When did the Roman Catholic Church officially start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovereignGraceBaptist

Puritan Board Freshman
I have been trying to find an accurate writing on Church History. Everything I seem to finds give the RCC an much earlier start. Is there a resource or book that accurately lays out Church History and the formation of the RCC along with the progression of it? It didn’t start off with all the heretical tenets it holds to now. I had always studied that the seeds were planted in the 390s-400s and it never materialized until about the 500s with Gregory. Looking for information (preferably a book) regarding Church History and apostate branch’s, their origins etc

Meaning when did it move to Rome? Or when did the bishop of Rome become supreme authority instead of first among equals?

Episcopal form of church government took hold within the first generations of the church.

Papal supremacy developed over time which some see as the real start.

The start date I like is 1054, where East and West Split. Before that there had been power struggles between Rome and Constantinople.

The standard answer is Pope Gregory I. Even then, it was nothing like the Tridentine Church.

It became bureacratized under Hildebrand. Even then, Hildebrand and others were responding to deep corruption and weakness in the pre-1000 papacy.

Our Eastern Orthodox friends say it started in 1054, but that answer is probably too political.

Meaning when did it move to Rome? Or when did the bishop of Rome become supreme authority instead of first among equals?
I’m kinda wondering it all. When did Rome become the central authority? When did one elder become the central authority? Where did the name originate from meaning universal? When did it develop the beliefs of veneration to the dead, prays to saints and Mary, indulgences, purgatory, Papal Infallibility, transubsta. Of mass, mortal and venial sins , confession to priest, due pentance. I am looking for a book that covers this all. But general knowledge from here is good also

I’m kinda wondering it all. When did Rome become the central authority? When did one elder become the central authority? Where did the name originate from meaning universal? When did it develop the beliefs of veneration to the dead, prays to saints and Mary, indulgences, purgatory, Papal Infallibility, transubsta. Of mass, mortal and venial sins , confession to priest, due pentance. I am looking for a book that covers this all. But general knowledge from here is good also

Rome always had a leadership role for obvious reasons. Everyone is going to look up to and ask advice of the bishop of the most important city in the world.

Universal: certainly by the time of Boniface and Urban II.

Prayers to saints, dead, Mary: you see individual Christians doing this early on, but no definite conciliar teaching until the late middle ages.

Transubstn. Belief in a real presence was always there. By the time of Radbertus and Ratramnus (800 AD) symbolic views were increasingly ruled out.

The best thing to do is start working through Schaff's History of the Church. Until then, here are some key dates and figures.

Pope Gregory I. He stabilizes Rome (and the Western world) as the empire is falling to barbarians.

Charlemagne: further deepened the divide between East and West.

Radbertus and Ratramnus: symbolic views of the Supper ruled out.

1054: the church is in formal schism.

1215: 4th Lateran Council meets. Transubstantiation more or less church teaching.

Rome always had a leadership role for obvious reasons. Everyone is going to look up to and ask advice of the bishop of the most important city in the world.

Universal: certainly by the time of Boniface and Urban II.

Prayers to saints, dead, Mary: you see individual Christians doing this early on, but no definite conciliar teaching until the late middle ages.

Transubstn. Belief in a real presence was always there. By the time of Radbertus and Ratramnus (800 AD) symbolic views were increasingly ruled out.

The best thing to do is start working through Schaff's History of the Church. Until then, here are some key dates and figures.

Pope Gregory I. He stabilizes Rome (and the Western world) as the empire is falling to barbarians.

Charlemagne: further deepened the divide between East and West.

Radbertus and Ratramnus: symbolic views of the Supper ruled out.

1054: the church is in formal schism.

1215: 4th Lateran Council meets. Transubstantiation more or less church teaching.
Thank you I just bought Schaff Church History volumes off eBay. I am glad you recommended that thank you

The papacy gained temporal power officially in 754-756 (depending if you take the date of ceding the states or the date of ratification). That’s a fairly significant development point. The development of errors and heresies was of course gradual, and it began right from the apostolic era. Paul told the Thessalonians that the mystery of iniquity was already working even then, but at that time Roman Empire would obviously not allow the claims later made by the papacy, so the real development of it can be traced from the fall of the Western Empire.

The blasphemous title “vicar of Christ” also began to be used by the popes in the 8th century, though apparently not regularly until perhaps as late as the 12th century. It certainly seems like the 8th century generally was a significant marker for the degeneration of the Church of Rome into full blown apostasy.

I bought this book several years ago, and it elaborated on much of what you're talking about.

This one was also good...

Blessings!

I have been trying to find an accurate writing on Church History. Everything I seem to finds give the RCC an much earlier start. Is there a resource or book that accurately lays out Church History and the formation of the RCC along with the progression of it? It didn’t start off with all the heretical tenets it holds to now. I had always studied that the seeds were planted in the 390s-400s and it never materialized until about the 500s with Gregory. Looking for information (preferably a book) regarding Church History and apostate branch’s, their origins etc
Pope Gregory I would be my answer, but I could be wrong.

I agree with Jason. However, the question you raise is a tricky one. When did the Western Church become Roman Catholic? That depends on what you mean by "Roman Catholic." If you mean "apostate," then Trent is the only possible red line. It is analogous to when the Northern Presbyterian church kicked out Machen. When a denomination will no longer even tolerate the truth about the gospel, then it is apostate and sectarian. However, many of the teachings of Rome have their origin in much earlier periods. So, if you mean "have the main distinctives of what we know as the RCC today," then there are many possible dates. The 4th Lateran Council is huge, as Dane mentioned. But there are earlier dates, so it depends on which distinctive you think made the church into the RCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back