Where are you on the Calvinism Chart?

What kind of Calvinist Are You?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Civbert

Puritan Board Junior
Look at the following Calvinism Chart and see which best fits your particular Calvinist position. You don't have to agree explicitly with each definition, just place yourself were you most agree.

This is an OPEN POLL. Your selection is not secret.

1. Hyper-Calvinism: Beliefs: God is the author of sin and man has no responsibility before God. The Gospel should only preached to the elect. i.e. duty faith. and anti-missionary Belief in the five points is a prerequisite for true salvation, also known as Neo-Gnostic Calvinism. Proponents: Joseph Hussey John Skepp and some English primitive Baptists.

2. Ultra High Calvinism: Beliefs: That the elect are in some sense eternally justified. A denial of: The Well– Meant Offer; Common Grace; and God having any love for the non-elect. Proponents: John Gill, some ministers in the Protestant Reformed Church of America

3. High Calvinism: Beliefs: That God in no sense desires to save the reprobate, Most deny the Well-Meant Offer. Supralapsarian viewing God’s decrees. All hold to limited atonement. Most believe in particular grace and see the atonement as sufficient only for the elect. Proponents: Theodore Beza, Gordon Clark, Arthur Pink

4. Moderate Calvinism: Beliefs: That God does in some sense desires to save the reprobate, Infralapsarian in viewing God’s decrees. Affirms Common Grace. Proponents: John Calvin (some argue that he was a High-Calvinist), John Murray, RL Dabney

5. Low Calvinism: Beliefs: That Christ died for all in a legal sense, so one can speak of Christ dying for the non-elect. That God has two distinct wills. Affirms the Well-Meant Offer and Common Grace, Proponents: Amyraldrians , RT Kendal

6. Lutheranism: Beliefs: That Calvinist over emphasize God Sovereignty over man’s responsibility. That Christ died for all in legal sense, that some are predestined on to life but none are predestined onto death. That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. Proponents: Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Rod Rosenbladt

7. American Baptist: Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. Once a persons believes the gospel, he is eternally secure. Rejects Calvinism, some would even call it heretical. Proponents: Jerry Falwell, Adrian Rogers

8. Arminianism Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is solely based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. A person can fall from the state of grace i.e. lose ones salvation, since it is our free will that chooses Christ at conversion. Proponents: Jacob Arminius, John Wesley some Methodists

http://www.exegiaaudio.org/exegiacalvinsimweb.mht

P.S. Almost forgot: copyright Rev Jonathan James Goundry. Thanks VanVos.

Last edited:
You label me!!

I believe that the gospel is to be preached to all mankind; however,
I deny duty faith and duty repentance.
I deny common grace.
I deny that the gospel is an "offer" and is rather a declaration.
I hold to eternal justification.
I hold to supralapsarianism.

= in my opinion I am a high Calvinist :book2:

I picked ultra-high just so the curve will be a little more uniform. :) High-calvinism is probably the best fit for me.

I'm a little confused as to the difference between ultra and high octane Calvinism?

Also, per High it states: "Some believe in particular grace. . . ."

Should that be common grace? I thought all Calvinists even the anemic kind believe in particular grace?

Thanks for putting the poll together. Looks like High-calvinism is general consensus of the puritanboard.

Aren't you jumping to conclusions? There have only been 7 respondents so far. This isn't CBS news! :lol:

I picked High Calvinism, but I can say that in discussion on other forums I go into ultra high Calvinism in some of the way I put things

Well, after answering the last poll wrongly because I didn't understand a term ("justified true belief" where I thought true meant genuine/sincere and it meant correct) I'm going to ask first before I define myself!

I've heard different people mean different things by "common grace". I believe in it in the sense that all men deserve hell, yet are allowed this present life for a time. I also believe that for the non-elect those good things are unto judgment so maybe that is denying common grace. So what do you mean by it so that I can know if I believe it or deny it? :)

And I don't know what i think about the lapsarianism business, so I won't count that in my answer. I think I'm going to end up "high" but the jury's still out. I have to admit that "high" sounds more respectable than "low" so I feel somewhat abashed about choosing it, but that's the way it goes.

