The counsel of two elders was family related, and they did not know one another...so the comments here related to family are crucial.

I also think heavy Bible study is very important. I am spending much time in reading the Scriptures, prayers, and some Christian reading. (J.A. Wylie, History of Protestantism, Edersheim, Biblical History, and Pink, Interpretation of the Scirptures). I am mainly seeking to delight myself in the Lord and serve my family.

Eliminate as much debt as possible. If not in debt, build up a war chest. Learn to live simple.

Make sure you have a spiritual support group/partner besides your wife. Prepare yourself for naysayers that will try to get you to quit.

I make these statements from working with a dear friend who went through seminary.

If not an entire grammar, I'd at least recommend getting very familiar with Greek and Hebrew alphabets--helps the start of term willies. Get REALLY grounded in the Word and have your "quiet time" equivalent well entrenched--shear busy-ness and Satan will try hard to pull you away from your spiritual anchors; we all need time to devote ourselves to the Lord, and sadly that's one thing that vanishes quickly in seminary (learning about God in classes isn't the same as meeting with him on your knees!). And before term starts, YOU plan a small vacation (even an evening out, or a weekend) with your wife for sometime in the middle of the semester, and if possible leave the studies behind for a day--she'll need to know you're thinking of her and that "away" time means that much to you. And stand by to be amazed that God can work in our lives despite seminary!! Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back