I wanna be high, so high
I wanna be free to know
The things I do are right
I wanna be free
Just me, babe!
That's why I'm easy
I'm easy like Sunday morning

I'm a High Calvinist but I'm also easy like Sunday morning. :D

Bob 'I want to sing Lionel Ritchie on American Idol' Vigneault.

Bob 'I want to sing Lionel Ritchie on American Idol' Vigneault.

simon_cowell_idol-v_226727m.jpg

Okay I've made a couple of revisions to the chart found here, which should hopefully be more accurate explanation of the different positions

VanVos

Okay I've made a couple of revisions to the chart found here, which should hopefully be more accurate explanation of the different positions

VanVos

I updated the initial post but let me know if I missed anything. I couldn't change the poll to show American Baptist instead of Free-Will Baptist but the first post shows the change.

BTW, Moderate Calvinists affirm the well meant offer. Murray did, as well as Calvin. Some delineate however between ardent desire and preceptive will. There is a difference.

I chose High Calvinism, though I have sympathy for some of the moderate positions. Like a previous person said, while I do hold to the well meant offer, I view it more as a declaration then a genuine offer. I think the atonement would be sufficient for all, but God chooses to only apply it to the elect.

It feels kind of weird choosing an option that would make me more of a Calvinist then Calvin :D

I chose High Calvinism, though I have sympathy for some of the moderate positions. Like a previous person said, while I do hold to the well meant offer, I view it more as a declaration then a genuine offer. I think the atonement would be sufficient for all, but God chooses to only apply it to the elect.

It feels kind of weird choosing an option that would make me more of a Calvinist then Calvin :D

That is the same what I believe on that issue, if by that you mean that God works that "offer" himself in the hearts of His people ...

Now if we could sway you to the paedo position, brother ....

BertMulder said:
That is the same what I believe on that issue, if by that you mean that God works that "offer" himself in the hearts of His people ...

Yep.

BertMulder said:
Now if we could sway you to the paedo position, brother

While I find the Padeo arguments compelling I find the Padeo critiques of the Credo position far from compelling if that makes any sense? Thus, while I am currently wrestling with the Padeo arguments, I'm not wrestling with them in the sense that they have poked holes in my Credo view but rather that they provide another compelling presentation of how to view baptism, covenant, etc.

I voted "high" with the idea that there is some common grace afforded to God's creation. Supra vs. Infra becomes a philosophical argument in my mind.

I voted High Calvinist, but I actually agree with everything listed for Ultra-High Calvinism except the phrase about eternal justification. I do believe that there is a sense in which the elect are eternally united to Christ though.

A Slight Change due to Terminology

After reflecting further on the defintions provided and on the "common understanding" of key terms (e.g. justified, love, well-meant offer, common grace ), not to mention the public displaying of how each person responded to the poll, I am compelled to publically change my vote to High Calvinism.

In a "sense" there is not much difference between both Ultra and High--i.e., depending on how one defines and limits the "sense" of the terms above.

Jim

Look at the following
[*] Lutheranism: Beliefs: That Calvinist over emphasize God Sovereignty over man’s responsibility. That Christ died for all in legal sense, that some are predestined on to life but none are predestined onto death. That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. Proponents: Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Rod Rosenbladt

If I read Luther correctly this definition misrepresents the position of Martin Luther. It correctly reflects the position of Melanchthon and the Book of Concord.

For the record I listed myself as ultra high Calvinist because:
1.] I am troubled by the doctrine of Common Grace as set forth by VanTil and reject the doctrine of Common Grace as set forth by the Christian Reformed Church.
2.] I do not agree with the idea of a free well meant offer of the Gospel as set forth by Murray & Stonehouse.

I chose Ultra-High. I think this is an accurate breakdown of my thinking. Although I do hold to a view of Common Grace, though not like most views. I had a conversation one time with a Calvinist buddy and he asked me if I believed in Common Grace. The kind where God desires the salvation of the elect in some sense, which is a sense that I have never heard explained to my satifaction. He holds to a 2 will scenario much like Piper. I responded in saying that the only thing holding back God's wrath on this world(non-elect) is the elect. Once the last elect is brought into the kingdom, earthly speaking, it is "game over." Much like the fllood of Noah. If that is how Common Grace is defined, I am alright with that. Another way I think of Common Grace is that God lets the unrightous live, breath, and have a grand ol' time for the sake of the elect coming to faith. I am not sure who that view may line up with historically speaking.

BTW, I grew up in the LCMS so I am fond of the denomination. I'm glad to see we have a least a one from that denomination. The Missouri Synod is the the Evangelical Lutheran Church is what the PCA is to the PCUSA.

In it, I cite liberally from Luther's The Bondage of the Will, showing that popular Calvinism is in fact far weaker than Luther's view regarding God's sovereignty over all things, including sin and evil. In fact, several of the harsh rebukes that Luther unleashes against Erasmus can be directly applied to popular Calvinism without any modification. I also argue against passive reprobation in this section.

link

Interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back