I'm a little confused as to the difference between ultra and high octane Calvinism?

Also, per High it states: "Some believe in particular grace. . . ."

Should that be common grace? I thought all Calvinists even the anemic kind believe in particular grace?

Depends who you read:

In my reading I found that John Owen was a high calvinist but believed in common grace, I think also Turretin. Some say no high calvinist believes in common grace, some say all do, so I think the most accurate position is some do.

VanVos

Jenny, just click on "High." :lol:

Also, I think VanVos (Jonathan) admits there may be some adjustments needed in his definitions/distinctions. And there is some overlap to be considered. But looking at the spectrum of categories, one can generally pick a place for himself. :2cents:

Aren't you jumping to conclusions? There have only been 7 respondents so far. This isn't CBS news! :lol:
:rofl: You can go home folks - the winner has been declared!

I'm feeling lonely as the uno ultra. I wonder if we will see the Buffalo effect. Anyone feel influenced by the fact that (so far) the vast majority is High-Calvinism. Does it make want to vote with the winners.

The inner-irrationalist in me feels like a loser. But then the same inner-irrationalist says being at the top of the list makes me number one!

<play Rocky theme music>

:D

I perceive that most puritanboard folks will be high to ultra. I think the people here like to be consistent in their theology :)

Depends who you read:

In my reading I found that John Owen was a high calvinist but believed in common grace, I think also Turretin. Some say no high calvinist believes in common grace, some say all do, so I think the most accurate position is some do.

VanVos

I would say this is a good illustration of why broad distinctions like these (low, moderate, high, ultra-high Calvinism) are often arbitrary and seldom helpful. Much better to compare the Reformed confessions (and theologians) on each individual issue, observing where they are silent, and where they emphasize things differently.

That said, I did vote, but basically just in hopes of helping to make it clear that infralapsarians do make up a significant portion of all Calvinists currently (just as they always have historically).

As I see it, the Well-Meant-Offer reflects the view of the Murray-Stonehouse Report in 1948 response to Clark-VanTil controversy.

I picked high calvinism.

supralapsarian, limited atonement, the atonement is sufficient for the elect only.

I would say this is a good illustration of why broad distinctions like these (low, moderate, high, ultra-high Calvinism) are often arbitrary and seldom helpful. Much better to compare the Reformed confessions (and theologians) on each individual issue, observing where they are silent, and where they emphasize things differently.
I think it's actually quite useful in getting a ball-park view. The fact that there are different denominations is a case in point. If we didn't find the categories helpful, we'd all be non-denominational.

That said, I did vote, but basically just in hopes of helping to make it clear that infralapsarians do make up a significant portion of all Calvinists currently (just as they always have historically).

Didn't the infra make up the majority in that poll? I think it was pretty evenly split. I'll have to do a search.

P.S. It was close, almost 40% infra. http://www.puritanboard.com/showthread.php?t=16603&highlight=supralapsarian

HIGH Calvinism.
I'm glad no one has said "I'm a high Calvinist" because certain hippy types might get the wrong idea...:lol:

Curious as to who the hyper vote belongs to...
It's an open poll. You can click on the numbers to see who voted for what.

Should I have added that information to the first post? I think we tend to think open polling is not good, and secret ballets are better. But I was interested in seeing if anyones vote were a surprise.

P.S. I just added that poll is "open" in the first post.

I am majority moderate, but as with most polls the options are limited. The part of me that isn't moderate is high, but not ultra-high.

JH

I think free-will baptists generally deny Eternal security, don't they?

Adrian Rogers wouldn't, by that standard, qualify as a free-will baptist.

I don't think falwell would either...???

<--high C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back