Where are you on the Calvinism Chart?

What kind of Calvinist Are You?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I agree the title free will baptist is misleading. I was going put Southern Baptist, but that also a mixed camp. Maybe general Baptist would be a better term.

VanVos

I went with High, but was tempted to go Ultra so Anthony won't feel lonely. :lol:

I agree that perhaps the definitions could have been clearer. For example for High:

1. "God in no sense desires to save the reprobate"

Yet,

2. "some deny the Well-Meant Offer."

Wouldn't the affirmation of 1 be the necessary denial of 2 since the WMO is the idea that God desires to save the reprobate?

Although I tend to lean toward the Ultra position, since for example I think there is a sense in which the elect are in some sense eternally justified (see Kuyper and Richard Bacon) and also if love is an action then I would say the love question is answered above per #1 which would mean Highs are really Ultras and just don't know it.

I'll gladly sit in the "High Calvinism" pew with Turretin and Owen. :cheers:
Although I lean toward Infra rather than Supra.

Yes, I couldn't work out why Turretin's name was attached to a position which outrightly calls itself supralapsarian. And Owen taught the absolute necessity of the atonement, so that effectively banishes him to the fringes of high-Calvinism. I would summarise high calvinism as the belief that God does all things according to the counsel of His will.

I wanna be high, so high
I wanna be free to know
The things I do are right
I wanna be free
Just me, babe!
That's why I'm easy
I'm easy like Sunday morning

I'm a High Calvinist but I'm also easy like Sunday morning. :D

I would say this is a good illustration of why broad distinctions like these (low, moderate, high, ultra-high Calvinism) are often arbitrary and seldom helpful. Much better to compare the Reformed confessions (and theologians) on each individual issue, observing where they are silent, and where they emphasize things differently.

I completely agree. Anymore, I prefer to call myself a Christian that subscribes to a Reformed Confession. That said, I voted anyway because I hate seeing polls forever that have no results.

Incidentally, it will be interesting if any vote for some of the low hanging fruit options from a board membership standpoint.

High Calvinist for the most part kind of hard to label all of what I am.

I'm a Hyper-Calvinist after drinking 10 cups of Java. ;)

Moderate Calvinism: Which I have always been taught as "low calvinism" so I picked low (mistakenly by this polls definitions). to call amyraldianism low calvinism is an insult to John Calvin and Moses Amyraut. I agree with Sproul a 4 point calvinist is an arminian.

I'm hoping that the one hyper is just a High Calvinist jacked up on Red Bull.

To put your fears to rest, Bob, lack of sleep may have something to do with it. April 30 is almost here.

Anyhow, I still had on my mind how it seems you are either hyper or arminian when I voted here. I believe I am properly classified as high calvinist, but there is no way to change my vote.

Maybe a mod can move me over?

I think for profound questions such as these we need to keep this always in the fore of our thinking:

W.W.R.W.D. - What Would Rick Warren Do?

High Calvinism.

there's 2 on hyper and 2 on ultra now. This board needs to cut back on the caffiene.

A Re-vote

I voted moderate Calvinism but when I looked farther into it I think I would classify myself as a High Calvinist. I tend to lean more the supra view of things. So if I could vote again I would vote High Calvinist.

:spurgeon: "If it were Christ's intention to save all men, how deplorably he has been disappointed!"

Can you hold to high or ultrahigh calvinism and still affirm common grace and an infra position ?

There's been some good feed back here on the chart. I appreciate some of the comments. I'm going to make some revisions. And then post it on exegia.org . I think it is going to be impossible to get these definition iron clad and water tight, but I'll try to be as accurate as possible, that's why I intentionally blurred the colors to show that the different positions can overlap at times i.e. Turretin being infra and not supra.

VanVos

There's been some good feed back here on the chart. I appreciate some of the comments. I'm going to make some revisions. And then post it on exegia.org . I think it is going to be impossible to get these definition iron clad and water tight, but I'll try to be as accurate as possible, that's why I intentionally blurred the colors to show that the different positions can overlap at times i.e. Turretin being infra and not supra.

VanVos

BTW - What software are you using to produce the chart?

Hi:

I am between moderate and high Calvinism. I choose moderate Calvinism because, according to the descriptions, high Calvinism denies the Free Offer of the Gospel.

-CH

A better phrasing would be to say that God loves all men with a general love and God is kind to all and loves them by giving them undeserved pleasures even though they will end up in hell.

God loves all the world (considered as a whole) of both man and an nature in that he saves mankind and nature through the salvation of the Elect and the restoration of the world in the Age to Come. Like A Gardener loving his Garden as a whole and expressing that love by picking out the weeds.

I don't know what kind of gardener you are, but I know I hate weeds as do all of my neighbors, who are arguably better gardeners than I will ever be.

Also, while the sun and the rain fall on the elect and reprobate alike so do towers like the one in Siloam (Luke 13:4). The Lord's curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the dwelling of the righteous (Prov 3:33). While I'm sure one can point to the material and temporal blessings God bestowed on even the reprobate (and you just have to watch MTV to get a sense of this today), yet God said he hated Esau even from his mother's the womb. I tend to think these temporal "blessings" are not so much blessings as they are a means of judgment:

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter.
James 5:1-5

The whole general love idea reminds me of a song by Tom Waits called Chocolate Jesus:

Dont go to church on sunday
Dont get on my knees to pray
Dont memorize the books of the bible
I got my own special way
Bit I know Jesus loves me
Maybe just a little bit more

Well, maybe not. Anyway, your other points concerning God's supposed unfulfilled desire are spot on.

About infra versus supra lapersianism, I agree with Robert L Dabney that this whole thing is a "useless controversy".

You should read Robert Reymond. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back