What's the point of sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
What’s the point of sports really? What’s the point of sports for the Christian? Is there a difference? Should there be? I have been thinking lately that sports are merely for entertainment and while it can be argued that they teach teamwork, sportsmanship, and other important values, I think this is only at a youth level. I seriously doubt that millionaire professional athletes play their sport because it makes them a more well-rounded individual. Also some will argue that sports is good exercise. Yes, playing sports is good exercise, but the majority of sports fans devote their time to watching not playing. Finally, think about all the idol worship that sports leads to, when it’s really just a game. What made me really start thinking about this subject was the whole Tim Tebow ad that aired on Superbowl sunday. There was previously discussion on whether the ad should air on the Lord’s Day. Then someone mentioned that Tebow would be playing football on the Lord’s Day coming up in the future. Many Christians would argue that pro sports needs more athletes like Tebow who will be good representatives of their faith, but would it not be better if Tebow said he wasn’t going to go to the NFL, but instead desired to become a husband, father, Sunday school teacher and work a normal 9-5 job providing for his family? For those who would argue that professional athletes could do a lot for the church with their exorbitant salaries, I guess I would have to counter that God doesn’t need our money and we should not allow money to guide our decisions in life. By the way, I used to be an enormous sports fan, but in recent months, God is turning my heart to see the vanity of sports.

Just a thought ... mindless entertainment for those walking in the flesh? I don't even own a TV, too much junk on it to trouble my walk. I have enough struggles without submitting myself to mindless entertainment.

I love sports and wish I could play them like I was younger. I played football in HS and though I hated it because of all the hard work that was involved in it I would never wish to not have experienced it. I am a much better person for it. Also it is a fantastic bonding endeavor for me and my sons.

Go Gators and Tim Tebow....kill it in the NFL. :)

You make some excellent points, Andrew--I've been a sports fan for years, too though a pretty casual one, as some of my friends over the years can quote team, game, jersey number, vital stats and etc for pro and college teams in all sorts of sports. If nothing else, being a devoted "fan" of any sport says volumes about one's priorities in terms of money, time, family, and probably religion too. It is certainly a time sink approved by many current societies and cultures (look at the dedication and violence given to soccer/football fans the world over!) which is as vicarious as watching a TV show of any other kind (Superbowl viewers at home can yell as much as they want to and have absolutely no effect on game outcome). In the US it has created almost a "sports hero" class of people, who can act/dress/drug up/tattoo up however they want and still be praised all over for having a focused, limited, though often impressive skill set; and the putting of people like this on pedestals begins early in life--often these days in the teenage years, when many lifestyles and habits are just being formed. I'd agree too that someone with Tebow-like abilities would/could make a huge impact for Christ by refusing to be a part of that Sunday game world--having that kind of praise and adulation could cripple even a strong Christian!

I don't have much to contribute other than to point out that yesterday's broadcast of the Al Mohler radio program was "Christianity and Sports: Where's the Balance?" I didn't listen to it, but it sounds awfully on-topic. Here is the link

(1Ti 4:8) For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

(1Co 9:24) Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

(1Co 9:25) And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

(1Co 9:26) I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

(1Co 9:27) But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

(Col 3:23) And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

(Col 3:24) Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

(Col 3:25) But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

Are you not suggesting that sports is a part of servitude and life? What thinkest thou of Eric Liddell? It is made a nandated servitude in some countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Liddell

He was a preacher of righteousness who felt the glory of God in his running.

By the way, I used to be an enormous sports fan, but in recent months, God is turning my heart to see the vanity of sports.

I am right there with you. My interest in sports has definitely waned in the recent months. I went from keeping up with all kinds of sports to recently cutting it down to just college football but even that I am considering cutting out. I don't have the time and the time I do have I would rather spend with my family and studying for the eldership. I'm not making a rule for anyone but it has been beneficial for me to toss some of that to the wayside. I do enjoy playing sports because the exercise is good for me but the countless hours of watching it are gone.

I must admit that I loved the Olympics. I didn't pay any attention on the Sabbath and didn't even know until a few days ago if America won over Canada in the hockey event. I love Competition. Maybe that ought to be the question. Should we seek competition in strength and in mental prowess. Come one, it isn't always a pride thing as some make it out to be. Other wise lets become communists of the old Russian days.

This is a great thread. I too have felt more and more the "vanity of sports". This is coming from a guy who grew up on ESPN 24/7 and played most every sport there was.

In my opinion, sports is entertainment, Period. It's no different than watching a movie. Whether or not "your" team wins has absolutely no effect on your life. I used to be upset when "my" team lost and then I was really convicted that it is pretty ridiculous that my life was being affected by this. It was becoming an idol. I watch much, much less sports now than I did even 5 years ago. I watch college football and some of the other "major" events, like the golf majors, Olympics, etc. I see it as pure entertainment.

