What's in your chili?

Discussion in 'The Iron Chef' started by Tripel, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripel

Tripel Puritan Board Senior

I've noticed that a lot of people (men especially) take great pride in their homemade chili. I definitely fall into that category, but I'm always interested to hear about others' concoctions. So what's in your chili?

2. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Lots of Hamburger and or Venison. Lots of Kidney Beans. Tomato Juice. Onions. Bell Peppers. Yes, we had spaghetti. But not much.

3. LawrenceU

LawrenceU Puritan Board Doctor

Meat and Chiles, that's about it. Of course there are infinite variations and I have developed several very good chilis both red and green that have won some contests. But, I don't let out my secrets. ;)

4. Andres

Andres Puritan Board Doctor

I take no pride in my chili because its non-existent. My wife makes the chili in our house and it's the best. She puts meat, various beans, and lots of spices. It's got to be extra hot and spicy for us!

5. Tripel

My chili is pretty involved. In addition to some of the basics (tomatoes, onion, celery, kidney beans, spices, beef, tomato sauce) I always include cocoa powder, beer, refried beans (to thicken it up), and pepperoni.

6. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Pepperoni? That sounds like an Italian chili. Might as well add some wine also.

7. MLCOPE2

MLCOPE2 Puritan Board Junior

Bacon, Bacon, and more Bacon!

8. Zenas

Zenas Snow Miser

Ground White Rhino.

9. nwink

nwink Puritan Board Sophomore

Squirrel

10. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

beef, onions, mild to medium peppers, canned diced tomatoes, garlic, red pepper (to put in the heat that's missing from the peppers), paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt.

Beans don't belong in Chili.

11. CIT

CIT Puritan Board Post-Graduate

My bowl of chili has a spoon in it, now nothing, now a spoon, now nothing, now a spoon, now nothing.....Hey where did my chili go?

12. LawrenceU

Edward is correct. Chili does not have beans. Chili Soup might, but not Chili. I saw a fellow get tossed from a cook off just last year because he entered with a recipe containing beans. The judges scorned him greatly.

13. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Ditto to the no beans. Heresy.

14. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Thanks for the reminder. I'll throw in Paprika, as well.

15. MLCOPE2

MLCOPE2 Puritan Board Junior

Now I'm starting to get hungry

16. Tripel

Oh puh-leaze. Chili absolutely has beans, at least the best varieties do. You are all terribly misguided. Whether or not beans were included in the original chili con carne is a moot point. What's important now is that the addition of beans over the last hundred years has brought the dish to a whole new level of greatness. As does the addition of tomatoes and chocolate.

Booooooo on your beanless chili!

17. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Well, ..., your concept of chili is just full of beans.:D

18. goodnews

goodnews Puritan Board Freshman

And a double booooo at that. Nothing goes better with deer meat and spices. Thanks to everyone for some new ideas.

19. LawrenceU

Here is a basic green chile recipe that I posted in another thread, see below.

And, here is another green chili recipe I have posted before:

Here are two other chili threads from the past with the same debate and more recipes. http://www.puritanboard.com/f24/chili-time-10276/
    http://www.puritanboard.com/f24/mmm-chilli-3627/

20. TexanRose

TexanRose Puritan Board Sophomore

My chili has...beans! I like it best with a ratio of one pound dry beans to one pound meat. Yes, that's a lot of beans. Usually a blend of black beans & kidney beans plus a few pintos or whatever else I have on hand. I add lots of fresh garlic, fresh jalapenos and other peppers, diced tomatoes (usually canned), diced onions, and various spices. If it needs thickening up, tomato paste.

Recently discovered that I can toss a hunk of frozen hamburger (preferably very lean) straight into the crockpot with the dry beans and other ingredients. Cook for a looonnng time (overnight plus most of the next day), adding liquids as needed, and voila, chili. I'm sure this violates all kinds of food safety rules, but it sure is a time saver, and delicious to boot.

21. AThornquist

AThornquist Puritan Board Doctor

What's in my chili? I guess it all depends on what's been on the road recently.

22. christiana

christiana Puritan Board Senior

Williams Chili Mix; its the very best! Why make it complicated and time consuming when Williams has figured it all out perfectly!

23. Mushroom

Mushroom Puritan Board Doctor

Try this:

Dr. Pepper Chili
    3 tbsp. Bacon drippings
    2 large onions chopped
    1 bell pepper chopped
    3 tbsp. Red pepper
    5 cloves garlic minced
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tbsp. Cumin
    6 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1 small can green chilies
    2 tsp. Salt
    2 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
    3 lbs ground beef
    3 lbs ground pork
    2 12 oz. Cans (reduced by1/2) Dr. Pepper
    2 cups water
    4 tbsp. Chicken base
    2 cans kidney beans, drained
    2 jalapenos, fine diced
    6 oz. Can tomato paste
    8 tbsp. Chili powder

Render fat from bacon (save fat from cooked bacon).
    Saute all vegetables and garlic in rendered fat.
    Separately brown all beef and pork and drain excess fat.
    Add beef and pork into sauteed vegetables.
    Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1-2 hours.​
    Remember to first reduce the Dr. Pepper by 50% before adding it to the Chili (bring Dr. Pepper to a boil and simmer until quantity is half)

Servings: 8 quarts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.