Where did Bernard say Vade et meâ fide confisus sacrifica

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Another one for those who like needle in haystack challenges. Samuel Rutherford says the below. He likely got it second hand from a reference to Azor's Institutionum moralium which place he had just previously cited. Any ideas where Bernard said this, if, big if he said this? Azor for his sixth question in the place cites Gerson and Sylvester; other editions have the references clear than the link I just gave.
Papists, miserable comforters, say a special way to be delivered is to submit yourself to a superior's blind command. They say, a priest was freed of his scruple when he obeyed Bernard's bare word, and trusted in it; hearing that, Vade et meâ fide confisus sacrifica, go and upon my faith sacrifice confidently.

I had found those but couldn't discern any sort of reference so didn't think to link them and let others try.

Looking at Rutherford and using Google Translate for some of the Latin of what I linked above, it seems like it was a common anecdote, rather than a quote from something Bernard wrote.

I doubt this would be found written in any of the works of Bernard. He was an Abbot, and most of what he said to priests under his charge would have been merely verbal (assuming he actually said this). The only part of his works likely to contain personal instructions is his letters, but he would have had no need to write letters those in his own monastery, except during his travels.
His letters are contained in PL 185, and do not contain these words.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back