I want to be deliberate about how I expose my children to sports. This has been on my heart lately. I have no problem with them participating in sports, but it cannot consume them. I look back to when I was 8-18 and I was "consumed" by sports. This is all I read about, thought about, and wanted to do. I was a walking encyclopedia of everything sports but couldn't quote 3 verses of scripture.

This might be another thread topic but I would really be interested to see how parents approach the "sports" topic and raising their children. My wife and I are sensitive to this as we both participated in everything under the son from birth. Looking back, what do we have to show for this time spent?

It's just fun. We like to see what we can do with our bodies given a specific set of rules.

It's also a LOT of fun to win at the game. :banana:

For the most part, yes, sports are entertainment. Is that a bad thing? I don't see a problem in earning a living by entertaining people. I especially don't see a problem in earning a living by entertaining people with a gift God has given you. If God blesses someone with a unique talent for story-telling, it would be noble to use that gift by being a professional writer. Yes, it's entertainment, but it can also be done to the glory of God.

For the most part, yes, sports are entertainment. Is that a bad thing? I don't see a problem in earning a living by entertaining people. I especially don't see a problem in earning a living by entertaining people with a gift God has given you. If God blesses someone with a unique talent for story-telling, it would be noble to use that gift by being a professional writer. Yes, it's entertainment, but it can also be done to the glory of God.

I agree. We pay those who are specially gifted in a sport because normal people can't do what they do and it is great fun to watch them do it and overcome adversity.

....and win. :D

Psa 19:4 Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun,
Psa 19:5 which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.

2Ti 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

1Ti 4:7 Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness;
1Ti 4:8 for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

1Co 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.
1Co 9:25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
1Co 9:26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.
1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

There is much in Scripture about sports, and it is generally positive. And in at least one place it come right out and say athletic exercise is good for you.

What is the point of sports?

Sports was (and to some extent still is) a "non lethal" activity to scratch the combative itch of men who in former times were warriors. In the absence of conflict, these warriors needed something to keep themselves entertained, build esprit de corps, keep physically fit, enhance teamwork, etc.

As society became more civilized, war was seen as barbaric, while sports was not. So now most athletes - and fans - are pansies and couldn't fight their way out of a paperbag, but what can't be squelched so easily is that drive within the hearts of men to be competitive, to desire to conquer the enemy, and sports gives them a little taste of that.

Concerning sports and entertainment generally, I think: "Did Christ die for me so I could entertain myself?" It's generally a waste of time which is contrary to the scriptural command for every christian to be 'redeeming the time for the days are evil.' (Eph 5:16) (although some physical pastimes may have some redeeming value to them being we receive the benefits of physical exercise- but watching it on TV to me is of no purpose)

I like Matthew Henry's comment on Zechariah 8:5 concerning boys and girls playing in the streets:

That childish youthful sports shall be confined to the age of childhood and youth. It is pleasing to see the boys and girls playing in the streets, but it is ill-favoured to see men and women playing there, who should fill up their time with work and business. It is well enough for children to be sitting in the market-place, crossing questions (Mat_11:16, Mat_11:17), but it is no way fit that men, who are able to work in the vineyard, should stand all the day idle there, Mat_20:3.

The position of the Free Presbyterian church of Scotland on sports as found in the FP Magazine May 2007 issue rightly commented as follows: “Sport is essentially an activity for children, and the absorbed attention bestowed on professional sport is one of the evils of present-day society. “When I became a man”, said the Apostle Paul, “I put away childish things” (1 Cor 13:11), and we believe that faithful religious leaders would have been warning the players and crowds on both sides to prepare for eternity, rather than sharing with them in their childish vanities.”

I recall Leonard Ravenhill who was fond of saying: "entertainment is the devil's substitute for joy, and sports is entertainments sister."

Here is another perspective on sports from a puritan viewpoint:
PURITAN NEWS WEEKLY

Blessings!

Concerning sports and entertainment generally, I think: "Did Christ die for me so I could entertain myself?" It's generally a waste of time which is contrary to the scriptural command for every christian to be 'redeeming the time for the days are evil.' (Eph 5:16) (although some physical pastimes may have some redeeming value to them being we receive the benefits of physical exercise- but watching it on TV to me is of no purpose)

I like Matthew Henry's comment on Zechariah 8:5 concerning boys and girls playing in the streets:

That childish youthful sports shall be confined to the age of childhood and youth. It is pleasing to see the boys and girls playing in the streets, but it is ill-favoured to see men and women playing there, who should fill up their time with work and business. It is well enough for children to be sitting in the market-place, crossing questions (Mat_11:16, Mat_11:17), but it is no way fit that men, who are able to work in the vineyard, should stand all the day idle there, Mat_20:3.

