When not to defend one's life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exodus 22

2 “If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; 3 but if it happens after sunrise, he is guilty of bloodshed.

I interpret this passage to mean that if a thief breaks in at night and you don't know whether or not he is trying to kill you and your family you should fight, not with the intention of killing him, but to defend yourself. If he dies so be it - you are not guilty. If he breaks in after sunrise (in broad daylight) there is much less confusion and you may be able to avoid such violence and allow law enforcement to takecare of the situation.

Can law enforcement get there faster in daylight?

Exodus 22

2 “If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; 3 but if it happens after sunrise, he is guilty of bloodshed.

I interpret this passage to mean that if a thief breaks in at night and you don't know whether or not he is trying to kill you and your family you should fight, not with the intention of killing him, but to defend yourself. If he dies so be it - you are not guilty. If he breaks in after sunrise (in broad daylight) there is much less confusion and you may be able to avoid such violence and allow law enforcement to takecare of the situation.

I might be wrong, but I believe the daylight is supposed to let you know that the person in your house is merely a thief and not someone intending to physically harm, in which case the head of the household would be inflicting unreasonable harm.

Brian,
with all due respect, I'm not sure you read my post closely enough to catch the three-fold nuance to my reply.

I think we have to start by figuring out first when and where, under what circumstances we will follow Christ to the cross. We should be very clear to ourselves on this point. If you haven't decided how to be a lamb led to the slaughter, or you are frankly unwilling to EVER be (or allow your wife and children to be!) this submissive under any circumstances, without violent refusal--now would be a good time to think about it, not when the potential suddenly comes upon you.

Other (criminal, warfare, etc.) situations will draw forth from each of us a variety of responses, bearing in mind self-defense, self-preservation, family, brotherhood, etc.

I probably didn't catch it. Sorry about that. I'll reread it. But I also will see if it seems that we are to be sheep lead to the slaughter. While it may be that those that were totally overpowered did not fight a futile fight, I think of Paul's defense "If I have committed a crime worthy of death, I do not refuse to die ..." He appealed to law to defend his life, and did not willingly go to death. The early church had to differentiate between true martyrs and those that sought death. A martyr from my standpoint is one that has done everything they can to survive, but is steadfast in faith, and refuses to curse those that kill him. I would not necessarily call someone that could defend themselves or their family with legal means (without denying the faith) and yet does face death a martyr.

We are called to take up our cross, and follow Christ, but I do not believe that means we should ever submit to illegal threat to life without resisting. The ten commandments are binding for all time, and that includes the protection of innocent life commanded in the sixth includes defending our life when possible without denying faith. And while I see it possible for me to give up my own life, I would think it heinous to not defend my family to the same extent. Might there be a time where I realize there are no options? Where nothing I have the power to do will make a difference? Yes. But if I can save an innocent life without denying faith, then I should do so.

Elijah when confronted with 51 armed men, called down fire from heaven to consume them. He only went with the captain of the third group (after destroying the first 102 men that came to him) when the man pleaded for his life and begged mercy. We might not be able to call fire down from heaven as Elijah, but we should be no less concerned to protect ourselves when innocent than Elijah, and no less ready to face death if we have done something worthy of death than Paul.

-----Added 9/27/2009 at 11:17:19 EST-----

Exodus 22

I might be wrong, but I believe the daylight is supposed to let you know that the person in your house is merely a thief and not someone intending to physically harm, in which case the head of the household would be inflicting unreasonable harm.

While the person teaching me this could have been wrong, what I heard was that if someone breaks in at night, and you kill them while they are there in the act then you are not guilty. If you wait until the next day (or even discover the theft the next day) and then go hunt the man down, then you are guilty. Most thefts did not occur during "broad daylight" (the idea of it is that someone committing crimes in broad daylight is even worse than the man that sneaks in and steals) and so the night/day is not when the theft is occurring, but when the killing occurred with the theft presumed to be done at night.

While the person teaching me this could have been wrong, what I heard was that if someone breaks in at night, and you kill them while they are there in the act then you are not guilty. If you wait until the next day (or even discover the theft the next day) and then go hunt the man down, then you are guilty. Most thefts did not occur during "broad daylight" (the idea of it is that someone committing crimes in broad daylight is even worse than the man that sneaks in and steals) and so the night/day is not when the theft is occurring, but when the killing occurred with the theft presumed to be done at night.

This is also the interpretation I have heard. It seems to make sense.

Aye, I think that makes more sense.

I'm not sure that Jesus or Stephen gave no defense. They both testified to the Truth but darkness hated the light they had to offer at their respective trials.

Is your question along the lines of physical resistance?

Actually it definitely was Christ defense.

John 15 9-17 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other.

It was needful for Christ to die so that we might have life. Steven was captured because he loved his neighbor so much that he couldn't stop talking about Christ so that they too might live. Neither Christ nor Steven was suicidal, for they did not die at their own hands. They died so that we would have life. They truly loved.

Exodus 22

I think you're right Ben. I didn't mean that you should depend on law enforcement if the guy is a murderer and you have to take care of it yourself. I couldn't kill someone for taking something from me. But if I thought I or my family was in danger I'd think nothing of killing a murderer.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back