When does the Lord's Day begin?

Discussion in 'The Law of God' started by Ranger, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranger

Ranger Puritan Board Freshman

Hey guys,
    To be frankly honest, I am ashamed because this is an issue that my wife and I have only begun to deal with in our personal walks after three years of ministry in the church. For us, the Lord's Day meant going to church, going out to eat with friends before promptly returning to church where we would make copies of the evening bulletin, possibly put together a video for the evening service, etc. go to evening service, and then I would go to praise team practice. We now realize that many of those events do not fall under necessity or mercy and realistically could have been done on Saturday or on another evening during the week. We are going to try to dedicate the day to teaching, preaching, singing, fellowship, ministry, etc.

My question is this, when does it begin? Does it start at sundown Saturday? Midnight? Or at 4-5-6 A.M? I would really like to know. All I can find are the passages which speak of the disciples going to the tomb early on the morning of the resurrection. Thoughts?

2. Scot

Scot Puritan Board Sophomore

Kyle,

I think we're safe in assuming that the Lord's Day is a 24 hour period, from midnight to midnight. Scripture doesn't tell us this for sure but I think it may imply this. In John 20 it tells us that Christ arose while it was still dark. Also, in Acts 20:7, it says that Paul preached until midnight.

I know that's not much to go on. Maybe someone else has looked at this more in-depth but I've always looked at it as being from midnight to midnight.

3. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

It is my conviction that the Scriptures teach that when the Sabbath day was changed from the seventh day of the week (Saturday) to the first (Sunday), the reckoning of the day was also changed from sundown-to-sundown to midnight-to-midnight.

Here is the link to a very helpful article by Greg Price on this subject: http://www.ecn.ab.ca/prce/books/sabbath/sabbath.htm

4. jfschultz

jfschultz Puritan Board Junior

It should apply to all the hours of Sunday from rising in the morning to going to bed at night. When the change occurs in the hours you are asleep should not have major significance.

The Jews held, and still hold to sunset to sunset. This is proabably based on the lanugage in Gen 1 used to define each day, and make it clear that it is a solar (24 hr.) day.

5. yeutter

yeutter Puritan Board Senior

Eastern Orthodox Churches have their Vespers Services Saturday Night rather then Sunday. I have often wondered if it would not be helpful to have a preparatory service on Saturday evening so we would have time to reflect and prepare ourselves to come to the Lord's Table on Sunday.

6. Peter

Peter Puritan Board Junior

[b:de4209037e]jfschultz[/b:de4209037e]
    [quote:de4209037e]It should apply to all the hours of Sunday from rising in the morning to going to bed at night. [/quote:de4209037e]

True, however, for those who are not asleep during the change it is an important question. (eg Someone who works irregular hours or lives in a part of the world with only a couple hrs night, etc.)

[b:de4209037e]yeutter[/b:de4209037e]
    [quote:de4209037e]I have often wondered if it would not be helpful to have a preparatory service on Saturday evening so we would have time to reflect and prepare ourselves to come to the Lord's Table on Sunday.[/quote:de4209037e]

The Puritans emphasised preparing for the Lord's Day.
    Thomas Watson: "This day (the Sabbath) approaching, we must in the morning dress and fit our souls for the receiving of the Word. The people of Israel had to wash their garments before the Law was delivered to them. Our hearts must be washed by prayer and repentence before the oracles of God are to be delivered to us"

7. Peter

Peter Puritan Board Junior

[b:8ef7fe30f2]jfschultz[/b:8ef7fe30f2]
    [quote:8ef7fe30f2]It should apply to all the hours of Sunday from rising in the morning to going to bed at night. [/quote:8ef7fe30f2]

True, however, for those who are not asleep during the change it is an important question. (eg Someone who works irregular hours or lives in a part of the world with only a couple hrs night, etc.)

[b:8ef7fe30f2]yeutter[/b:8ef7fe30f2]
    [quote:8ef7fe30f2]I have often wondered if it would not be helpful to have a preparatory service on Saturday evening so we would have time to reflect and prepare ourselves to come to the Lord's Table on Sunday.[/quote:8ef7fe30f2]

The Puritans emphasised preparing for the Lord's Day.
    Thomas Watson: "This day (the Sabbath) approaching, we must in the morning dress and fit our souls for the receiving of the Word. The people of Israel had to wash their garments before the Law was delivered to them. Our hearts must be washed by prayer and repentence before the oracles of God are to be delivered to us"

8. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

William Gouge, The Sabbath's Sanctification:

9. Puddleglum

Puddleglum Puritan Board Sophomore

Without any real support from anything, I tend to say that the Sabbath starts whenever I go to bed Saturday, and ends when I go to bed Sunday. Or you could say from when I get up Sunday to when I get up Monday, it doesn't really make a huge difference (except for when I can't sleep Saturday night / Sunday morning and spend some of that time thinking about the Sabbath . . . ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.