The position of the Free Presbyterian church of Scotland on sports as found in the FP Magazine May 2007 issue rightly commented as follows: “Sport is essentially an activity for children, and the absorbed attention bestowed on professional sport is one of the evils of present-day society. “When I became a man”, said the Apostle Paul, “I put away childish things” (1 Cor 13:11), and we believe that faithful religious leaders would have been warning the players and crowds on both sides to prepare for eternity, rather than sharing with them in their childish vanities.”

I recall Leonard Ravenhill who was fond of saying: "entertainment is the devil's substitute for joy, and sports is entertainments sister."

Here is another perspective on sports from a puritan viewpoint:
PURITAN NEWS WEEKLY

Blessings!

How does one define what is and is not a child?

Balance -- like anything else, you can be entirely legalistic about sports (thou shalt not) and you can be idolatrous (I can still name a good chunk of the rosters of the top hockey teams in the 1970s). Somewhere in between rests a healthy place for believers. Have fun from time to time, but don't make it your life. The tougher question comes with kids' involvement. What passes for youth recreation these days is more like a full time job for the kids and at least one of the parents. So far, we've dodged this one in our house, but I've got two boys to go ...

So far, we've dodged this one in our house, but I've got two boys to go ...

Maybe one will get a gold medal and you'll get to be on a Walmart commerical :)

Balance -- like anything else, you can be entirely legalistic about sports (thou shalt not) and you can be idolatrous (I can still name a good chunk of the rosters of the top hockey teams in the 1970s). Somewhere in between rests a healthy place for believers. Have fun from time to time, but don't make it your life. The tougher question comes with kids' involvement. What passes for youth recreation these days is more like a full time job for the kids and at least one of the parents. So far, we've dodged this one in our house, but I've got two boys to go ...

Exactly. Sports, like anything, can become an idol. Its not the thing itself that's the issue, its our treatment of it.

I played soccer and football in my early teens, then became a burnout quasi-hippie and considered sports only for jocks who needed to boost their egos. I was into eastern mysticism and some martial arts, and put on a Kwai Chang kind of hard-guy detachment to keep the bullies at bay. Having been beaten up by my sadistic 6 year older brother nearly every day of my childhood, I knew how to take a beating and to do my best to make a bigger guy pay for trying to hurt me. To be honest, I despised jocks, because I saw them pick on the weaker kids, but they would never mess with me because I was known as someone who would make them bleed if they tried to play fisticuffs. I ripped up many a jock who bullied little guys, and I was pretty vicious to them, which I now regret; there are better ways to resolve disputes. So for most of my early adulthood, I never payed attention to any professional sports. But in my late twenties I started following pro football, and got kind of obsessive for awhile. In recent years, my view of the Lord's Sabbath has turned me away from that. My children have never expressed much interest in sports, but I keep my son busy with physical labor as much as I can, and see some value in teaching him how to defend himself. I don't like the idea of karate, but exercise and an understanding of how to defend himself and those who depend on him seems prudent. I need to figure that out, because just being a vicious street-fighter doesn't seem appropriate for a covenant child, so I need to find something more fitting.

Sports just seem a waste of time and effort to me. I was a real bonehead when I played football, finding joy in hammering some poor kid, or burning some defender with a move and laughing at him while he tried to catch up, then getting angry when the same was done to me. Maybe it was just my own fallen tendencies, but I saw the same thing in all my opponents and teammates, so I doubt it was all that unusual. Exercise has some value, but as I've always said as a man who works with his hands, you can workout, but I work. Up until a few years ago, that was sufficient, but knee and back damage have curtailed that somewhat. I'm 50, but today I was setting and climbing ladders, pulling myself up into roof rafters from a 4 foot step ladder, and generally running around like the proverbial chicken, and I'm feeling OK tonight. Praise God!

Just for the record, 1 Timothy 4:8, "bodily exercise profiteth little," is not saying physical exercise has a little profit, but ascetic exercise has little profit. It is usually the case that those who turn to this verse in support of physical sports are the least inclined to engage in the ascetic exercises which are stated in the context of the chapter.

I agree. We pay those who are specially gifted in a sport because normal people can't do what they do and it is great fun to watch them do it and overcome adversity.

....and win. :D

When we see team A beat team B and go "yay!", idolatory is creeping in already. This "fun" that we are looking at does not appear to be too far removed from the mindless indulgence that many partake of from other kinds of entertainment (movies, rock concerts, etc.) How much vision of God do we possess while cheering on the Saints/Colts during Superbowl 44? For many, those 2 hours that we spend watching a particular game are likely 2 hours that we have spent on something that has not truly edified us, and we would have to give an account of how we have spent the time that God has given us when we come before our Lord. This, of course, may not apply to everyone and for some, watching some games may truly be edifying to their souls. Even if that is the case, we need to exercise self-control and do it in moderation. I can't do it, and I'm left reflecting on the many hours that I have wasted on watching cricket and soccer matches over the years which could have been spent much much more fruitfully.

