When to service my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AThornquist

Puritan Board Doctor
Hiyas! I was wondering when I should have my car serviced. The sticker given to me by the automotive shop from the last time I had my car serviced (March, If I recall correctly) says to come in "May 2010/25,000 Miles" and my car is only at 24,000 at the moment. I thought that meant that I should have had it serviced in May 2010, though a friend of mine said that I should always do it with the miles suggestion. What say the car buffs?

Thank you!

People talk about every 3000 miles, but we always do it every 5000, and pay THE SAME MECHANIC to do it. Get someone who you know and has records of your car.

Check your owner's manual--many have two or three tracks/paths for service depending on your driving style. 3000 is rarely recommended anymore for late-model cars. Even my 2001 Camry recommends 5K for non-dusty, non-stop/go driving.

Invest in a good synthetic blend motor oil and have your oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles (if you do a lot of stop-and-go driving), or every 5,000 miles (if you do predominately highway driving). Don't get drawn into the Mobil One synthetic oil trap. Unless you do extreme driving, or haul a trailer/boat constantly, there is no need for a full synthetic oil in a passenger car.

Have your tires rotated every 10,000 miles. Ask the mechanic to look for sign of uneven wear. Uneven wear may indicate the need for an alignment.

DO NOT go to Jiffy Lube or any other quick lube place. Their profit margin on oil changes is modest. They rely on add-ons like wiper blades, PCV valve, air filters, power steering flush, transmission fluid flush, air conditioning recharge, and engine oil flush to boost their profit. You can save money by changing your own air filter, PCV valve, and wiper blades. It's super easy. Most new cars are able to go 100,000 miles or more without service to the transmission. You only need to check your transmission fluid to make sure it is pink and does not smell burnt. Transmissions are a sealed component and the only contaminants likely to appear in the transmission fluid are wear metals. Air conditioning recharge is another matter. Automotive air conditioning systems rely on hoses which can become punctured and leak coolant. If you notice your air conditioning system is not cooling, bring it to your mechanic. He can run a diagnostic test that will determine the cause of lost cooling and fix the problem. A recharge without fixing the problem is not a good solution. Having your engine oil flushed is not something you should need if you use a good quality oil and have it changed as per above. Varnish, carbon coking, lacquer, and sludge form in engines when the oil is not changed or the engine runs on too little oil. Power steering flush? There usually is no need for this service as long as the pump is operating properly and you have the right fluid level.

Have your belt(s) checked every 10,000 miles (when you have your tires rotated). Most cars have a serpentine belt which powers the water pump, alternator, and fan. Your mechanic will tell you when your belt needs to be changed. At the same time have your brakes checked. You may be able to have your rotors turned once, or even twice, before you will need new ones. That all depends on your driving habits and driving conditions. Avoid the lifetime brake promotions run by the major chains. Brake pads are the least expensive part of a brake job. It's the labor that really costs you. Most of those promotions only cover the cost of the pads.

There are two things you can do to properly take care of your car and minimize/eliminate unnecessary costs. The first is to fine a good mechanic and take your car there for all its service needs. A mechanic who knows your car is worth his weight in gold. The second is be an informed consumer. Don't fall for the slick marketing gimmicks of the major chains.

By the way, I sell lubricants for a living. Much of what I'm sharing I have learned through my job.

1 year or 12 000 miles, whatever comes first. Some makes of cars can go a wee but longer but generally speaking you would want it once a year. Usually in the autumn when you can change the anti-freeze for the winter as well as checking the battery as the winter weather tends to find out any problems with the car.

What do you mean by serviced? Timing belts usually go for 100K. Mine is on 120 LOL. Okay 130. When they break it can tear up your engine if it is older. If you are talking oil changes it matters what kind of oil you use. Conventional oil needs changed around 3k. Synthetic needs to be changed at 5K unless it is better. Tune ups are a thing in the past since we no longer have points in our distributors that send out the sparks to the spark plugs. Plugs last 100K for the most part now days. You will have more problems with fuel injectors and should probably ask your mechanic if you should run a gas additive in your gas ever now and again. I know some guys who do not recommend it if you have it done it regularly as will break stuff up and clog your injectors.

I come from a racing family. My avatar is with a woman who drives a front engine dragster. She is just a friend. This is her car.

DSCN1092.jpg

I was referring to an oil change primarily (with a few things I wanted to bring up, such as my air conditioner not helping and squeaky brakes). Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back