When The Darkness Will Not Lift...Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're welcome Norm! I've just started reading it and it is already a valuable book to me. I just went and bought it for my Kindle along with "When I don't Desire God". Looking forward to both books!

Sarah, thanks for the useful Piper offering (love them free resources!).

It is interesting to muse on the interaction of providence, human sin, brain chemistry, and external circumstances in the phenomenon of depression. As a nurse, you know all too well the consequences of serotonin deficiencies in the human brain. Even if you can argue that sinful choices/reactions lead to the exacerbation of the brain chemistry, you are stuck with the question of what to do about it.

When we have a headache, we take Advil and thank God's providence for permitting us to live in an age when we have tools for coping that were unavailable to our ancestors. Diabetics take their insulin and thank the Lord for their needles. Are SSRIs and SNRIs really any different?

Frankly, in my pastoral experience and since working with seniors, I am painfully aware of the fact that the meds are only a small part of dealing with depression. Even the SSRIs and SNRIs don't "make you feel good," they merely take the edge off some of your depression so that you can constructively engage with the circumstantial, social, and spiritual issues. Books like those by Lloyd-Jones and Piper are welcome companions for those who find themselves strangely numb and disconnected. When I get through with some of my current reading, I want to tackle some of the Puritans who wrote on this theme as well.

. Books like those by Lloyd-Jones and Piper are welcome companions for those who find themselves strangely numb and disconnected. When I get through with some of my current reading, I want to tackle some of the Puritans who wrote on this theme as well.

One Puritan you (and anyone strangely numb and disconnected) should read is Amazon.com: A Lifting Up for the Downcast (Puritan Paperbacks): William Bridge: Books
Simply fabulous preaching by William Bridge a true physician of souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back