Where are your miracles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
I have often heard various reformed teachers say that one of retorts to Martin Luther was "Where are your miracles?"

Does anyone have a direct quote of such?

The reason I ask is because I have read of various ways The Lord has worked the miraculous among Reformed Christians, which I am not disputing, because if so we now can answer the charge that God works with us Protestants today when He seems fit.

PS. I am partial to the reply that used to be made by holding up the bible and saying "Here they are". :)

From Calvin's Prefatory address in his Institutes (referring to the Roman Catholic Church):
3. In demanding miracles from us, they act dishonestly; for we have not coined some new gospel, but retain the very one the truth of which is confirmed by all the miracles which Christ and the apostles ever wrought. But they have a peculiarity which we have not - they can confirm their faith by constant miracles down to the present day! Nay rather, they allege miracles which might produce wavering in minds otherwise well disposed; they are so frivolous and ridiculous, so vain and false.

Today in class one of the chaplains wanted us to go around the table and share a miracle that we'd witnessed. As it turned out, I was the last person to have a turn. These guys were saying things like, "The things they can do here with prosthetics... that's a miracle." and "A baby." and "The beauty of the sunrise."

After all that drivel, I had to swallow some bile, and then I flatly said that I'd never witnessed a miracle and that neither had they, and that instead of cheapening the meaning of what truly is miraculous by attributing the label to amazing and wonderful providences, we should just be honest and say that we've not seen a miracle. That way we retain our credibility instead of sounding like sentimental girls.
That didn't go over too well. So then I said, "ok... a mother's love." Then they were happy again.

I don't know about miracles, but I see astounding providences from the Lord's hand every day.

Today in class one of the chaplains wanted us to go around the table and share a miracle that we'd witnessed. As it turned out, I was the last person to have a turn. These guys were saying things like, "The things they can do here with prosthetics... that's a miracle." and "A baby." and "The beauty of the sunrise."

After all that drivel, I had to swallow some bile, and then I flatly said that I'd never witnessed a miracle and that neither had they, and that instead of cheapening the meaning of what truly is miraculous by attributing the label to amazing and wonderful providences, we should just be honest and say that we've not seen a miracle. That way we retain our credibility instead of sounding like sentimental girls.
That didn't go over too well. So then I said, "ok... a mother's love." Then they were happy again.

I agree with your approach entirely. At the same time every regeneration is most emphatically a miracle of the highest order.
And additionnally the book of galatians has Paul posing a similiar question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back