Where did Enoch and Elijah go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because it sounds weird doesn't mean it is weird. Can't be anything wrong with it if that's how God wants it.

I wholeheartedly agree. However, I don't think anyone has received a glorified body prior to our Lord Jesus Christ being the first fruits as our eternally begotten Son of God, Lord, Saviour, Master and Older Brother by way of adoption. A few comments for your consideration:

1. Matthew 17:9 where the LORD says 'tell the vision to no man'. Emphasis mine. From this it does not seem to fit that two Old Testament saints were miraculously transported in glorified bodies to accompany a brief glimpse of the glory of Christ on the Mount of Transfiguration, only to have a quick chat prior to being whisked away. Moses very likely represented the Law, and Elijah very likely represented the Prophets. So this may be considered either an inter-testament sign of assurance to the three apostles and unbroken continuity as it pertains to our Lord Jesus Christ's earthly ministry.

2. Glorified bodies are received when we see our Lord Jesus Christ in accordance with 1 John 3:2 if I'm exegeting the text properly. The reading my KJV is: "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." Emphasis also mine.

3. During the resurrection appearances of our Lord Jesus Christ prior to His ascension, we're given what may be a hint as to how to discern a spirit appearing as a man from a man in a mortal or glorified body. In Luke 24:39 we are told "for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have," and yet after showing His hands and feet in the following verse (Luke 24:40), this resemblance does not appear to satisfy the apostles who 'yet believed not for joy, and wondered'. Our Lord Jesus Christ then asks if they have any meat, He receives a piece of broiled fish and honeycomb, then takes and eats it (paraphrasing Luke 23:41-43).

Grace and peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought these passages were interesting.
Mat 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
Mat 17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
Mat 17:6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
Mat 17:7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.
Mat 17:8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

2Pe 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
2Pe 1:17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
2Pe 1:18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Only Christ is presently in a glorified body. He entered into heaven FIRST as the forerunner. He is the FIRSTfruits.

They were the exception in being the only two guys to get taken to Heaven without dying, so why can't they be the exception in also getting their glorified bodies first? God is free to do what He likes.
Because the bible says Christ entered first as forerunner. Because Christ prepared a place for us who will follow. Because Christ is the firstfruits of those who sleep. Because Christ is the firstborn from the dead. You can look up the passages.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the sermon or teaching I heard said that these may have been “notable” saints.
I think that David would qualify as a "notable saint". So this blows a hole in that theory.

Acts 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

You're right - somehow I completely missed that and stand corrected. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I still think the biggest obstacle to overcome is Jesus being the first. Without more time and study on the matter, I will leave it at that.
Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth.

Graham, the Admins here generally frown on making back to back to back to back posts like that. If you are entering a thread that is in progress, and want to comment on multiple things, you can hit "+Quote" on each post, then hit "Reply" and reply to them all at once.

Before the resurrection our bodies rest in the grave and our disembodied souls go to the Lord. After the resurrection we will be reunited again body and soul.

Enoch and Elijah were never...well...disembodied. They disappeared with their bodies.

Are they and Jesus the only "intact" persons there right now? Or did Enoch and Elijah go somewhere else to wait?

The Garden of Eden had no sin but was physical. Could they be waiting there? Or did they precede Jesus to heaven with their bodies even though Jesus is the first-fruits of the resurrection?

Related question: If it is appointed to every man to die once.....well....don't they gotta die? Are they the two witnesses to be killed in Revelation? Seems like they gotta die.

Any thoughts?

I have no idea. This is my thought.

Graham, the Admins here generally frown on making back to back to back to back posts like that. If you are entering a thread that is in progress, and want to comment on multiple things, you can hit "+Quote" on each post, then hit "Reply" and reply to them all at once.
Thank you for the tip on etiquette. I don't interact on here that much.

I always thought these passages were interesting.
Mat 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
Mat 17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
Mat 17:6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
Mat 17:7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.
Mat 17:8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

2Pe 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
2Pe 1:17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
2Pe 1:18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Is that Santa Claus in your profile pic? Or maybe Gandalf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back