Where Did You Attend Seminary?

Where Did You/Are You Attend/ing Seminary?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Where did you (or your Pastor) attend Seminary? What are some of the things you remember most (good and bad)? Looking back now what are some things you would change (or hope had not changed)?

Looking forward to the discussion.

-----Added 5/1/2009 at 08:40:32 EST-----

That should say "Mid-America Reformed Seminary" can a mod please fix?

Where did you (or your Pastor) attend Seminary? What are some of the things you remember most (good and bad)? Looking back now what are some things you would change (or hope had not changed)?

Looking forward to the discussion.

-----Added 5/1/2009 at 08:40:32 EST-----

That should say "Mid-America Reformed Seminary" can a mod please fix?

Fixed.

I greatly enjoyed my seminary experience. There is something to be said for looking forward to going to class each day. While there were things that could have been improved (e.g., more or an emphasis on preaching and less on other "ministry" classes), I found the time profitable, the professors qualified and friendly, and a nice foundation laid for further study.

Currently, Whitefield Theological Seminary for an MAR then hopefully, if I can take any more, some sort of Phd. possibly on the works and thought of Jonathan Edwards.

But I have to learn Greek first.

Fuller Theological Seminary--11 extension courses that don't transfer in to Whitefield Seminary where I am slowly working on a degreee in counseling. Dr. Talbot is my pastor and seminary professor for the counseling classes.

I have just finished at Geveva Reformed Seminary in Greenville, SC.:graduate: It is the seminary of the Free Presbyterian Seminary North America. I am however, Baptist.

WTS East. The only thing I would have changed is that I would have taken 4 years, not 3. It was like drinking from a fire hydrant. But oh the water was good.

Fuller . . .

"on the one hand . . . but on the other hand"

That was it. That sums up everything negative I have to say. The cafeteria model of education serves up a mainline Presbyterian at 8, charismatic Methodist at 9, Cardinal Mahoney in chapel at 10 (really!!!), a lapsed Baptist at 11, with an Assemblies brother (glory!) at 1. By the time you are done, you do not know what you believe anymore but simply recite the mantra: "on the one hand . . . but on the other hand." As an alum, they will send you e-mails about exciting emergent events coming to your area and ask you to support their program generously.

Having served on my denominational ordination committee for 28 years now, we have "processed" hundreds of grads from my alma mater. Few of them can answer a simple question "yes" or "no." Too many of them seem compulsively geared toward explaining all sides of every issue, then balking on taking a stand on it at all. in my opinion, this leads to a paralysis of analysis, uncertain sound in the pulpit, and even more weakened broad evangelicalism.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play at Ford's Theater (and your time at Fuller)?

Fuller . . .

Venerable McFad, one the one hand your disappointment is certainly reasonable. But on the other hand, I get chills thinking about the seminary faculty at Bob Jones University. Until very recently, over 90% of the faculty received ALL their theological degrees from BJU/Sem. They seemed to all have the exact same beliefs, presented through the same illustrations, accompanied by the same book recommendations. I wonder why they even hired more than one teacher.

So, I suppose every school has to wage a two-pronged battle against parochialism and wishy-washiness.

How true.

We were the quintessential example of broad evangelicalism. You could be any brand of Protestant, Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox and the teachers were absolutely of one mind in treating various views with the greatest respect. Indeed, during my time there (back when it was much more conservative), the only group marginalized, belittled, or subjected to straw man categorization (c. 1975-1978) was: "rationalistic" orthodoxy (e.g., as represented by Warfield, Machen, Schaeffer, Henry, Sproul, McDowell, Montgomery, schools with inerrancy in their doctrinal statements, places that took Genesis 1-11 as anything other than poetic, folks silly enough to consider Jonah other than a literary parable, people who did not accept the scholarly consensus on the late date of Daniel, and people who still believed Paul wrote Ephesians or the Pastorals).

Fuller Theological Seminary--11 extension courses that don't transfer in to Whitefield Seminary where I am slowly working on a degreee in counseling. Dr. Talbot is my pastor and seminary professor for the counseling classes.

Your classes from Fuller did not transfer into Whitefield?

After reading McFadden's post I think I might know why. Dr. Talbot likes the student to have a good solid reformed background.

Fuller . . .

That was it. That sums up everything negative I have to say. The cafeteria model of education serves up a mainline Presbyterian at 8, charismatic Methodist at 9, Cardinal Mahoney in chapel at 10 (really!!!), a lapsed Baptist at 11, with an Assemblies brother (glory!) at 1. By the time you are done, you do not know what you believe anymore but simply recite the mantra: "on the one hand . . . but on the other hand." As an alum, they will send you e-mails about exciting emergent events coming to your area and ask you to support their program generously.

hmmmmm.....sounds like TEDS in a way. If anything, TEDS would be a conservative cafeteria of beliefs.

Anyways, I graduated from Marantha Baptist Bible College and am currently enrolled at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School with plans to transfer to Southern.

Sorry to have been so negative. Many of the grads and profs are better than the "system" (e.g., James White, John Piper, etc.)

Wikipedia gets it pretty accurately:
Fuller is welcoming both to the evangelical conservative and the theologically liberal. The faculty consists of a variety of Christian scholars with equally diverse backgrounds. Students and professors often hold diametrically opposing views and vehemently debate a wide range of religious and ethical issues, yet remain committed to their Christian camaraderie. Fuller's diverse student body and ecumenical persuasion are among its chief strengths. It is also frequently at the center of debate among religious and secular intellectuals on issues ranging from politics, religion, science and culture. Fuller instructors have been cited as seeking ways out of the conservative/liberal debate: "We need to be the voice of a third way that flows out of biblical values, instead of buying into the political ideology of either the right or the left." Currently, Fuller reports that faculty and students come from over 150 Christian denominations representing a wide variety of theological viewpoints.

Sorry for not putting Northwest Theological Seminary on the list Rev. King. Ran out of room with only 25 options.

Not a problem--I voted other for that reason. However since I am the only person who graduated from that school on this board that is perfectly understandable. I enjoyed seminary a lot and am extremely grateful for the beginning of learning that took place there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back