Where does Augustine, if he does, assign authorship of the Creed to the Apostles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Where, if he does, might Augustine assign authorship of the Apostles' Creed to the apostles? Rutherford indicates he did but the place cited is not explicit that I can tell. Augustine would have been using the old Roman form according to Schaff; but I'm not sure that he actually does assign it to them unless in a round about way that I'm not getting from Latin. Below is what Rutherford wrote in Pretended Liberty of Conscience with my notes so far. Ruffinus clearly does who is a contemporary I think there is not any reason to think Augustine doesn't as well, except I don't get it out of the reference given, which suffers from typos and lack of clarity.

Though Irenaeus, lib. 1, c. 3,[1] Tertullian, de Virginibus velandis,[2] Augusti., to. 10, de Tempore, sar. 2,[3] and Rufinus in the exposition of the Creed,[4] say that which is called the Apostles’ Creed came from the Apostles, yet there is no sufficient ground for us to believe the authentic authority of it.

[1] [Read cap. 10. Irenaeus, Against Heresies, book 1, chapter 10. Rutherford is reading Irenaeus as referring to the Apostles’ Creed, but he wrote before the creation of it, and historians refer to this as a similar or proto-creed to the later creed. Cf. Sancti Irenæi Lugdunensis episcopi, et martyris Aduersus Valentini (1639), p. 51.]
[2] [This again is seen by scholars as a similar predecessor to the Apostles’ Creed. See Tertullian, “Of the Veiling of Virgins,” chapter 1, ANF 4, p. 27. Cf. Tertulliani rediuiui Opera, scholijs et obseruationibus nunquam ante hac editis illustrata. Duobus tomis comprehensa, 2 vols. (Paris, 1646–48), p. 551.]
[3] [read “ser. 2.” It is unclear to what Rutherford is referring. Schaff refers to the addition of “conceived” to the Creed appearing first in the now spurious Sermones de Tempore, which appears is Sermon six but also titled “In Natali Domini, Sermo II.” Augustine taught extensively on the Creed (the old Roman Form), but does not explicitly refer to it as authored by the Apostles in the referenced sermon, if it is indeed the one Rutherford was citing. See Migne, PG 39, col. 2178; Sancti Aurelii Augustini Hipponensis Episcopi Opera omnia (1635–37), vol. 10; cf. ibid., vol. 10 (Lugduni, 1664), page 191.]
[4] [Ruffini Aquileiensis presbyteri Opuscula quædam (Paris, 1580), p. 169; also in Sancti Caecilii Cypriani Opera (Paris, 1643), p. 538. See Rufinus, “A Commentary on the Apostles’ Creed,” NPNF2, vol. 3, p. 542.]

I don't think Augustine ever made that claim, at least not so directly (discounting the spurious Tempore). In one place he does say,

For this is the Creed which ye are to rehearse and to repeat in answer. These words which ye have heard are in the Divine Scriptures scattered up and down: but thence gathered and reduced into one, that the memory of slow persons might not be distressed; that every person may be able to say, able to hold, what he believes.​
Hoc est enim Symbolum, quod recensuri estis et reddituri. Ista verba quae audistis, per divinas Scripturas sparsa sunt: sed inde collecta et ad unum redacta, ne tardorum hominum memoria laboraret; ut omnis homo possit dicere, possit tenere quod credit.
[De Symbolo ad Catechumenos, 1; NPNF1 3:369; PL 40:627]​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back