What's The Word? The Bible On Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

panta dokimazete

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Talk of the Nation, December 15, 2008 · Religious leaders often cite scripture as the basis for their opposition to gay marriage. Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and host of the Albert Mohler Program, believes a strict reading of the text forbids gay marriage. But Lisa Miller, religion editor at Newsweek, contends the Bible's models of marriage are flawed, and its lessons about love actually argue for gay marriage.
Original link

Talk of the Nation, December 15, 2008 · Religious leaders often cite scripture as the basis for their opposition to gay marriage. Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and host of the Albert Mohler Program, believes a strict reading of the text forbids gay marriage. But Lisa Miller, religion editor at Newsweek, contends the Bible's models of marriage are flawed, and its lessons about love actually argue for gay marriage.
Original link

Classic. They place the religion editor at Newsweek on equal footing with the president of SBTS when it comes to the Bible's teachings on gay marriage.

Facts are facts are facts - they still need to pass through a perspective, a worldview before they take on meaning. This argument is a classic example of how knowledge is justified.

Something that has always puzzled me: if people want to be into "alternative" lifestyles and "do their own thing" why oh why do they want to take on the forms of traditional lifestyles?

Simply for recognition and acceptance. As "Post-Modern" as we claim to be we still seek to root ourselves in a continuity with the past. Even though they may not express it and rail against it they understand implicitly that "novelty" is not acceptable.

:ditto: :amen:

-----Added 12/17/2008 at 04:07:10 EST-----

Just listened to the NPR bit - I wonder if Mohler was actually allowed to respond to each of that woman's skewed views on the Bible, how the program would have gone...

Just listened to the NPR bit - I wonder if Mohler was actually allowed to respond to each of that woman's skewed views on the Bible, how the program would have gone...

It would have not gone well for the woman. :2cents:

Mohler would have given her a scriptural smack down. It would probably just be pearls before swine though. :(

:agree:

Also, Pastor Schoen, I chuckle every time I see your avatar. It looks like Bunyan is holding a French loaf at first glance (and he seems to be doing so with a great sense of purpose and intensity) :).

Also, Pastor Schoen, I chuckle every time I see your avatar. It looks like Bunyan is holding a French loaf at first glance (and he seems to be doing so with a great sense of purpose and intensity) :).

:lol: A French loaf that he has bitten the top off of. :rofl: I didn't see this until you pointed it out.

Yes! With purpose and intensity because it is HIS french loaf!!

:lol:

I wonder what will be my next avatar? :think:

I can't stop laughing.

I should be studying! :lol::lol::lol:

I can't stop laughing.

I should be studying! :lol::lol::lol:

Are you still in finals? :eek:

Sorry, Evie...back to the books. We are going to need you on the US Supreme Court soon!

I'm not confirmable.

Boy, ain't that the truth today for Christian lawyers. Twenty years ago my acquaintances told me I was the only one they knew who could someday be a federal judge because I had never used drugs. Today there is no way I could be a judge, either federal or state, because I am a believing Christian. How times change.

Original link

Lisa Miller said that when the Bible condemns homosexuality, it is actually condemning wicked, depraved behavior, not modern, committed homosexual relationships.

My response: Romans 1:18-27 teaches that all homosexuality is immoral. This passage does not distinguish between wicked homosexuality and a committed homosexual relationship. This passage teaches that all homosexuality is morally wrong.

Lisa Miller said that Jesus accepted people who were outcasts or those who did things that were against social conventions.

My response: Where does it say in the Bible that Jesus gave approval to sinful behavior? Accepting outcasts or those who defy social conventions is not the same as giving approval to sinful behavior.

Lisa Miller said, " If Jesus were to speak to gays and lesbians, He would say, 'Come, follow me'".

My response: Didn't Jesus also preach repentance?

Original link

Funny thing about this post is that I actually have that article. I was getting ready to write to this person and call them out on their horrible exegesis, but I'd like to hear the arguments here first.

See Gagnon on Millers Newsweek foolishness

Pittsburg Theological Seminary New Testament Professor Robert A. J. Gagnon has taken Miller's misuse of Scripture apart on his website which can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back