What's your favorite meal or dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hog jawls and hominy grits.
Greens
Fried Chicken
anything else that is fried

---------------------

I also like microwaving hot dogs and putting mustard on them. That is how a bachelor eats

Everyone's mention of sushi is making me want to try it even more...I've had raw fish fillets (some salmon, catfish, a few other varieties) which were excellent, but I've never gotten around to trying them in the rolled form to technically be called "sushi."

Have any of the sushi-lovers here had raw fish just in the form of filets of one type of fish? If so, how do you think it compares with "sushi proper"?

What's your ideal pizza, Matt? Favorite crust? Toppings? Sauce?

Corky's is indeed great - but I actually love The BBQ Shop (only one location...here in Memphis) even more...ever been there?

Chris, where do you get a Quadruple bacon cheesburger? :wow:

With Burger King's new "Stackers," they have a double, a triple and a quadruple! They're cheeseburgers with just bacon and thousand island (same as Big Mac sauce) - it's a meat-lover's burger with, in Burger King's own words, "no veggies allowed." ;)

:agree: Oh yeah!

store_main.gif

Everyone's mention of sushi is making me want to try it even more...I've had raw fish fillets (some salmon, catfish, a few other varieties) which were excellent, but I've never gotten around to trying them in the rolled form to technically be called "sushi."

Have any of the sushi-lovers here had raw fish just in the form of filets of one type of fish? If so, how do you think it compares with "sushi proper"?

Chris,
Thats called Sashimi. Even though I am a great lover of Sushi, I do not really like sashimi. Thats more like bait! Gotta have the rice!

Hmmmm....

So many things to choose from! primarily, I subsist on "comfort foods", which have, sadly, given me a "comfortable" 35 extra pounds of girth.

Having said all that, given my "druthers", I would rotate each of the following for dinner each night, in descending order, for virtually the rest of my life, and I would be more than content. For lunch, I could eat Mexican every day!!! Yes-- every day!

For that, I prefer high end Mexican restaraunts, but have found two chains in particular (Moe's and Chipotle Grille) to serve extremely high-quality food items, prepared freshly in front of you, and you can actually transport it home without it turning to "mush".

Anyway, here are my dinner selections:

1) Filet Mignon. Medium Rare, please-- and make it FRESH Bernaise sauce, not that instant powdered stuff...

kitchen_photo2.jpg

2) Live Maine Lobster. Not to be confused with the tough, stringy Florida Keys lobster tails (they have no claws down here). Plenty of drawn butter and lemon-- and eaten in as CASUAL AN ATMOSPHERE AS POSSIBLE-- there's nothing worse than trying to keep your nice clothes clean, and maintaining any hygenic dignity when eating one of the messiest foods known to man. Unlike this picture, I like the WHOLE LOBSTER, not just the tails, and I like it steamed, not baked. Simple=Good.

kitchen_photo8.jpg

3) Raw, or Lightly Seared, Sushi-grade Tuna. "Sushi-grade" means exactly that-- not like how people describe their cars after they wash them: "It looks 'mint', doesn't it?" No. "Mint" is fresh from the factory... "Sushi-grade" means right off the boat-- not just raw tuna-- SUPER FRESH raw tuna... The freshness is the whole key.

kitchen_photo4.jpg

4) Crab Cakes. From Maryland, please-- and with PLENTY of LUMP CRAB meat, not the dough-y stuff most restaurants "pass off" as Maryland Crab Cakes, where they make it mostly with dough, and store-bought, canned crabmeat. Like the way I describe my cigars: Few things in this world are as good as a good cigar, few things are as bad as a bad one... Same with Crab Cakes!

kitchen_photo3.jpg

There are a few others, but these ones jump immediately to mind.

Oh! and for dessert, nothing compares to the unique combination of raspberry and dark chocolate...

kitchen_photo7.jpg

OK, gotta go eat now!!!! :rofl:

Alex

My wife's Homemade Pork Loin. We seer it on the barbi, she marinates it overnight in her own homemade concoction. Homemade Yeast rolls, veggies of every type, mashed potatoes, sweet-tea. Top it off with her home made Apple pie. I'm good to g...I'm mean NAP shortly thereafter...

Hmmmm....

So many things to choose from! primarily, I subsist on "comfort foods", which have, sadly, given me a "comfortable" 35 extra pounds of girth.

Having said all that, given my "druthers", I would rotate each of the following for dinner each night, in descending order, for virtually the rest of my life, and I would be more than content. For lunch, I could eat Mexican every day!!! Yes-- every day!

For that, I prefer high end Mexican restaraunts, but have found two chains in particular (Moe's and Chipotle Grille) to serve extremely high-quality food items, prepared freshly in front of you, and you can actually transport it home without it turning to "mush".

