When does the Sabbath Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Puritan Board Senior
Hi all, I was thinking about the Sabbath and was curious as to when all of you begin the Lord's Day. I have been putting aside my work at 12:00am Sunday morning but recently was thinking about how Jews begin the Sabbath at sundown on Friday and whether or not the Lord's Day begins at sundown Saturday night. So, I'll pose the question: When do you begin celebrating the Lord's Day?

12 midnight.

I'm living in Scotland, not Israel, which measures days from midnight to midnight.

Midnight, for similar reasons as Richard. In the west we count days from midnight to midnight, so I do not see why the Lord's day would be different

It's interesting, you will find some in the Puritan tradition who thought both-
beginning at sundown, and beginning 12midnight.

I've been comfortable using Saturday night to prepare for the Sabbath, getting things done and out of the way so there is minimal distraction during the day.

That includes things like preparing "sabbath meals," getting errands done- all to create an atmosphere where it is possible to focus on God and His Word, all the day.

I've been comfortable using Saturday night to prepare for the Sabbath, getting things done and out of the way so there is minimal distraction during the day.

That includes things like preparing "sabbath meals," getting errands done- all to create an atmosphere where it is possible to focus on God and His Word, all the day.

Thanks Scott. Do you know of any resources where I could read both perspectives? I'm inclined to agree with both Eric and Richard about how we measure days now but it certainly would be interesting to check out the two different perspectives. For now my practice is going to continue to be putting aside my work at 12:00am.

For me it varies from week to week. If I stop work at sundown on Saturday, I'm free to start again Sunday evening. If I'm working on Saturday evening, I desist until bedtime Sunday. Either way it's a 24 hour rest.

Midnight. But that doesn't mean that it is a bad idea to have some time for preparation. Part of remembering the Sabbath day to keep it holy is planning for it throughout the week.

Thanks Ruben and Josh. Apart from the obvious physical preparation, like getting done household tasks and preparing a Sabbath meal, how do you go about preparing yourself spiritually for the Sabbath?

4:17 PM in Clarkston WA. At least for me on 11/12/2011.

I agree that the midnight to midnight is fine, but I figure evening is time to begin rest and reflection.

By the way, I don't try to end the Sabbath at sunset on the Lord's Day, either. For me, it is a whole day of rest, clear into the evening, until I retire.

Sufficient unto Monday is the evil thereof. . . .

Some people I know follow Edwards, that the sabbath begins with the evening preceding the day and is to be celebrated from evening to evening. Lev.23:32

Jonathan Edwards in vol.2 of his Works Christian Cautions The Necessity of Self- Examinationhas is worth a read if you have it.

Also by chance this frees up Sunday night football.

Thanks Scott. Do you know of any resources where I could read both perspectives? I'm inclined to agree with both Eric and Richard about how we measure days now but it certainly would be interesting to check out the two different perspectives. For now my practice is going to continue to be putting aside my work at 12:00am.

Zach,

Here is one thread that discussed this, and it has some good links within to resources for understanding this.
http://www.puritanboard.com/f54/so-when-did-sabbath-stop-being-sundown-sundown-45742/

Thanks Ruben and Josh. Apart from the obvious physical preparation, like getting done household tasks and preparing a Sabbath meal, how do you go about preparing yourself spiritually for the Sabbath?
Dear Zach,

It really depends on the scenario of the weekend. If I have my little one with me, I make sure to have family worship fairly early and get her into bed for good rest. We're often at the Pastor & Wife's home so that she doesn't have to ride so much in one day. I will tend to read a little bit and pray before I go to sleep, considering the thoughts in family worship.

If I don't have my little one with me, I usually try to dig through older Puritan & Presbyterian works and mine out some sabbath quotations. You can see a few of them here: http://www.puritanboard.com/f35/various-sundry-sabbath-quotations-63032/. I will read some of the Scripture, and will usually take a look at the Church Bulletin online to see what the Sermons are and what Psalms are to be sung.

This differs in varying degress, but I mostly just think all week about the gift the sabbath day is and intensify those thoughts and meditations Saturday evening.

I've enjoyed reading your Sabbath quotations before. The reason I ask is that I'm new to the practice of keeping the Sabbath and still feel like I am missing out on the full joy of the Lord's Day. I think a lot of it is with regards to how I prepare myself during the week and the night before. A lot of my preparation reveals that I don't truly value the day as it is to be valued and don't really long for the Market Day of the Soul. Thanks for your advice brother!

Some people I know follow Edwards, that the sabbath begins with the evening preceding the day and is to be celebrated from evening to evening. Lev.23:32

Jonathan Edwards in vol.2 of his Works Christian Cautions The Necessity of Self- Examinationhas is worth a read if you have it.

Also by chance this frees up Sunday night football.

I think Durham on the 4th Commandment makes a very solid case for midnight to midnight.

And I actually find freedom from recreations one of the most restful features of the Christian sabbath. I find that it gives a spaciousness to the day that is itself restful.

And I actually find freedom from recreations one of the most restful features of the Christian sabbath. I find that it gives a spaciousness to the day that is itself restful.

I like that. It is how I view it too. It is wonderful to catch a glimpse of heaven in that rest.

For me it starts when I wake up and ends when I go to bed. That is how I count every other day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back