Just for the record, 1 Timothy 4:8, "bodily exercise profiteth little," is not saying physical exercise has a little profit, but ascetic exercise has little profit. It is usually the case that those who turn to this verse in support of physical sports are the least inclined to engage in the ascetic exercises which are stated in the context of the chapter.

I can see how that would be a good interpretation given the context. But still, Paul especially uses lots of athletic metaphors, and Gill says the Arabic version uses "bodily recreation".

Strange how the people you associate with influence your thinking. Wrestlers and other fighters regularly go without food for several days, or small occasional meals for several weeks to make their weight class. Denying ourselves food is a regular part of our lives, and from what I've noticed is just the opposite as what you see.

In Galatians 5:7, Paul says, “You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth?” (ESV) “Hindered” (egkoptw) is, as Friberg notes, “strictly, knock or cut into.“ Longenecker (Galatians [WBC], 230) translates “Who cut in on you to be keeping you from obeying the truth?” and notes, “The verb ejgkovptw . . . in the context of a race suggests tripping or otherwise interfering with a runner, which inevitably had to do with one runner cutting in on another as they ran and so impeding the other’s progress.” Williams in Paul’s Metaphors adds as illustrative material details about the races in the Greek Olympics:
The Greek stadium was a rectangle about 220 yards long by 8 to 13 yards wide. A line at each end marked the start and the finish, and there was a turning post in the middle of each line. In races longer than a single lap, the runners had to circle the post. This presented less of a problem in the dolichos (the long race). But in the diaulos, which was only two laps run at full speed, the turn was of critical importance. When the runners were of comparable ability, bunching at the post was inevitable and interference was likely to occur. . . . In terms of Paul’s metaphor, it was at this point that the Galatians had run into trouble.

Paul’s Metaphors: Their Context and Character, by David J. Williams

Thanks everyone for your input thus far. As the thread starter I believe I should clarify some of my original thoughts from the first post. I should have refered more specifically to professional sports rather than just sports in general. I agree that sports in and of themselves are not inherently sinful. What I am concerned with is the idolatry that seems to go almost hand and hand with professional sports. I imagine there are some on the PB who can watch and enjoy pro sports without the sin of idolatry, but I personally feel that if one is to truly become a "fan" of pro teams/athletes, then idolatry in some form has already occurred. At the very least, would you agree that the goal of professional sports is to encourage idolatry? What I mean is, does not every team owner desire ultimately for fans to buy season tickets, attend as many games possible, watch as many games as possible, and buy as much merchandise as possible? For those who say no, then would not this team owner be a poor businessman?

This is also an apsect of pro sports I am struggling with. What does the professional athlete who lives their life unto the glory of God look like? First, as confessionally reformed Christians, do we not oppose professional sports on the Lord's Day? So right off the bat, I cannot think of any professional sports that do not have a large portion of games/events on Sundays. This brings me back to my original thread and the example of Tim Tebow (or any other Christian athlete). What brings more glory to God - to participate in essentially pointless entertainment or to take the stand and say, "no thanks, NFL. Football was fun for me in HS and college and I appreciate the athletic scholarship that paid for my education, but now it's time to put away games and start living my life as a man." Let's be honest with ourselves here - if these athletes were not paid millions of dollars or had the potential to earn millions, would they still be playing their sports? I feel the answer is a resounding no. So then if they are motivated in their decision primarily by money, how does that greed bring glory to God? I am not saying that wealth in itself is evil either, but amassing wealth should never be a primary motivator in our life choices.

I don't really get into sports. I wrestled and played football in high school and can enjoy a live game of most athletic activities if someone invites me to go. I think I enjoy the experience of getting out with friends and family and eating stadium foods more than the game itself. I don't even watch the superbowl anymore. My wife is the same way. Each year we would "try" to watch the superbowl because it was the "big thing" to do, but would always change the station before the game was over. Finally we came to the realization that what we were doing was "stupid!" Why make yourself like something you have little interest in just because everyone else does and you don't want to seem like an "oddball"? Anyway, I view sports like most things; I think it is what you make of it. It is different things to different people. For me it is mostly a form of entertainment that does little for me. The main thing is that we don't overstep our Christian liberty to become idol worshippers nor put a stumblingblock before our Christian brethren.

The apostle Paul and whomever wrote Hebrews certainly found it profitable to use sports for analogies and illustrations of spiritual disciplines.

I follow along Ben's thinking but I would stop at suggesting a need to be combative but rather a tendency toward tribalism. Man has a natural propensity toward tribalism. The Lord didn't encourage Israel away from tribalism, I do see good elements of organization coming out of tribalism done right. Sports give us a none lethal way to work out our tribalism and learn and isolate the proper virtues that strengthen society, culture and community.

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

Sportsmanship and playing sports could fall under this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back