When did the first Christians leave synagogues and start their own churches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
I just started Bruce Shelley's history of the Church and he states that the Apostles and other Jewish converts to Christianity "Remained loyal for a time to their Jewish law and continued to worship in synagogues and at the temple." My question is when did the early Christians leave the synagogues and start their own churches?

Also, he states that Stephen was martyred 8 years after the death and resurrection of Christ. I though it was 2-3 years later since we know that Paul was there in some capacity and it was not that long after this that Paul was converted. Thoughts?

Also, he states that Stephen was martyred 8 years after the death and resurrection of Christ. I though it was 2-3 years later since we know that Paul was there in some capacity and it was not that long after this that Paul was converted. Thoughts?

Considering that Paul's conversion is usually assumed to be sometime between 33 to 37 AD, eight years is not credible.

Considering that Paul's conversion is usually assumed to be sometime between 33 to 37 AD, eight years is not credible.
I think the figure of eight years assumes that Jesus was born in 6 BC; it feels long to me too, but given the presupposition, it's not way off with the other chronology. On the other hand, if Jesus was crucified in 33AD, then it would have to be a much shorter time.

I just started Bruce Shelley's history of the Church and he states that the Apostles and other Jewish converts to Christianity "Remained loyal for a time to their Jewish law and continued to worship in synagogues and at the temple." My question is when did the early Christians leave the synagogues and start their own churches?

I imagine it varied depending on the location. I’m sure they were not allowed anymore sooner in some places rather than other. The records aren’t much but in theory an entire synagogue could have been converted and so why would they quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back