When Did Conservative Presbyterians Start Observing the 12 Days of Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still getting used to supposed Presbyterian churches observing Lent. We're at the point anything goes in relation to the 'Christian' liturgical calendar in Presbyterianism; so I guess nothing should surprise.

"Concerning Candlemass, besides that the Name has Superstition written in the Forehead of it..." (Increase Mather Testimony Against Several Prophane and Superstitious Customs)

I finally figured out why the liturgical calendar bugs me. The parallel is to well-meaning Sunday school materials, VBS, and children's story Bibles (even ones that don't flaunt the 2nd commandment): people learn certain portions of the scriptures, but nothing about what holds the Bible together. Even worse, if that's all a person hears, he'll remain ignorant of the "less important" yet God-revealed writing to His covenant people. The children's materials have their place, as an occasional help, but not as a steady diet. Having 52 bites of the Bible (and some like Lent that have rotten theology) starves a church.

Compared to 52 properly observed Sabbaths, it's junk.

Re Sproul's comment, Christmas is particularly hard to dislodge because of all the warm/nostalgic/"gooey" associations. Sproul's statement is rooted in emotion rather than his usual carefully thought out Reformed theology.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back