Anyway, here are my dinner selections:

1) Filet Mignon. Medium Rare, please-- and make it FRESH Bernaise sauce, not that instant powdered stuff...

kitchen_photo2.jpg

2) Live Maine Lobster. Not to be confused with the tough, stringy Florida Keys lobster tails (they have no claws down here). Plenty of drawn butter and lemon-- and eaten in as CASUAL AN ATMOSPHERE AS POSSIBLE-- there's nothing worse than trying to keep your nice clothes clean, and maintaining any hygenic dignity when eating one of the messiest foods known to man. Unlike this picture, I like the WHOLE LOBSTER, not just the tails, and I like it steamed, not baked. Simple=Good.

kitchen_photo8.jpg

3) Raw, or Lightly Seared, Sushi-grade Tuna. "Sushi-grade" means exactly that-- not like how people describe their cars after they wash them: "It looks 'mint', doesn't it?" No. "Mint" is fresh from the factory... "Sushi-grade" means right off the boat-- not just raw tuna-- SUPER FRESH raw tuna... The freshness is the whole key.

kitchen_photo4.jpg

4) Crab Cakes. From Maryland, please-- and with PLENTY of LUMP CRAB meat, not the dough-y stuff most restaurants "pass off" as Maryland Crab Cakes, where they make it mostly with dough, and store-bought, canned crabmeat. Like the way I describe my cigars: Few things in this world are as good as a good cigar, few things are as bad as a bad one... Same with Crab Cakes!

kitchen_photo3.jpg

There are a few others, but these ones jump immediately to mind.

Oh! and for dessert, nothing compares to the unique combination of raspberry and dark chocolate...

kitchen_photo7.jpg

OK, gotta go eat now!!!! :rofl:

Alex

I like the pics of the food! Very nice! Nice indeed.

My mother's meat loaf. No, seriously I really do love it. I also love BBQ Ribs, Filet Mignon, boiled potatoes, shrimp, lobster, german potato salad, and lemonade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCalvinist View Post
My mother's meat loaf. No, seriously I really do love it.

My mom too makes a meatloaf that is absolutely wonderful. I'm glad your post made me remember it.

:ditto:

It must have been some unwritten law in the Baby Boomer years that "All Mothers Must Make An Excellent Meatloaf"

What happened to that? Now, most American moms can only make great microwaved Boston Market meatloaf... :rolleyes:

Alex, you've got GREAT taste! I would mimic your list, but I would bump down the tuna, and put sushi in it's place and leave out the crabcakes.

Add in a GOOD cab, and you've got perfection!

Thank you, Jeff!

The Tuna selection was meant to be inclusive of sushi, but I hear ya-- I ate sushi today, in fact. It is one of my favorites...

The Crab Cake selection could probably be replaced with lump crab meat in a lettuce shell. But I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea.

You mentioned a Cab, which is a good choice, but I would prefer a mild Pinot Noir with the Filet...

Yes, sashimi(raw fish) is excellent as well. The sushi is actually the vinigared rice that the fish is served with in sushi proper(as you aptly put it). I find that I enjoy the subtlety of sashimi more so even than sushi rolls and such. It is more expensive however as it is all fish and therfore more fish.

Many people prefer sashimi (the slabs of raw fish) to sushi (rolled with sticky rice, typically with sesame seeds or fish eggs on it) because they don't want too much rice carbohydrates. I like 'em both, but be sure to look for sushi places that don't just put a little fish in a big lump of rice-- look for the rice coating to be thin, with a liberal helping of fish selection inside.

As always here, let me admonish anyone who is interested in being introduced to the world of sushi: NOT all sushi is the same!!! (Kind of like doctrine, isn't it?). There are many sushi restaurants who have unstable supply chains, and will take what they can get-- the temptation to pass off one type of fish as another (cheaper, available) fish is, indeed, HUGE.

Go to a reliable place, with a GOOD reputation, and be prepared to PAY for it. Sushi is NOT something you want to "skimp" on (I still can't get over the "all you can eat" model for sushi restaraunts-- that is the LAST type of food I want the proprietor to be tempted to spread out his profit risk!!!! :barfy: "All you can eat" pizza, Ok, yeah, macaroni, maybe-- sure, but SUSHI?!?! Something that spoils very easily and quickly?!?!?! YUCK!!!)

In real estate, they always say, "location, location, location". When searching for a good sushi place, it should be, "freshness, freshness, freshness"...

Bon Apetit :cheers:

A popular summer treat here is lobster, but not the way most Americans eat it.

What we do is cook (a lot of ) lobsters in a large pot and then cool them.

So a 'proper' lobster boil would be a cooler full of ice and lobster, an other filled with ice and beer, cold salads and crusty rolls.

:cheers:

Even better is if you fire up the BBQ and grill some steaks for a side dish.

A popular summer treat here is lobster, but not the way most Americans eat it.

What we do is cook (a lot of ) lobsters in a large pot and then cool them.

So a 'proper' lobster boil would be a cooler full of ice and lobster, an other filled with ice and beer, cold salads and crusty rolls.

:cheers:

Even better is if you fire up the BBQ and grill some steaks for a side dish.

Allright, Kevin--- That's it!!!!!! I'm moving to New Brunswick!!!!

YUMMY!!!!

BTW, I'll take lobster at ANY temperature...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back