Where did Jerome NOT say this?

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
In Daniel Campbell's Sacramental Meditations (something I'm working on for church) he cites Isaac Ambrose who cites Jerome from Philip Bosquier c. 1601 (see below). Bosquier gives no source. By 1622, another author cites the passage and gives Bosquier as the source and the Glossa Ordinaria. Other works tie this to a sermon by Vincent of Ferrer (died 1419) and he also references the gloss. See here. See English here. I've looked in vain in the Glossa. One can search the basic text here. But also I've tried looking in the text that includes Lyra's commentary to no avail as well (1545 edition). I can't tell but the text in Vincent and Bosquier are not the same and I am assuming the Bosquier is a paraphrase? As well may be the Vincent. Not sure where to go next; it may well be Vincent is not quoting but simply referencing the Glossa? Ideas? Jerome is referenced in the Glossa at Matthew 27 but not to the point.
Here is Bosquier (1601).
Sex carnifices accedunt. Duo eorum, virgis spineis: duo, loris nodosis, duo, catenis ferreis, vnguibus terminatis aduncis: incipiuntque primi totis viribus eum percutere, adduntur vulnera Vulneribus: decurrit sanguis. Primis defessis, succedunt secundi, et nouis vlneribus vetera cumulant: quos mox tertij subsequuntur, qui vnciuis, carnem, ac pellem auellunt.
An abbreviated reference is given here and adds the reference to Vincent of Ferrer. Another later work c.1687 tied the two together and that helped.
This is cited a lot; an abbreviated reference is: Six carnifices accedunt, duo eorum irgis spineis, duo loricis (loris?) nudosis, et duo catenis ferreis. Hier. lib 3, c. 4. The reference should be Lyre, lib. 3, cap. 4. (different from Lyra of the Glossa).

Last edited:
Well, no joy for me either... It reminds me of the recent search we did for Bernard saying that a solider struck Christ with an iron glove - copiously cited but nothing shows up in the given corpus... it's a little odd that they both involve the same subject matter too...

Well, no joy for me either... It reminds me of the recent search we did for Bernard saying that a solider struck Christ with an iron glove - copiously cited but nothing shows up in the given corpus... it's a little odd that they both involve the same subject matter too...
Reviewing that and the 1739 reference, I see they also have Vincent of Ferrer in common.

Back